PDA

View Full Version : So I`m almost guarantee a job at a detailer- What can I learn in a month

GoonOnfire
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
hey guys, I am new to this forum but I figured that this would be an appropriate time to create a username here.

So, my goal of working from home is still in the works, if it goes as planned I`m golden but its that time where I thought to myself "If this is taking so much time, I can handle another job too." So I went out and went to the first auto detailer I could find that was near by, and sure enough the guy who worked there was just getting back from lunch and approached me just as I pulled in. I asked him if they were hiring and that I really wanted to work at a place like this because of how much I love cars, and he told me that in a months time, business will pick up, and that they will need more people. We got off to a really good start, and because of that I believe he will hire me.

So in a months time, what can I learn to be prepared for a detailer job?

Now trust me, I know I could not consider myself a detailer obviously because I`ve only done my friends/parents cars + mine, but you need to start somewhere.

So any advice?

Thanks!

Dan
03-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Get some rotary skills, but beyond that, the shop will likely have its own "ways" to do everything, so in most cases they will want you to forget all you learned (and they`ll say its wrong).

GoonOnfire
03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Lol, alright I`ll keep that in mind!

While re-reading my post, and then reading all of the posts on this forum of guys fixing lambo`s, BMW`s and Gtr`s, I wanted to say that I hope I didn`t come off as too clueless. I understand that detailing takes a long time to get good at, so I just thought I`d point out that by no means was I trying to make it seem like a "1 month to learn" deal.

Dan
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
It all depends on the shop, I`m generalising but 99 out of 100 shops are not what you`d call Autopian, just places for everyday folks to get their cars cleaned and shined up.

David Fermani
03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
So in a months time, what can I learn to be prepared for a detailer job?

I`d stick to Wash & Waxes. And or strongly consider coming to this free seminar:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-detailer-specialties-training-seminars-news/139354-paint-correction-training-class-barry-theal-presidential-details.html

Junebug
03-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Depends on the shop. Is it a high volume place where most details are wash, 1 step buff, wax and interior? or is it high end cars with picky owners and deep pockets? My guess would be the former not the latter. That said, be prepared to clean some of the most disgusting interiors you have ever seen. On the bright side, you`ll have some amazing before & after pics! Dig deep, stick with it and learn all you can. This is boot camp, once you learn the basics, you`ll be ready to specialize (if you so choose).

Good luck!

GoonOnfire
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Depends on the shop. Is it a high volume place where most details are wash, 1 step buff, wax and interior? or is it high end cars with picky owners and deep pockets? My guess would be the former not the latter. That said, be prepared to clean some of the most disgusting interiors you have ever seen. On the bright side, you`ll have some amazing before & after pics! Dig deep, stick with it and learn all you can. This is boot camp, once you learn the basics, you`ll be ready to specialize (if you so choose).

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone! I would love to do the before and after pictures, and as you guys said waxing/buffing is huge so the next warm day I get I`ll do it!

here is the site

All Pro Detail - Bucks & Philly`s Finest Detail Shop, Auto Detailing Phila, Car Detailing Phila, Car Wash Phila, Car Detailing Newtown 18940, Richboro 18954 Langhorne 19047, Willow Grove 19090, Abington Jenkintown 19001, Auto Detailing Pa, Bucks Coun (http://www.allprodetail.com/)

imported_Picus
03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Very tough to say how they will approach the detailing side of their business from that site. I would definitely try to pick up any experience you can with PDR, though.

hacadacalopolis
03-03-2012, 12:21 AM
For every question you have i suggest bringing it up on this website. I believe that is the benefit of this awesome forums.

Kean
03-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Very tough to say how they will approach the detailing side of their business from that site. I would definitely try to pick up any experience you can with PDR, though. ....exactly what I was thinking.

Ron Ketcham
03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
What is his pay plan?

By the hour or by the car?

Let`s say he pays by the car, and it`s $30 a car, which is pretty much what the going rate for detail workers, some may be less, some more.

That`s gonna mean you got to shove out at least three cars a day, four if you got some cream puffs, to make any money.

Which is why these kinds of shops do not do the kind of work the enthusists here expect.

Money, money, money!

Grumpy

Jngrbrdman
03-05-2012, 04:29 PM
My recommendation is to make sure you get really good at cleaning interiors. Unless you have experience with a machine already then you are most likely going to get put on interior duty or just initial wash work. I know I wouldn`t put someone who just barely picked up a rotary a month ago on the polishing line. I`d put him on the interior side of things until he has learned the skills needed.

In the end it really depends on the type of operation they are running. Is it a `Car Wash` or is it a `Detail Shop`? At a car wash they are just going to go super fast to wipe down as much as they can and they aren`t really interested in repairing damage. A detail shop is going to have customers dropping their cars off to be picked up in 8 hours or so. So at a car wash you don`t really have to know a whole lot. They are going to either put a towel in your hand or a vacuum. At a detail shop they will be looking for a little more, so I would guess the interview would have given you more information.