PDA

View Full Version : Ford Explorer Hood

imported_DougSmiley
02-24-2012, 11:19 PM
This hood really need repainted, but it`s my parent`s "beater" and they`re not gonna do that. What are these tiny marks? There are hundreds.. thousands of them after polishing. I think they`re just less visable before polish cause theres so much swirl. This is after megs 105 and ssr2. Will they ever come out or will I be taking way too much clear to even try? Is it sun baked clear? I know the bird bombs are never leaving, some are down to the primer : (

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/5738/20120224221855902.jpg

imported_DougSmiley
02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
On a happier note the rest is gonna look pretty good after polish. Heres a test spot i did on the QP

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9972/20120224222557319.jpg

C. Charles Hahn
02-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Almost looks like checking/paint system failure.... more of a common issue on Honda OEM paint but not unheard of on others.

I would suggest taking a look at it under a magnifier and see if you can tell if it`s down into the E-coat, which I`m guessing it may be.

Looks also like you`ve got some bird etchings going on there.

imported_DougSmiley
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Yeah some of that bird etching is a lost cause. Down to the primer.

Interestingly most of the vehicle is more like the QP. Just the hood is this horrible.

FYI this vehicle hadnt seen a washing in probably 3 years before this

I`m wondering if some glaze will reduce these, since they`re too deep to really remove safely. I`m usually not one to reach for a band aid but in this case.. i`m feeling its the only way to reduce these a little.

C. Charles Hahn
02-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah some of that bird etching is a lost cause. Down to the primer.

Interestingly most of the vehicle is more like the QP. Just the hood is this horrible.

FYI this vehicle hadnt seen a washing in probably 3 years before this

I`m wondering if some glaze will reduce these, since they`re too deep to really remove safely. I`m usually not one to reach for a band aid but in this case.. i`m feeling its the only way to reduce these a little.

If that is exposed primer like I`m guessing, no glaze is going to hide them unfortunately.

imported_DougSmiley
02-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Nah i dont think its primer. the bird bomb is primer. i think its just a deep clearcoat scratch- almost like its dried and "cracked" in the sun it what it appears to be

C. Charles Hahn
02-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Nah i dont think its primer. the bird bomb is primer. i think its just a deep clearcoat scratch- almost like its dried and "cracked" in the sun it what it appears to be

Well, like I said, I`d look at it under a magnifier to verify. Usually if the paint dries out and cracks like that, what you`ll see is the primer exposed.

Richard Grasa
02-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Hard to tell from the pic. If it`s mostly confined to the hood, it could be the paint checking/cracking form the heat cycles the hood goes through as the motor warms up and cools down. It`s also possible the hood was resprayed at some point and the aftermarket paint is starting to fail.