PDA

View Full Version : Stopped by my Auto Zone Today...

nonwelder
02-21-2012, 07:41 PM
And they have Meg`s 105 and 205 in 32 ounce sizes. Now, AZ is not my favorite place, but they are literally 1 minute from the house and it`s good to know I can pick this stuff up there.

They also had the new Armor All Extreme Shield Wax, which as much as I hate to say it, looks interesting. They also carry the new TW Platinum Wheel and Tire Products.

Just kind of interesting. Need some 205 soon. For $24/32 oz, I think thats an ok deal.

Scottwax
02-22-2012, 12:33 AM
That would be easier for me as well, my local Meguiars distributor is 20-40 minutes one way depending on traffic and what is going on in a construction zone I have to pass through.

gmblack3
02-22-2012, 08:02 AM
David Strum tells me that a Walmart in Charlotte is carrying more then a few of the Megs pro line. M105, 205, MF pads.

Paul Sparks
02-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Went to AZ yesterday and picked up a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. Thought I would give it a try but at $14.99 for 26 oz. it`s a little high compared to the other waterless products I`ve tried so far. They also were stocking 105 and 205 plus a few other Mirror Glaze products. Over on DB a member posted a picture of product placement charts for Meguiars products at Wal-Mart. Seems they will carry the M/F line and da`s as well as various compounds. Looks like the sales force at Meguiars has changed direction as of late.I`m curious if this is their idea or from the influence of the 3M corp. ?

mikenap
02-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Went to AZ yesterday and picked up a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. Thought I would give it a try but at $14.99 for 26 oz. it`s a little high compared to the other waterless products I`ve tried so far. They also were stocking 105 and 205 plus a few other Mirror Glaze products. Over on DB a member posted a picture of product placement charts for Meguiars products at Wal-Mart. Seems they will carry the M/F line and da`s as well as various compounds. Looks like the sales force at Meguiars has changed direction as of late.I`m curious if this is their idea or from the influence of the 3M corp. ?

I saw that DB thread, and I`ll make the same comment that I did over there......Autoglym.

Wal-Mart shoppers, at least in CLT, aren`t the market for high-end detailing supplies. While some people here may choose to buy from WM given convenience, price, etc., Autopians will not be able to account for the volume of sales WM expects to see. Wal-Mart absolutely will NOT devote shelf space to products that don`t move quickly, and the idea of a $180 buffer and $25 polish will be lost on the dirty masses that congregate at our local Wal-Marts. Many of them can`t even grasp the concept of personal hygiene, so advanced car care is even further down the list.

Paul Sparks
02-22-2012, 11:20 AM
I was thinking along those same lines when I noticed the m105 etc at AZ. I see a few possibilities this can create. 1. Easy to obtain product in case you run out unexpectedly. 2. Blow-out prices if this idea fails. 3.Picking up new customers after customer sees that its a lot harder then they thought it was to do a detail and more expensive by the time they buy everthing needed to do the job.Who knows exactly what Meguiars has up their sleeve. Just look at how the demand for M101 is being handled. I guess we will just have to sit back and see how this plays out.

mikenap
02-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I was thinking along those same lines when I noticed the m105 etc at AZ. I see a few possibilities this can create. 1. Easy to obtain product in case you run out unexpectedly. 2. Blow-out prices if this idea fails. 3.Picking up new customers after customer sees that its a lot harder then they thought it was to do a detail and more expensive by the time they buy everthing needed to do the job.Who knows exactly what Meguiars has up their sleeve. Just look at how the demand for M101 is being handled. I guess we will just have to sit back and see how this plays out.

100% agree with you Paul. I`m especially seeing #2 as the ultimate outcome. I believe these products could have a chance of working at AZ since it caters to the DIY crowd and they expect less volume than WM, but the typical WM shopper will walk right past this stuff to the NuFinish/Turtle Wax/Black Magic products. The handful of people who actually have interest enough to spend on D300/G110/M105,etc. are not going to create the numbers WM expects from its products and they will eventually give that shelf real estate back to what historically sells quicker.

nonwelder
02-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Well...I would be thrilled if WM picked up the MF pads and some other polishes. I am in need of 205 soon, so I`ll probably look at AZ. I can see the stuff sticking around at AZ. WM, I am not so sure, which means some of us might get some great deals if they stop carrying it. :) Parts stores can sometimes move this stuff better than the big boxes. I know my local O`reilly carries about 8 mirror glaze products and get get many others in about 24 hours. They seem to move a good amount. No dust on the bottles, etc.

We`ll see how this pans out, I guess.

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I`m already looking forward to picking up a backup G110v2 and a ton of MF pads when WM eventually blows them out. I`ll have to head over to my local store and see what they`ve got going on.

nonwelder
02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Was in one of my stores today...nothing. Not even some of the new 2012 products. I would be willing to buy some at full price, but I agree, I`ll stock up when they go on clearance. I applaude Meg`s for putting them in big box locations, but honestly, the average joe would just rather go for the crummier, cheaper OTC stuff.

Make no mistake...I use a LOT of OTC stuff, mostly Meg`s, but some others as well. It`s just that like anything else, there is "good" OTC stuff and the crummy stuff.

imported_Erik Mejia
02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Megs will have to do some heavy marketing to educate the masses on these products to get them to sell in volume.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk