PDA

View Full Version : HELP! need some serious advice

imported_ffmedic
02-07-2012, 07:58 PM
This is my first post. i`m a long time reader here but first time poster. so my dad who owns a painting company wants me to do his work truck it was just in a accident. and they replaced all the panels on the driver side but the passenger side is still the old paint which has paint on it from him working. its a mixture of house paints oil and water base. it looks bad, also has residue on the chrome and black plastic not sure what will work on this. any help would be awesome. i will try and post pics as a picture is worth a thousand words.

imported_ffmedic
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Ok so here are a couple pics of what im working with

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w471/ff_medic/2012-01-28164619.jpg

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w471/ff_medic/2012-01-28164609.jpg

Ron Ketcham
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
It`s a work truck and will be right back to this condition in a couple of months so--don`t get all carried away.

Wash the truck with an all purpose cleaner, allowing it to soak on the truck for 10 minutes or longer, just don`t let it dry, agitating as you wait on the dwell time.

This will loosen a lot of the paint deposit, some will fall off.

Then rinse and sort of dry off, no need to get it perfectly dry, cause you are gonna get out the clay and lubricator.

Use the clay on everything you can reach/touch, glass, paint, trim, wheels, etc,etc to remove the overspray/paint deposits.

When you are worn out from all that claying, decide if it`s worth the extra effort to polish up a "soon to be lump of coal" again.

If he`s going to trade it in, then, OK, polish it up, throw some dressing on the trim and take it to the dealership after dark.

Grumpy

Junebug
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I`ve have decent luck with Goo-Gone, spray, pray and scrape away (plastic razor blade) or a bug sponge you`re not real fond of. You`ll have to go back over it with a strong APC and then a good car wash. A power washer will be a big help, or a trip to the coin wash at a real slow time - think late night!