PDA

View Full Version : Need a good sealant to put under a carnauba wax

Pages : [1] 2

P-nut
02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi guys, I haven`t posted in a long time here but I`m looking for some advice. I have a 1997 Porsche 911 that I`m going to be taking on a 4,000 mile road trip this summer, and I want to apply some good protection that will withstand the elements during the length of the trip in all kinds of weather and probably a lot of bugs too. I`ll probably wash it two or three times during the trip.

The car is normally a garage queen and the only LSP I`ve been using is P21S Concours carnauba. The car is black with a clearcoat, and the carnauba looks fantastic on it. However, we all know the wax isn`t durable at all and I don`t think it will hold up very well on a long trip through all kinds of weather, plus several washes. I won`t have the opportunity to reapply it during the trip. So, I`d like to lay down a good sealant before the trip, and layer some carnauba on top of that. The sealant ought to be durable enough to last the duration.

I`ve used Zaino in the past but don`t care for the plasticky look. Any suggestions for something else that would look great, give good protection and that a carnauba would be able to adhere to?

2005GTPinMD
02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Why not just get something like Collonite 845 or FK1000P? And then something like OCW to use on the road after a wash.

I would also consider getting some painter`s tape or the temporary film from Griots?

Greg Gellas
02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Why not Wolfs Mask product?

Ch96067
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Fk1000p (2 layers) and optiseal are both safe bets I think.

Have a blast on your trip. Would love to do one through parts of Europe at some point.

911fanatic
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger, though a sealant, looks very good on dark solids. Its easy to apply, has awesome durability, and after each wash, would only take about 20 minutes to coat the entire car so could easily be done while you are on your tour. Two coats back to back before you leave and top up after each wash.

DM101
02-28-2012, 06:37 AM
The best sealant I have used, and used many, is HD Poxy! Absolutely stunning finish on a well prep car. HD UNO is an excellent prep. I always have trouble picking which product to use between my Zymol Vintage or Poxy. Polymer Sealant Car Wax & Car Paint Protectant - HD POXY 32 oz | 3D Products (http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Poxy.html)

Accumulator
02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
P-nut- I`d be all about protection, so one more vote for FK1000P x 2.

imported_MCA
02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I use to be all about putting down a foundation of sealant (many layers) followed by wax (multiple layers) in order to either enhance looks or prolong longevity. I am sure this is blasphemy to some but i do think layering is a little over-rated these days. Previously, I would do a few layers of Klasse SG followed by whatever wax i felt at the time...but once done this way, I could never add on another layer of SG down the road. If durability is your biggest priority, i would try try some FK1000P or some 845 topped with nothing else. Assuming a prepped surface, the look would be great and durability would second to none. Plus, you can easily "refresh" the protection by putting on another layer down the road.

Dan
02-28-2012, 03:02 PM
I use to be all about putting down a foundation of sealant (many layers) followed by wax (multiple layers) in order to either enhance looks or prolong longevity. I am sure this is blasphemy to some but i do think layering is a little over-rated these days. Previously, I would do a few layers of Klasse SG followed by whatever wax i felt at the time...but once done this way, I could never add on another layer of SG down the road. If durability is your biggest priority, i would try try some FK1000P or some 845 topped with nothing else. Assuming a prepped surface, the look would be great and durability would second to none. Plus, you can easily "refresh" the protection by putting on another layer down the road.

I agree, and besides, KSG is one of the few (if at all) products that actually do layer past the second application. The rest is hype.

DM101
02-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Agree for durability but IMO there are better looking products out there than KSG, 845, and FK1000P. Again just my opinion.

I agree, and besides, KSG is one of the few (if at all) products that actually do layer past the second application. The rest is hype.

Dan
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Agree for durability but IMO there are better looking products out there than KSG, 845, and FK1000P. Again just my opinion.

I agree, especially on colors other than silver/white. Those three look great on silver or white.

Scottwax
02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Clearkote`s Carnauba Moose is pretty durable and looks great on black. Otherwise I`d go with Opti-Seal which is really nice on black as well. I`d go one or the other and like 2005GTPinMD suggested, use OCW after each or every other wash to keep it looking its best.

P-nut
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I haven`t used any of those mentioned, but I`m familiar with most of them and know they`re all good products. On this trip protection is the top priority.

Scottwax - I do like Optimum products but I`m a little hesitant about the Opti-seal, as I never seemed to get very good results with Zaino Z-CS. Is Opti-seal better?

DM101
02-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Then I would go for FK1000P. Bulletproof stuff. Prep is also key here. Make sure you have a good surface to work with.

Accumulator
02-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Heh heh, you and I could do another of our good :argue over that "layering" subject :chuckle:

Now that I *won`t* argue with :grinno: While I do actually *like* FK1000P on certain paints, I sure wouldn`t call it the last word in beauty-LSPs, let alone on a black Porsche!

BUT...I really do think it`ll be the best protection for this particular situation. I`d be all about *NOT* having some major paint issues when the trip is over with. Thinking about how, for example...my fresh coats of certain sealants failed to protect my S8 against bug-etching when I took that car on roadtrips. For good protection, easy cleanups, and resisance to things like touchless car washes, I think the FK would be hard to beat.