PDA

View Full Version : Which product makes pigment faded single stage paint more vibrant?

Chazman
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I recently purchased an `85 IROC-Z, with factory single stage yellow paint. This color is notorious for having pigments which fade quickly. I have done all of the clay, polish/buff, etc., steps and the finish is much improved. However, when I take it outside in the sun, it`s obvious, that the color is faded and pale. I`ve also tried Megs # 7 in an attempt to get some essential oils into the single stage paint.

Anyone have any tricks or products which might give it a deeper color, that I should try?

Ron Ketcham
03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
A. It is not really possible to put "oils" back into the paint. That is an old wives tale from years ago with old laquers, and #7 was the go to, King for a Day and it was evaporated off the paint, just made it look good for a short time.

Yellow is as tough as red, and with all my years in the business, both sides, never found anything that would really do the job for more than a day to a week or so.

B. Anything you put on the paint will just create an opitical ollusion of changing the depth/color of the paint for a short time span.

Grumpy

Dan
03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
#7 topped with #26 is probably going to be as good as you can get.

Chazman
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I`d be okay with optical illusions.

David Fermani
03-06-2012, 06:10 PM
It is not really possible to put "oils" back into the paint. That is an old wives tale from years ago with old laquers, and #7 was the go to, King for a Day and it was evaporated off the paint, just made it look good for a short time.

I remember all the single stage Ford paint on Tempos, Mustangs & Probes that were hungry when it came close to "feeding" time. :rolleyes: :pound:

togwt
03-07-2012, 04:59 AM
The Optimum Hyper range of polishes, Menzerna Intensive Polish or Meguiar`s M80, with its diminishing abrasives work very well on single stage paint, removing moderate defects and nicely refining the finish, the polishing oils will restore gloss and depth. Start with Lake County (LC) Orange (light) cutting foam you may also want to try an LC Green polishing foam pad.

tomstin
03-07-2012, 08:17 AM
For my single stage white Honda I have found Optimum Poli-Seal does a real nice job of cleaning out all the dead paint. I`ve used it for years. Back in November I contacted Optimum about Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 and they suggested it was ideal for single stage paint. I spent the $60 and tried it. What a difference! The Honda is outside 24X7 and I finally got a chance to wash it again two weeks ago. For the first time ever, the dirt rinsed off like it does on my clear coated cars. Well worth the investment. Just get the paint as good as you can before a IPA wiped down and the application of Opti-Coat.

Chazman
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Also, I don`t think it`s simply a matter of buffing off the dead faded paint. The door jams for example, appear to be the same faded shade. I also suspect that the paint is a little thin in spots, as the PO said that he had it buffed. Even Megs 105 seemed a bit to agressive for the old paint on a couple of spots I tried it on.

With that said, after buffing with 205 and some old Malm`s polish, I still had on the shelf, with a Griot`s orange pad, there are small areas on the crest of the fender which in direct sunlight, look like a deeper, rejuvinated yellow.

C. Charles Hahn
03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Personally I still prefer the older Meguiar`s diminishing abrasive polishes (M8x series) for single stage. I`d pick up some M83 (Dual Action Cleaner/Polish) and some M80 (Speed Glaze) to work with on it with.

umi000
03-08-2012, 02:36 AM
The Optimum Hyper range of polishes, Menzerna Intensive Polish or Meguiar`s M80, with its diminishing abrasives work very well on single stage paint, removing moderate defects and nicely refining the finish, the polishing oils will restore gloss and depth. Start with Lake County (LC) Orange (light) cutting foam you may also want to try an LC Green polishing foam pad.

I believe the Optimum hyper range is now non-diminishing...

Chazman
03-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Hmmmm.....

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/139920-lsp-darken-paint.html