PDA

View Full Version : Protective film ?

cobraa
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Hey hey!!

I could search the whole internet about it and found kit at 20$ on ebay up to uber 3M protective film and then I would need to shop every store to find the best price etc etc.

I`m a newb at this. Does anyone deal with those kind of detail ? if so, would you care to tell me a bit more about it ? Is 3m the top dog or theres other company just as good? you buy them by the roll or pre-cut?

Thanks very much for the input!

DetailSpec
02-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I have never installed 3M film, but I went with a company called Lamin-x. I installed there precut blue film to my headlamps about 5 years ago. It was kind of a pain but it was also my first time workin with the stuff. It is still holding up very well and is not peeling up at all. I also used the dark charcoal precuts on my taillights about 2 years ago also from Lamin-x. These went on a bit easier because it was less curves and I also used a heat gun to stretch the film a bit more. If you use a heat gun though, I would be careful not to stretch it too much that you create a wrinkle somewhere else. If you are comparing other companies, I would pay attention to the thickness of their material. The thinner it is, the easier it will be to conform to your surface. But on the flip side, it will also provide the least amount of protection.