PDA

View Full Version : Water Tank Setup Help

Pages : [1] 2

NDFightin44
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I`m in the midst of setting up a mobile detailing service and need advice on setting up a water supply tank. First, I would like the know what size tanks you prefer. Second, I`ve been doing some research on here trying to figure out the best way to get the water successfully to a power washer. I`ve seen people suggest a just gravity and use of a pump. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks

H.E.D
02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
What are you using van, trailer, or enclosed trailer? are you planning on doing a lot of car washing or just paint correction? as far as the pressure washer goes find a location on your vehicle strap down the tank and pressure washer hook it up fill up the tank remove the spray gun from the hose turn on washer let the water run down turn off hook gun back up and turn on again.

911fanatic
02-09-2012, 11:37 PM
You`ll need to take a few things into consideration. How much water does your pressure washer flow? If it flows say 2 gpm ( gallons per minute ) figure out how long it takes to pre rinse, wash and final rinse a car. This will tell you how much water you will need to do one car. Base your tank size on how many cars you`d like to do in a day. As for getting the water into the pressure washer, you have two choices. You can install your tank on the floor and use a small electric pump to help move the water along ( make sure it flows at least the same amount as your pressure washer). If you want to use gravity, the outlet on your tank needs to be a minimum of 8 inches above the inlet on your pressure washer. Reason being, even with the weight of a full tank of water behind it, if the tank is on the floor, there isn`t enough weight to push enough water into the pressure washer. You can build a rack to sit your tank on, or lift your pressure washer out of the vehicle and sit in on the ground when using it. Not getting enough water into the pw could cause the pump to starve and fail prematurely.

NDFightin44
02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
First off we are going to be doing more washing. We are going to use a Chevy Tahoe. I know it`s not the most ideal truck to use but it`s what I have to work with. I know this restricts the size of the tank and I`ll have to find a size that fits, but how big is to big?

wascallyrabbit
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
how much weight can a tahoe handle? this may help with your max tank size. fresh water weight 8.35 lbs/per gallon. i would think if your removing the back seat you could probably find a 100 gal tank to fit, assuming that it can handle the weight. don`t forget the weight of all the other tools and chemicals you`ll have.

kakeuter
02-11-2012, 01:18 AM
I have a 100 gallon tank in our van, since the tank sits level with the pressure washer I installed a 12V pump between the tank and pressure washer. I wired in the pump to the battery and installed a switch that is inside the door jamb making it easy to turn the pump on/off.

-Kody-

imported_WCD
02-11-2012, 01:31 AM
I have not used my pw in about 9 months. Granted I`m on the coast- west - but are you sure you need a pw and tank? I keep thinking that mobile trailers and the sort will not even be around in 5 to 10 years.

Too many other options that are good and easier to manage available. I consider it almost unethical in CA for someone to push a traditional mobile set up on a newbie when you have other waterless or near waterless options.

Step back and consider the space with which you have. The space that water tank and pw take up might be better used with a steamer, extractor, etc.

Just my 2.5 cents, Rob

justin30513
02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a 65 gallon tank and a 2.5GPM pressure washer. I live in a mountainous area with dirt roads so it`s a must for me. I prerinse the vehicle with it and then use a waterless setup. I can do 6-8 vehicles per tank. My pressure washer pulls from my tank with no assistance from any stand alone pump.

Tell us more about your area. You might get away with a smaller tank if we can help you assess your needs.

NDFightin44
02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I have a 65 gallon tank and a 2.5GPM pressure washer. I live in a mountainous area with dirt roads so it`s a must for me. I prerinse the vehicle with it and then use a waterless setup. I can do 6-8 vehicles per tank. My pressure washer pulls from my tank with no assistance from any stand alone pump.

Tell us more about your area. You might get away with a smaller tank if we can help you assess your needs.

We will be in the suburbs of Cleveland. I think we would be able to use a smaller tank as it wouldn`t be to much of a problem to refill between jobs if I needed too. I do think it would be a significant space safer to use a smaller tank. Have you had any problems without a pump. Does anyone know of detailers who require a water source from customers? We will be going mostly to customers homes where water will be available. I know it goes against the mobile detail idea but it would be a space safer to require a water source.

imported_WCD
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Solon or Chagrin Falls by chance?

NDFightin44
02-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Solon or Chagrin Falls by chance?

Chagrin Falls.

imported_WCD
02-14-2012, 12:17 PM
My great-grandparents lived there! Popcorn Shop is my favorite place to visit- have a tin can in my classroom. My uncle has a detail shop very close to there. My mom grew up in Solon. I`ll be sure to visit when I`m there next summer.

NDFightin44
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
My great-grandparents lived there! Popcorn Shop is my favorite place to visit- have a tin can in my classroom. My uncle has a detail shop very close to there. My mom grew up in Solon. I`ll be sure to visit when I`m there next summer.

Cleveland is a great place to live. We get back press all the time but the suburbs are great and the summer weather is hard to beat.

911fanatic
02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
We will be going mostly to customers homes where water will be available. I know it goes against the mobile detail idea but it would be a space safer to require a water source.

The mobile idea is to bring a detailing service to your clients. It has nothing to do with whether or not you bring your own water/power. I`ve been doing mobile work for the better part of 15 years and only had one location I couldn`t hook up. If you can get away without carrying water I say have at it. That allows you to run a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle which will in turn put more cash in your jeans.

justin30513
02-15-2012, 08:15 AM
The mobile idea is to bring a detailing service to your clients. It has nothing to do with whether or not you bring your own water/power. I`ve been doing mobile work for the better part of 15 years and only had one location I couldn`t hook up. If you can get away without carrying water I say have at it. That allows you to run a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle which will in turn put more cash in your jeans.

This is a great response and couldn`t be more true. I just carry my own water and use my customer`s power. I use my own DI water and it`s just what I prefer.

Now here`s where I`m changing. A lot of my new customers are at work now and not retired. I have to carry my water and now, a small generator. There was no way I was turning this cash flow down by being stubborn and not buying a generator.