PDA

View Full Version : SOS!!!!!! Oil all over my car!!!!

citizen arcane
03-08-2012, 07:10 PM
I work at a refinery (yup one that provides your gasoline and heating oil among other products) went to my car when I knocked off and found it covered in oil. There was a release of what appears to be a medium crude that "rained" on the facility - including my car.

After running it through the coin wash I assessed the damage and it appears as described, medium brown oil that appears to be a "spray". Using the knowledge that lighter oils will remove heavier ones I used WD 40 on the windshield then washed down w/ car wash to good effect then did a test spot on the paint with good results.

Question is: is there a better method than WD 40/car detergent/clay/polish?

Please enlighten me.

OH.......and please no discussion of them hiring this out as the last time this happened the facility totally ruined the finish - so their suggested solution won`t fly w/ me. I do intend to bring the car to a few body shops to get their recommendations as to whether the paint is trashed before proceeding. So I guess I`m really collecting data here in case I do it myself. For the record I have a PC and Flex, pads and a few polishes on hand.

Ron Ketcham
03-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Before I retired, one of my clients was Detail Masters who does these large emissions releases from refineries.

You need the ValuGard ABC system, wash the vehicle, following the instructions and it will clean, without damaging, the pores of the paint, removing all the sulfuric acids, etc that are present.

You may also source this system from Ford under their MotorCraft label, same products, just that ValuGard private labels it for Ford.

ValuGard.net

Grumpy

togwt
03-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Before retirement this happened to to both my personal and company vehicles on more than a few occasions, Valuguard`s ABC system was the most effective remedy

citizen arcane
03-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the timely and informative replies. A question though - reading through Valugard`s site it is not mentioned that the Neutralization System will remove petroleum distillates (oil) and it seems both your responses indicate it will - I`m confused.

Dan
03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
ABC will remove just about everything except your paint...lol. You could also try kerosene.

citizen arcane
03-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Anyone who followed this thread or may find it in a search - I didn`t want to wait to have the Valugard ABC system delivered ( will check on it today to have for future use) and found Goof Off Heavy Duty Spot Remover & Degreaser Goof Off Heavy Duty (22oz Trigger Spray) | Goof Off (http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/products/goof-off-heavy-duty/22oz-trigger-spray) available at Lowes.

After about an hour, half a bottle of product and fourteen utility MFs later the oil was removed with no perceivable ill effects to glass/plastic/clear coat. I then did two passes using Meg`s PRC with a Flex, white pads (three) and moderate pressure also a PC (two pads) in the tighter places to rid the marring from the oil removal; then went on to plastic/rubber dressing.

I have about four and a half hours and back pain tied up in getting their mistake off my finish - shame is I probably won`t be compensated for it.

Ron Ketcham
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
A half an hour using the ABC system, with two buckets, two mitts and a drying towel, you would have been done.

All the surfaces, down in the creaveses. the trim, around the trim, etc, all clean and finished.

Grumpy

citizen arcane
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I hope there`s not a next time but am buying the ABC system soon.........thanks for all the replies.

Edit:

Just ordered the ABC system - seems like I`ll use this 3 - 4 times a year to remove fallout........once again thanks for the heads up.