PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU clean wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

Marshall13b
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey, so at my last detail shop we used this aluminum acid stuff to clean wheels, stuff worked GREAT! My only problem now is I can`t find it anymore, is there something as easy to use as aluminum acid? All you had to do was spray it on the wheels and by the time you made your way around the car, the acid sat long enough, then you rinse it off with the pressure washer.

So what are you guy`s using?

justin30513
02-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener.

Wear gloves and eye protection.

imported_Gurge
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Megs wheel brightener as stated above will do what you`re asking

it is however a little dangerous both to yourself and some wheel finishes (uncoated)

If you`re looking for something a little safer, I often use Brown Royal wheel cleaner. Which is a strong alkaline cleaner (on the other end of the ph scale). Requires a little more agitation then megs WB but I choose that pretty often

tons of other ways to clean wheels also btw which are more eco-friendly. rinseless wash, foaming glass cleaner etc

mikenap
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Brown Royal is a great cleaner. Safer than WB, comparable in price, and nearly as effective.

justin30513
02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Brown Royal?

I`ll Google it right now!

imported_DetailDan
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I have some Megs Wheel Brightener if anyone wants it.

justin30513
02-02-2012, 05:27 PM
I have some Megs Wheel Brightener if anyone wants it.

How much and for how much?

tom p.
02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener.

Wear gloves and eye protection.

...and a respirator.

4AudiQ
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
I have Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect from Germany.

It sprays on green and when ready to rinse off, it turns red.

You can get it here........http://www.detailersdomain.com/

JohnZ3MC
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Mikenap +1

imported_detail1
04-01-2012, 05:52 AM
I have Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect from Germany.

It sprays on green and when ready to rinse off, it turns red.

You can get it here........http://www.detailersdomain.com/

I use Sonax- almost finished with my gallon- but when it`s empty I will not buy it again. This stuff works great but I can no longer deal with the HORRIBLE odor. Its 1 of the most disgusting things i have ever smelled. I will only use the remaining Sonax for the inside of wheels. I will switch to something like Griot`s or maybe even just use car wash soap heavily concentrated in a spray bottle. Depending on how much brake dust your wheels have, I think its best to use the least damaging product & go from there.

Frank

tom p.
04-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Depending on how much brake dust your wheels have, I think its best to use the least damaging product & go from there.

+1. I think that`s a good rule of thumb.

2005GTPinMD
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
For bad stuff I have got Wolf`s Decon gel. I also have WB but I don`t like it. For day to day cleaning I use OPC.

imported_WhyteWizard
04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I spay whatever I`m using from the bottom up so that all the dirt gets hit with undiluted cleaner, same as I do whenever I`m using any cleaner. Then, I rinse and agitate with a soft paint brush from the top down.

If I want to get behind the outside of the wheel, behind the spokes, I use a long hemostat (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hemostats) to hold a sponge. The sponge will compress under the metal and wrap around, but still, put tape over all the metal parts that might touch the wheel. This lets you reach into the wheel without losing skin on your fingers and I think it`s gentler on the wheel than the traditional wheel brush. Of course, the sponge you use will determine how aggressive the tool will be.

Personally, I don`t use any wheel cleaners that have any hydrofluoric acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid)

because I don`t believe I can use it safely, others can, but not me.

Robert

SpoolinNoMore
04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Wheel brightener if it`s got some caked on brake dust (not mud). For just dirt and mud or light brake dust, just rinse the wheel and use your car soap with a sponge or a wheel brush like the Daytona Speedmaster (or whatever it`s called, there are other companies that make the same thing). No need to use harsh cleaners for everything, but it`s good to have something heavy available for the severely neglected jobs.