PDA

View Full Version : Products in my shelf, can I get it done?

Aguilar
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
What`s on my shelf:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/aguilarsmkv/Z06/IMG_0086.jpg

The car:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/aguilarsmkv/Z06/IMG_0038.jpg

The car is 10 years old with 5000 miles. I tried the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and topped it off with Meguiar`s Tech Wax 2.0. Took me a whole day and it looks the same as before, swirl marks everywhere.

My next plan of attack is to use the 105 with the orange pad, and then the Pinnacle finish polish with the green pad, top it off with Klasse or Collinite. Definitely take my time, do one panel per night, and inspect my work. Will it work?

usdm
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
What`s on my shelf:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/aguilarsmkv/Z06/IMG_0086.jpg

The car:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp138/aguilarsmkv/Z06/IMG_0038.jpg

The car is 10 years old with 5000 miles. I tried the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and topped it off with Meguiar`s Tech Wax 2.0. Took me a whole day and it looks the same as before, swirl marks everywhere.

My next plan of attack is to use the 105 with the orange pad, and then the Pinnacle finish polish with the green pad, top it off with Klasse or Collinite. Definitely take my time, do one panel per night, and inspect my work. Will it work?

You wont know until you try.

Not trying to be jerky, I mean it should work out good, but really, you do have to give a go to have any idea if the steps will work.

Aguilar
02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
I agree. I guess I`m just looking for tips on how to use what I already have effectively, as my last attempt was mediocre; it felt like a whole day gone down the drain.

This is my car so I can take all the time in the world if necessary. From what I`ve read so far it seems like the Corvette clear is quite hard and it might take more passes than most cars.

Dan
02-28-2012, 07:42 AM
The 105 will work for sure, but you need to do a test area (1x1`) and then go from there. Doing the whole car and then wondering what went wrong is a newbie mistake. Your pads look pretty big too, are those 6.5" on an original PC? If so, that`s going to make your work VERY slow going. With that sort of combo, I`d say you`d be spending 1+ hour per fender on light swirling on hard clear.

Aguilar
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks. It`s an older PC, and the pads are about 6 when I measure them. Newbie mistake indeed, but it looked really good in the shade, haha. I`ll get started with tonight with the 105 and the pad I have, hopefully I make some progress.

Dan
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks. It`s an older PC, and the pads are about 6 when I measure them. Newbie mistake indeed, but it looked really good in the shade, haha. I`ll get started with tonight with the 105 and the pad I have, hopefully I make some progress.

Tape off a 1x1 area, break out the stopwatch and get to work. Check out the Kevin Brown method for using 105. The key is not to use too much product and not to work it too long as well as keeping the pad clean. Once you are comfy with your process, do the rest of the car. I think once you do the math on that one small spot you might rethink your strategy.

Accumulator
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Aguilar- Take that "test spot" advice seriously. I`ll be very surprised if you`re able to do the work with those big pads on that machine. My experience has been that the only way to do significant correction on hard clear via PC is to use 4" pads (which *can* do the job, albeit slowly).

Aguilar
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks all. I just looked up the Kevin Brown method and will be giving it a shot later on tonight.

mdbohica
02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks all. I just looked up the Kevin Brown method and will be giving it a shot later on tonight.

I would definitely try the KBM with the orange pad and 105 but with the 6" pads it will probably still take you forever. I would suggest investing in some 5.5 or 4" pads and you may want to try either some Surbuff pads or the new Megs Microfiber correcting pads for Cutting and finishing. Corvette clear is like GRANITE! These pads mixed with 105 will not disappoint.

Paul Sparks
02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
All the members have given you excellent advise. It just makes sense that if you can`t get the test spot to your satisfaction then to continue on would be in vain.I see what you have to work with and wonder if some members here or even members of Pakshak forum located in your state could set you up with smaller pads and backing plate .It wouldn`t hurt to look at m/f pads or even the new white cutting pad from 3D thats starting to get some mention on the forums. Sorry that this isn`t most likely the answer you were wanting to hear but to continue with what you picture would IMO be a long long process to obtain the results you seek.

Accumulator
02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
I would definitely try the KBM with the orange pad and 105 but with the 6" pads it will probably still take you forever. I would suggest investing in some 5.5 or 4" pads and you may want to try either some Surbuff pads or the new Megs Microfiber correcting pads for Cutting and finishing. Corvette clear is like GRANITE! These pads mixed with 105 will not disappoint.

Yeah, seriously.

I`ll risk repeating myself here- after chatting with Kevin about this stuff, I tried M105/6" orange cutting/orig. PC on some *VERY* minor marring in GM clear. No-go :grinno: Complete waste of my time. And that clear wasn`t as hard as `vette clear either.

Yeah, I know, it supposedly works for others. But it sure didn`t IME.

Aguilar
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks all. Had a busy day yesterday, so no time to experiment. I`m convinced though, seeing my result from last time`s attempt, and from what you guys are telling me, I`m going to get me some 4" pads to get started.

jashton
02-29-2012, 11:47 PM
In the future make sure you do a test panel prior to do the whole vehicle. You need to check your work with IPA, halogens and other lighting to verify the defects have been removed and not just filled. You may be able to get correction with 105 and a more aggressive pad, but doing the whole car would still take forever with the Porter Cable.