PDA

View Full Version : Annuder newbie: need a basic regime of exterior/interior car care

searancher
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Hello. I am new on the forum and a consumer not a detailer. I have a brand new VW Jetta which I would like to take better care of than its predecessor. I have learned about clear coats and understand that anything....wax or polymer coat should be "clear coat safe". So what would be a basic regime or schedule of exterior and interior maintenance for a new car? This would include recommended products and intervals of application.

Thanks very much.

cptzippy
03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
There`s some options here and it depends on how far you want to get into this addiction I mean obsession I mean enjoyable past time.

I personally have gone to using a lot of rinse less and waterless options. I started out with ONR (Optimum No Rinse) which basically involves using a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of water and two capfuls of ONR. Then you just go panel by panel and wash it off and then dry. Now I find myself using waterless wash products (many out there now). These you just spray on and wipe off. Beyond that is the `traditional two bucket method" that many use involving a hose, two buckets (one rinse, one with auto shampoo), a wash mitt, and drying towels. All are good and have their ups and downs.

There is also a lot to explore about claying your paint, polishing, and a dizzying variety of waxes and protectants. Just about any product you`ll find mentioned on here will be good for your clear coat paint as virtually all cars now have that paint system.

Best tip, use quality microfiber towels for all you do.

David Fermani
03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi searancher. I moved your thread to the Car Detailing sub-section so more members can view this to help. There is lots of info for you to explore.