PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with the fallowing detailing supplies?

dtailmycar
02-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi Guys, Not a pro just a weekend warrior and frequent forum reader that wants to have a clean car. I have the fallowing "limited" supplies and would like to detail my silver 2004 Toyota Corolla daily driver. My goal is not extensive surface/defects correction. I will be all right with a gloss enhancement, wetness and some added shine. Please include order of products/process and/or any other tips you got. This is what I own, please be gently on this newbie.

*porter cable (first gen not XP)

*4`` yellow/orange/white erase foam pads

*SSR2.5

*Menzerna Intensive Polish (old formula)

*Clearkote vanilla moose

*Clearkote Red machine glaze

*Carnauba moose wax

*Hi-Temp extreme cut

(I think I have a small amount of Collinite Insulator Wax left and dome Duragloss 105 Total Perfomance Polish around)

Thanks for reading,

Emmanuel (Puerto Rico)

Jamie 80
02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Hello from Savannah Ga. Well I think you have plenty of choices in wax. If your not worried about correcting but adding some gloss and protection, give a proper wash and clay and add a nice coat of wax. You have some good choices in that department. You have slim choices in the pad and polish area, I personally would not try to correct the entire car with 4 inch pads.

Hope this helps -Jamie

08Sunburst
02-25-2012, 07:10 PM
If it were me, id get a new backing plate, and order up some new pads, either foam, or the newer MF pads.

Id also get some HD poxy/uno.

That would pretty much take care of any correction and protection. After that, it depends on where you want to go. Wheel cleaner/degreaser, claybar, rinseless washes, brushes, etc etc.

Accumulator
02-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi Guys, Not a pro just a weekend warrior and frequent forum reader that wants to have a clean car. I have the fallowing "limited" supplies and would like to detail my silver 2004 Toyota Corolla daily driver. My goal is not extensive surface/defects correction. I will be all right with a gloss enhancement, wetness and some added shine. Please include order of products/process and/or any other tips you got. This is what I own, please be gently on this newbie.

*porter cable (first gen not XP)

*4`` yellow/orange/white erase foam pads

*SSR2.5

*Menzerna Intensive Polish (old formula)

*Clearkote vanilla moose

*Clearkote Red machine glaze

*Carnauba moose wax

*Hi-Temp extreme cut

(I think I have a small amount of Collinite Insulator Wax left and dome Duragloss 105 Total Perfomance Polish around)

Thanks for reading,

Emmanuel (Puerto Rico)

IMO you oughta get some clay and clay the car before you start polishing.

I`m not all that familiar with your pads/polishes, but you want to match an aggressive pad to an aggressive polish and a mild pad to a mild polish. Such as-

-HT EC/yellow or orange

-Menzerna IP/yellow or oranage

-SSR2.5/orange or white

-VM/white

Use whatever aggressive combo it takes to get the scratches out/better. Then use a milder combo to refine the finish.

Keep your pads clean. That might mean stopping to clean/dry them quite often, depending on how many of those little pads you have.

And yeah, IMO you *do* need to use 4" pads with that machine to get anything done.

I`d probably want to do one/two panels at a time, after each of a series of regularly scheduled washes. Since each one/two-panel correction might take hours, that will keep each session reasonable; working for a dozen hours straight (which might not be enough for the whole job anyhow) can be sooo demanding that most people start to make mistakes. So split it up into something you can manage.

Be sure you have a plan and know what to expect at each step along the way. Be sure to do test spots to see if a given combo/approach is what you really want to do. Be sure to inspect your work frequently so you don`t do the whole car only to pull it out into the sunlight and discover that something went wrong; catch and mistakes early and correct them (i.e., figure out what you should`ve done differently) before moving on.

I dunno if there`s much point in using both the VM and the Red Moose Glaze, but I`d use the VM first.

Top with the Collinite 845 (my preference) or the Carnauba Moose Wax as the last step.

dtailmycar
02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Hey accumulator exactly what I as hoping to get. Thanks for taking the time to do this.