PDA

View Full Version : Need help 2006 Black Acural RL

tderby
01-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post, I have been a long time lurker of these threads. Everything I have learned from your posts has allowed me to have a top notch clean and detailed car interior. So first off I want to say hello and thank you for all the good advice and products I have purchased from this site!!!

I have a very intimidating problem that I need help with….I just recently purchased a 2006 Black Acura RL whose body is in need of some desperate TLC. This is where I need all the advice and help I can get, I have no idea where to start…..

It seems like the car has had some severe road rash and hail damage. There are some bare metal gashes, and some less than picture perfect paint chip repairs. I also have noticed some peeling of the chrome trim.

Hmmm....can`t find out how to attach pitctures, however, I do have some if that would be helpful.

I bought the car from CarMax, which did a horrific job of cleaning and detailing it.

Here are some quick details:

Vehicle purpose : daily driver, I work in real estate, so I am having buyers constantly coming in and out of my car, and driving all over the place.

Vehicle location: parked in garage overnight, however, I do live in Wisconsin, so the car is going to have to be able to keep up with our harsh salted Wisconsin winters.

Vehicle goal: keep the black looking as good as possible. I also need a finish that can tollerat a mild salt splatter before I can get to clean it off. I need something that can protect the paint until this summer where I can attempt to do some more serious paint correction work.

I am totally new to detailing the outside of cars, however, I picked up some products, and this is my initial plan :

All done in a heated garage: All by Hand

1. Wash wheels – Daytona speed brush and DP wheel cleaner

2. Clay tires – Pinnacle Clay plus Pinnalce clay lube

3. Treat Tires – Ultima Trim and tire treatment

4. Treat Wheels – DP wheel glaze

5. Waterless wash car – DP waterless wash

6. Wash windshield – Stoners Invisible Glass

7. Clay windshield – Pinnacle clay & Stoners Glass cleaner as lube????

8. Clay car – Pinnacle clay plus pinnacle clay lube

9. **Do I need to tape??**

10. Pre-wax Cleanse car – Dodo juice prime prewax cleanse

11. Paint sealent – Black Fire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Sealer

12. Wax – Collinite liquid wax 845

13. Final detail – DP final gloss detailer

How does this sequence sound?

Also the paint has numerous swirls and scratches, so what should I plan on doing about those?

I do not have a porter or a DA, but I would consider getting one, if you all feel like it would be worth it.

1. What can be done about the peeling chrome strip?

2. Does the paint sealant and wax worth well with the chrome strips? Or should I get a separate product for that?

3. I did buy Wolfgang total swirl and finishing glaze, can I use this by hand on the vehicle to correct some of the minor imperfections in the car?

4. Do I need to keep particular care sealing and waxing over the previously done paint chip repairs?

5. When I am ready, can I better correct CarMax’s paint chip repairs?

6. And does anyone have some good recommendations of anyone who has a quality detail shop around the Milwaukee Wisconsin area, that I could possible take my car into to get some professional TLC?

I am not against buying a machine, DA polisher or Porter cable, I would just need much more direction and education before I attempt.

I listed all the products I have purchased below; I am also willing to purchase anything else that would of help.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus

Stoner Invisible Glass

1z Cockpit Premium

Lexol Leather Cleaner

Leatherique Pristine Clean

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil

Wolfgang Carpet and Upholstery Restorer

Leather Care Interior – Leather Vital

DP Wheel Glaze

DP Wheel Cleaner

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus

DP Waterless Auto Wash

Dodo Juice Lime Prime pre-wax Cleans

Black Fire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Sealer

DP Final Gloss Quick Detailer

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845

Dr. Paintchip’s paint repair kit

P21-s Windshield booster

CCS Euro foam hand applicators: Orange, White, Red, Gold

20 X 40 Supreme Guzzler WW

Cobra Flex Foam Tire Dressing Applicators

Cobra Deluxe jr. 600 microfiber

Eurow 16X16 Microfiber Towels

Daytona Speed master Wheel Brush

Any and All help would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!

Travis

RaskyR1
01-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post, I have been a long time lurker of these threads. Everything I have learned from your posts has allowed me to have a top notch clean and detailed car interior. So first off I want to say hello and thank you for all the good advice and products I have purchased from this site!!!

I have a very intimidating problem that I need help with….I just recently purchased a 2006 Black Acura RL whose body is in need of some desperate TLC. This is where I need all the advice and help I can get, I have no idea where to start…..

It seems like the car has had some severe road rash and hail damage. There are some bare metal gashes, and some less than picture perfect paint chip repairs. I also have noticed some peeling of the chrome trim.

Hmmm....can`t find out how to attach pitctures, however, I do have some if that would be helpful.

I bought the car from CarMax, which did a horrific job of cleaning and detailing it.

Here are some quick details:

Vehicle purpose : daily driver, I work in real estate, so I am having buyers constantly coming in and out of my car, and driving all over the place.

Vehicle location: parked in garage overnight, however, I do live in Wisconsin, so the car is going to have to be able to keep up with our harsh salted Wisconsin winters.

Vehicle goal: keep the black looking as good as possible. I also need a finish that can tollerat a mild salt splatter before I can get to clean it off. I need something that can protect the paint until this summer where I can attempt to do some more serious paint correction work.

I am totally new to detailing the outside of cars, however, I picked up some products, and this is my initial plan :

All done in a heated garage: All by Hand

1. Wash wheels – Daytona speed brush and DP wheel cleaner

2. Clay tires – Pinnacle Clay plus Pinnalce clay lube

3. Treat Tires – Ultima Trim and tire treatment

4. Treat Wheels – DP wheel glaze

5. Waterless wash car – DP waterless wash

6. Wash windshield – Stoners Invisible Glass

7. Clay windshield – Pinnacle clay & Stoners Glass cleaner as lube????

8. Clay car – Pinnacle clay plus pinnacle clay lube

9. **Do I need to tape??**

10. Pre-wax Cleanse car – Dodo juice prime prewax cleanse

11. Paint sealent – Black Fire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Sealer

12. Wax – Collinite liquid wax 845

13. Final detail – DP final gloss detailer

How does this sequence sound?

Also the paint has numerous swirls and scratches, so what should I plan on doing about those?

I do not have a porter or a DA, but I would consider getting one, if you all feel like it would be worth it.

1. What can be done about the peeling chrome strip?

2. Does the paint sealant and wax worth well with the chrome strips? Or should I get a separate product for that?

3. I did buy Wolfgang total swirl and finishing glaze, can I use this by hand on the vehicle to correct some of the minor imperfections in the car?

4. Do I need to keep particular care sealing and waxing over the previously done paint chip repairs?

5. When I am ready, can I better correct CarMax’s paint chip repairs?

6. And does anyone have some good recommendations of anyone who has a quality detail shop around the Milwaukee Wisconsin area, that I could possible take my car into to get some professional TLC?

I am not against buying a machine, DA polisher or Porter cable, I would just need much more direction and education before I attempt.

I listed all the products I have purchased below; I am also willing to purchase anything else that would of help.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus

Stoner Invisible Glass

1z Cockpit Premium

Lexol Leather Cleaner

Leatherique Pristine Clean

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil

Wolfgang Carpet and Upholstery Restorer

Leather Care Interior – Leather Vital

DP Wheel Glaze

DP Wheel Cleaner

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus

DP Waterless Auto Wash

Dodo Juice Lime Prime pre-wax Cleans

Black Fire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Sealer

DP Final Gloss Quick Detailer

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Pinnacle Clay Lubricant

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845

Dr. Paintchip’s paint repair kit

P21-s Windshield booster

CCS Euro foam hand applicators: Orange, White, Red, Gold

20 X 40 Supreme Guzzler WW

Cobra Flex Foam Tire Dressing Applicators

Cobra Deluxe jr. 600 microfiber

Eurow 16X16 Microfiber Towels

Daytona Speed master Wheel Brush

Any and All help would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!

Travis

Hey Travis, that`s a lot of question to answer at once but I``l do my best.

1. I`m assuming you talking about the chrome strip on the side door moldings as I believe the trim around the doors/windows is stainless (uncoated). Regardless, if it`s peeling it will need to be replaced

2. You can get a dedicated metal polish if you like but traditional waxes and sealants should offer some protection.

3. I found the paint on my wife`s RL (prior to repaint) to be harder than the typical Honda/Acura and working by hand would be likely difficult, and the Wolfgang stuff you have would not be the ideal product for hand use IMO. (See M105 or Ultimate Compound)

4. Treat the repaired chips as you would the rest of the cars paint.

5. Don`t let CarMax’s ever touch the car again! The chip repair probably looks poor because of color match and the fact the the metallic/pearl in the paint doesn`t lay down the same when it`s brushed on vs. sprayed like the original paint.

6. You can always drive to the twin cities and have me do your car. :)

I do suggest purchasing a DA like the Griots Garage GG6....it`s pretty safe and there is tons of how-to info on the forums about it.

My wife also has the same exact car, though hers is an `05. There is not a ton of taping to do on the car but I would suggest picking some of the 3/4" Meguiars tape for certain areas.

Here is the work I did on the wife`s RL after a full repaint. ;)

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/124140-full-wet-sand-n-buff-05-nbp-acura-rl-raskys-auto-detailing.html

Hope this helps,

Rasky