PDA

View Full Version : ONR vs. UWWA as a quick detailer

walletless
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Anyone used Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, or Optimum No Rinse (as a QD)? Which one is better in your opinion? Both seem to have polymers which enhances the shine and prevents dirt from easily accumulating.

ONR requires a dilution of 8oz per gallon to use as a quick detailer - making it a good cost-effective solution compared to UWWA. But besides the cost, does either product hold any advantage over the other?

There is also a new 2012 ONR formula introduced last week which supposedly has a slicker feeling when used as a QD.

walletless
02-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Anyone has opinions on this?

Jamie 80
02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I have used ONR seems to work well, try it at different ratios and see how you feel about it.-Jamie

nonwelder
02-29-2012, 09:39 PM
I`ve used ONR at QD Strength. Works well. Obviously some nice cleaning power. I use it on road trips to clean off bugs and road grime. I am interested in the meg`s product for my road trip duty as I dont use much at a time and it would be ok in terms of cost effectiveness. When I run out of ONR, I`ll spring for the new version or perhaps the new Meg`s rinseless wash.

I pretty much use a dedicated QD. There are several good options, both OTC and more boutique. Garry Dean also has an interesting product in his lineup. So many options... :)

justin30513
03-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Opti Clean is my favorite now. It blows Megs Last Touch out of the water as a quick detailer.

I also use it on my hardwood floors and tile. Makes the next cleaning so easy.

walletless
03-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks everyone. I ordered ONR v3 - seems like it is a good bet overall as a rinseless as well as QD.

justin30513
03-04-2012, 11:26 AM
And at 8oz. per gallon, it can also be used as a waterless wash.

This came directly from Dr.G.

jmsc
03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I know that ONR is not marketed as a waterless wash but has anyone used it as such?

I`d be interested in your comments/exp/pros/cons/comparisons to other waterless products.

walletless
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Isn`t QD same as waterless? sorry if it is a dumb question..

SpoolinNoMore
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
QD means you use it as a quick spot-cleaner (smudges on a door, bird droppings, etc.) where you just spritz the spot and wipe gently with a MF. Waterless Wash means you wash the whole car with the solution - generally they have more cleaning power and less gloss enhancers. For all practical purposes, they can both be used almost the same IMO. With waterless washes I typically let my wash medium (usually MF pad) become fairly saturated by spritzing it before starting to clean, whereas with QDing I`ll just spritz my MF cloth once before wiping the spot I sprayed.

Legacy
03-04-2012, 11:46 PM
If you mix ONR at 8 ozs. per gallon the answer is yes.
Isn`t QD same as waterless? sorry if it is a dumb question..

umi000
03-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Have you considered Ultima`s Waterless Wash? I used to use ONR as my cleaning QD, but switched over to UWW+

as soon as I used it - feels more lubricated, and leaves the paint feeling slicker than ONR, as well as a bit glossier. Would love to see how the new ONR works as a QD, though.

imported_Quenga
07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Have you considered Ultima`s Waterless Wash? I used to use ONR as my cleaning QD, but switched over to UWW+

as soon as I used it - feels more lubricated, and leaves the paint feeling slicker than ONR, as well as a bit glossier. Would love to see how the new ONR works as a QD, though.

I`ve used both and I prefer ONR because it`s more convenient and slightly more affordable.

ONR - $39.99 / 128oz = $0.31oz * 8 = $2.50 for a gallon of "waterless"

Optima - $20.99/16oz = $1.31oz * .5 = $0.66 * 5.81 = $3.81 for a gallon of waterless.

In words, each oz of ONR is 31 cents and you need 8 for a gallon of waterless, which means it`ll cost $2.50 per gallon. Optima uses 1/2 oz for a 22oz solution, which is 17% of a gallon, so multiply that by roughly 5.81 and you get $3.81 for a gallon of Ultima.

It`s only $1.31 more a gallon, but after 100 gallons that`s $131.00, which still isn`t that much considering how many cars you can get done with 1 gallon. However, I would only need to order ONR once ever 16 gallons, but would need to order Optima every 5.5 gallons, or 11 if I bought 2 at the same time for the price of 1 gallon of ONR. So you`d have to spend $60 for 3 bottles to get the same amount as ONR with $40.

Probably way more information than anyone cares to know, but I break down all my costs to the pennies and consider the time value of money. Not to mention, I use ONR for more than just waterless/rinseless and I wouldn`t need gloss added if I`m doing correction or wax jobs.

Legacy
07-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I`ve used both and I prefer ONR because it`s more convenient and slightly more affordable.

ONR - $39.99 / 128oz = $0.31oz * 8 = $2.50 for a gallon of "waterless"

Optima - $20.99/16oz = $1.31oz * .5 = $0.66 * 5.81 = $3.81 for a gallon of waterless.

In words, each oz of ONR is 31 cents and you need 8 for a gallon of waterless, which means it`ll cost $2.50 per gallon. Optima uses 1/2 oz for a 22oz solution, which is 17% of a gallon, so multiply that by roughly 5.81 and you get $3.81 for a gallon of Ultima.

It`s only $1.31 more a gallon, but after 100 gallons that`s $131.00, which still isn`t that much considering how many cars you can get done with 1 gallon. However, I would only need to order ONR once ever 16 gallons, but would need to order Optima every 5.5 gallons, or 11 if I bought 2 at the same time for the price of 1 gallon of ONR. So you`d have to spend $60 for 3 bottles to get the same amount as ONR with $40.

Probably way more information than anyone cares to know, but I break down all my costs to the pennies and consider the time value of money. Not to mention, I use ONR for more than just waterless/rinseless and I wouldn`t need gloss added if I`m doing correction or wax jobs.Thanks for all the numbers, but before you can use up a gallon, something better comes along. The moral of this story, don`t buy too much to be thrifty.