PDA

View Full Version : Pen ink on leather.....what to do????

Pages : [1] 2

artman4life
03-08-2006, 09:16 PM
got an 04-05 buick terazza in at work 2day...looks like a kid or something in the back seat found a pen (bule ink) and did some scribbling just below the headrest. i tried various diff cleaners we have at work and none made a diff what so ever. any ideas as to how/what to use to remove this at all?? it was bought at an auction, so no clue how long its been on the seat either. i`ve tried our citrus cleaner, our apc, and few other odds n ends we have, but nuttin worked.

Beemerboy
03-08-2006, 09:28 PM
got an 04-05 buick terazza in at work 2day...looks like a kid or something in the back seat found a pen (bule ink) and did some scribbling just below the headrest. i tried various diff cleaners we have at work and none made a diff what so ever. any ideas as to how/what to use to remove this at all?? it was bought at an auction, so no clue how long its been on the seat either. i`ve tried our citrus cleaner, our apc, and few other odds n ends we have, but nuttin worked.

I`ve had great results with aerosol hair spray by spraying on a rag and then rubbing the area....why it works is beyond me...also Stoners Xenit is another that will do the job

http://www.cleanitwithxenit.com/

97F1504x4
03-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I have used rubbing/isopropyl alcohol to remove ink. The best way to use it is with a clean terry cloth towel saturate the towel and then blot the ink that way it does not smear it around. It will probably take awhile but it works.

Richard

Beemerboy
03-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I have used rubbing/isopropyl alcohol to remove ink. The best way to use it is with a clean terry cloth towel saturate the towel and then blot the ink that way it does not smear it around. It will probably take awhile but it works.

Richard

You have to be real careful with this as it can be quite strong and lift the color in the seats....that been my experience

artman4life
03-08-2006, 09:56 PM
i tried the rubbing alcy real briefly, maybe i didnt let it set in quite enuf, i didnt want ot let it soak much for fear of lifting the color out of the leather, i should of said b4, its a light greyish color of leather. any other idea`s for me to try 1st thing in the morning?? also, has the red/orange *kool-ade* spots in it. dont have an extractor, used some can carpet cleaner we have, but i knew that wouldnt do it, i was plannin on usin the spray dye, but came to find out we dont have the color match for it. can i do anything else to lighten it up at all? Interiors r my *weak* point in the detail world. i can do it at a satisfactory rate, but im more exterior *make it shine so ya can shave off the hood* kinda detailer :)

97F1504x4
03-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah you do not want to let the alcohol sit on it which is why i said to blot it and to be careful. I have heard the the Mr Clean Magic Eraser will work for this as well. I have used this method many times myself and never had any issues wiith the seat color being damaged but i do not doubt it could happen.
I did not mean to suggest something that might be harmful that is for sure. Only reason i suggested it is becasue i have done it myself.

Richard

artman4life
03-08-2006, 11:43 PM
my manager had the stoner`s varietycase b4 many many many months ago and it had the xenit in it, only time we had that at the shop though, was rather impressed with it, jsut havent seen it since then, i`ll give the rub alc another go in the morn when i go to work n see what happens, sometime ya can only do what ya can. see what the big chief at work wants to do from there, but thanx for the advise though :)

bigron62
03-09-2006, 12:12 AM
get a white 3m scuff pad from a body shop supply store and use a mild apc and give it a scrub it will come right out and no damage ...

Dutch
03-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Back in my white shirt and tie day....I had pens that leaked.
Best stuff I found was whole milk.....it might be worth a try

05spectraSX
03-09-2006, 09:38 AM
you might be able to use hairspray. hairspray takes pen out of clothing, so it probably will take it off of leather.

Beemerboy
03-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Back in my white shirt and tie day....I had pens that leaked.
Best stuff I found was whole milk.....it might be worth a try

Dutch to say the least I have never heard this about cleaning any part of a car...interesting

denverdetail
03-09-2006, 11:21 AM
use GOOF OFF! it will work fast and WILL NOT hurt the fabric. Rinse with plaint water to remove the odor.

Beemerboy
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
use GOOF OFF! it will work fast and WILL NOT hurt the fabric. Rinse with plaint water to remove the odor.

Its leather that he is talking about not fabric

denverdetail
03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Its leather that he is talking about not fabric

Thanks Beemerboy, didn`t read the whole post. DO NOT USE GOOF OFF ON LEATHER, IT WILL REMOVE THE DYE.

For leather, I`ve found that using carpet solvents or a fabric spoter like Shout works very well on ink stained leather. Make sure to condition the leather after to restore vital oils.

05spectraSX
03-09-2006, 11:56 AM
HAHAHAHA!:lmfao