PDA

View Full Version : First post, opinions needed

Wanderer
03-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Greetings Autopians,

Just looking for some professional advice and opinions. I worked in a detailing shop for about a year, I moved 5 months ago for a new job then got layed off after 3 months :angry. So, I`ve decided to now go back to what I love doing and start up my own detailing business. I only have experience using a rotary polisher (makita 9227), but since I`m just starting out and need to try to save as much money as possible,, I was considering getting a PC7424 or a GG RO for now and a makita 9227 when I have a little more money and customers. Or do you think I should just shell out the dosh now and get the makita that I know and love? I have read that quite a few of you have both a PC/DA and a rotary and end up using your PC/DA more than the rotary. So what do YOU use on a regular basis?

Since I found this site and started lurking and reading until my head hurts, I have started to realise just how clueless the place I worked was/is. They laughed when I asked if you could cut paint with a PC (we only used a PC for applying sealant). We used a locally made polish (Ducan) and we offered a "one-size-fits-all" paint correction, basically 1000-1500 and then a 3000 for dark cars, didnt try to find the least abrasive method. The polish we used couldnt really cut BMW, Merc, VW, Audi, etc. paint so we just basically leaned on the polisher as hard as we could, which got the paint hot to the touch, and it still didnt really cut, obviously (cant wait to get some Menzerna SIP or Megs 105 to cut my Audi UrS6 and GTi). We used the same foam pads for everything, other than a hard yellow cutting pad that nobody ever really used. We only clay barred if there was over spray or a customer requested it. Anyway, you get the idea lol.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Thomas Dekany
03-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Get the GG PC. Also some micro fiber pads. 5"backing plate and the 5" optimum pads. Ditch the 6" plate

Welcome to the world of Autopia. :)

Wanderer
03-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Why micro fiber? Are they just a good all around pad to use, so I dont have to spend so much up front on different foam pads? How many cars on average can you do with 1 micro fiber pad?

I`m thinking of getting some opti compound II, opti polish II, opti finish, opti poly-seal for general use as I may end up polishing in the sun sometimes. I`m also gonna get some megs 105 and 205 for my audi and vws, and for customers with harder paint. I want to try Menzerna but cant get it in 8oz bottles like the megs and dont feel like spending $50 on 32oz right now. Was also thinkin about getting the "wolfgang plastik lens cleaning system".

Richard Grasa
03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
I use a PC7424XP, have not touched a rotary since I learned how to be correct with a DA. If I were going to buy another DA, I`d go for the GG. I use Meg`s 105, 205 and 151 for just about everything. Sometimes I will use a different polish, but 99% of the time 105 followed by 205, or 151 by itself if just light correction or a one-step does just fine for me. I mostly use a yellow or orange LC pad, sometimes a black pad for finessing. I have not used the MF pads yet, but plan on ordering some in the near future. They are supposed to cut like wool but finish like foam, but I can`t give any first hand feedback about them yet. I don`t have a huge arsenal of polishes, I`ve pretty much found what I like and stick to it for the most part. Though once in a while I will get something different to try, but with doing mostly express details, one-steps and light correction, and only the occasional full correction job, those 3 products have sufficed quite well for me.

Wanderer
03-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the advice guys

David Fermani
03-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Welcome to Autopia. I believe BuffDaddy has a starter kit you might like:

Meguiar`s Dual Action Polishing Kit (http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/G110v2-KIT-PK1)

It`s desiged for people entering DA correction. Cool paint is happy paint. Once you get a couple of hours under your belt, the only thing you`ll be using that rotary for is for cleaning/drying your pads.

imported_Picus
03-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Once you get a couple of hours under your belt, the only thing you`ll be using that rotary for is for cleaning/drying your pads.

So true... brings a tear to my eye every time I see my Makita collecting dust on the shelf.

David Fermani
03-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I guess you can always add a Dynabrade attachment for the best of both worlds?!?!