PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Bon Ami glass cleaner

Don
07-26-2003, 09:40 AM
I wrote to Info-Faultless (Bon Ami) about making window cleaner by adding a small amount of the powdered cleanser to water in a spray bottle, here is their reply:

**We have Bon Ami Glass and Surface cleaner which is sold in an aerosol. We also still have the original Bon Ami Cleaning Cake and the Bon Ami Cleaning Powder which are the same formula from the 1800`s. We do not recommend mixing them with water and using in a spray bottle. They are applied to a wet cloth or sponge and them applied to the windows or glass.**

HOWEVER....I tried it anyway. I feel that the reason they don`t recommend it is because the powder doesn`t fully dissolve in the water and will clog sprayers. I tried mixing 1 Tsp in 32 oz of water and I still had a fair amount of powder in the bottom of the bottle. I emptied out 1/2 of the mixture and added more water...I still had sediment.

I tried it on our living room windows (dog nose prints, sticky kid finger marks etc.) The initial results a very promising. With a single application, the windows are nearly perfect except for one or two spots that have SLIGHT smears because they were just so extremely dirty.

Obviously 1 tsp/32 oz is way too much Bon Ami. The next time I make it, I`ll try 1/4 tsp with 32 oz. For now, I`m going to pour the mixture into a clean bottle to get rid of the sediment.

I`ll post more as I figure this out. I`m also going to write back to Info-Faultless with my findings.

Horseman2475
07-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Why dont you just buy the Spray?

JasonC8301
07-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Did you try to dissolve the Bon ami cake into 4 ounces hot water, then mix it with 8 ounces warm water,then put that into a spray bottle and fill to top? That might dissolve the powder better.

Jason

Don
07-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Horseman2475
Why dont you just buy the Spray?

BLASPHEMY!!!! :D

Because there`s always a chance I (or someone else) will find something new & better.

Don
07-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Using the `two towel` method, I cleaned my car windows prior to going to work. In the sunlight, there were no marks or streaks on the glass.

The ride home at night (for me) is usually what shows me every little smear mark etc left on the glass. As with the bright sunlight, there were no marks. No matter what angle (streetlights or other cars) the light came in, there were no smears or clouding on the glass.

So far so good