PDA

View Full Version : Need professional/expert advice

Wanderer
03-04-2012, 07:13 PM
I posted this in the "professional detailer general discussion" forum, but figured I`d get more exposure here. Its basically a rotary vs DA/RO question for someone starting there own business. I`ve got an itchy trigger finger and I`m ready to pull the trigger on a $400+ order, hense my impatience LOL :waxing:

Heres the link

http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/139845-first-post-opinions-needed.html

So far my order is;

GG6"

LC 5" BP

Opti MF polish pad x3

Opti compound II

Opti polish II

Opti finish polish

Opti poly-seal

Megs 105

Megs 205

Cookie monster buffing towel

Wolfgang Plastik lens cleaning system

Probably gonna be doin a bit of mobile to start with so I`ll be polishing out in the sun, thats why I went with the optimum line, plus I LOVE the No Rinse. I got the megs 105 and 205 for my Audi UrS6 and VW`s :yo:

Cheers,

Paul

SVR
03-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Whilst I started out with a rotary back in 1998, today a real pro detailer must have many machine power tools. An RO and a DA machine polishe is a must

What I mean by DA, a forced rotation machine polisher- Flex XC3401 etc, Festool Rotex etc

use the RO`s to correct tight areas, doors if you hate polishing them with forced rotations and rotaries as I do and the final step or two with 80 to 100 ppi foam

I have a metabo sxe400 80mm sized random orbital, two makita 9227`s, 1 dynabrade 61375 random orbital power head with various PC backing plates for it,

A Makita BO6030 random orbital 4,000 to 10,000 opm polisher/sander which when combined with hard thin backing plate and surbuf, rayon and opt MF pads, is a correction weapon but the easiest machine to use. superb for finishing

getting an ultramate 900 watt random orbital machine next then a Flex XC3401, I use a Festool Rotex and Shinex also but do not own them

you gotta have the ro`s and da`s. rotary only is a tough gig, it can be done but why work harder and not smarter

I suggest you choose two polishes or three max, I use two products from Xpert and thats it. for chrome, glass, wheel, HLR polishing, paintwork and tail light swirl correction

Invest in the power and hand tools and todays pad technologies to really stand out and above the hackers in our industry. Surbuf, flexipad rayon pads and opt microfibres and you`ll achieve a magnificent finish with less fatigue than using a rotary. have the rotary and a dynabrade around for serious work like lowering orange peel levels and doing high end paint correction

911fanatic
03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
If you are starting out, a DA is the way to go. The Griots machine has more than enough power to clean up anything you are going to run into. As a newbie, I wouldn`t advertise full corrections until you have a bit of experience anyway. As for polishes, contact Scottwax here as he does a lot of polishing in the direct sun and can offer advice on what works and doesn`t. Where in BC are you? I`m in Maple Ridge, just outside of Vancouver. I`ve been detailing for 19 years, half of that mobile so give me a call if you have any questions. :) 604.561.5121

Dan
03-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Go with the GG6 DA. With MF it will be enough to correct most paints. If you decide that you need more speed, you can grab a rotary later.

Accumulator
03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Wanderer- Welcome to Autopia! Fellow Audi nut here (I had a few of the UrS4/S6 cars too).

Yeah, get the Griot`s polisher. I simply never touch my rotaries any more.

FWIW, I don`t reach for M105/M205 as much as I used to. I did my last Audi correction with Uno on a MF pad and I often use something other the M205 to finish with (if only because the M205 oils can be such a PIA). On Audis, I often like 1z High Gloss or Menzerna. So maybe rethink those two, especially since you`re already buying all those Optimum products.

Wanderer
03-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Accumulator- Love my Audi`s, I`m on my second UrS. I had a `92 S4 (the first year and the one with all the cool shiz) and my current one is a `97 (the last year) Europa blue on Ecru, cant wait to polish up the Europa, such a nice colour! I`ve also owned countless VWs, I currently have a MK3 GTi VR6 and the other half has a MK2 Jetta :)

I really want to get Menzerna SIP and SF4000 but I can only get it in 32oz bottles for $50, whereas the Megs I can get in 8oz bottles for $11. I wasnt sure if the Opti compound would have the same cutting ability on the harder clears as the Megs or Menzerna products would... I would also like to try Uno but the supplier I`m using doesnt carry it (yet?).

detailfanatic- I`m on Salt Spring Island, southern gulf islands near Victoria. Thanks for the offer ;)

Thanks for all the advice guys, I`m gonna get the GG6" for sure, just need to figure out my polish and pad selection (still unsure about getting MF pads over various foam pads...).

Cheers,

Paul

Ron Ketcham
03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Get both, there will be finishes where one will work better than the other.

After all, we don`t win wars with only one type of weapon.

Grumpy

Wanderer
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Ron Ketcham- Both the Opti polishes and the Megs? Or both the MF and Foam pads? Or all of the above LOL

Ron Ketcham
03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
The pads, with the right pads and a little experience, you can make almost any product work just fine.

Grumpy

Accumulator
03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Wanderer- Of the Optimum compounds, I`ve only used their Hyper Spray Compound. It does *not* cut anything like M105 or Uno and on hard clear it`s more like an aggressive polish than a compound. Incredibly user-friendly though.

But yeah, I do understand about not wanting to buy huge bottles of product that`ll just sit on the shelf. You won`t go wrong with the Meguiar`s stuff.

And yeah, Audi seemed to quit offering neat little features as models matured back in those years. ABS-kill switches come to mind...

Those sound like nice cars you and yours have there :xyxthumbs