PDA

View Full Version : how much premium would you pay for in-store products

Pages : [1] 2

CTSV
01-28-2012, 08:09 AM
So, I`m one of the lucky few with an advanced auto that has a decent selection of meguiars pro line of products, they have a couple of their pads, M105, M205, gallon sized M34, final glaze and some other things.

You can pickup a gallon of M34 on amazon right now for $27 shipped(that`s a sale price) and the advancedauto sells the stuff for $32. Plainly you can save some more $$ if you buy in bulk online, but generally here`s what you`re looking at;

$27.09 shipped for 1 Gallon M34

$33.66 with tax + gas to drive to pick it up, we`ll say $4

so $37.66

or 29% markup.

now, I don`t exactly blow through a gallon of detail spray in a month, so my question to you, autotopians, is how much markup are you willing to sacrifice for having in-store product selection?

I`m thinking I`ll run up there and see if I can ask for 10% off (the auto zone by me does it for me..) and if they`ll do that on a consistent basis, I won`t mind supporting my local economy.. so 20-30% is where I`m at.

someidiot
01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
I figure if it works out about even with shipping it`s a great deal. If it costs a couple extra bucks to save the wait of shipping, it`s a good deal.

If it costs more than 20% more than online + shipping, I`d only buy it if I desperately needed it ASAP and couldn`t wait for shipping.

of course I don`t go through as much product as most of you guys do so I only place an order once or twice a year.

Barry Theal
01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Talk t your advane and set up an account. Im on there upper status and get huge discounts. It blows away most online pricing. All the stores do this. You don`t need credit either which will help those who hate bills.

Accumulator
01-28-2012, 12:33 PM
I voted for the online, even though I could argue against that approach for various reasons.

But mostly, for me it`s just the convenience. Going to the local place is a hassle; I`m barely down the driveway in the time it takes to order online.

Nth Degree
01-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I usually plan ahead and make online orders big enough to get free shipping. Add in any discounts and it`s hard to find a better deal locally, not to mention the difference in selection. But for the times I just need one item or something immediately I don`t mind a 10%-20% premium.

mikenap
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I was excited when I found a bottle of M105 at the local Napa. I was less than excited to find that a quart was $40. :mad:

I`d have to agree with Chris that it pays to plan ahead so you

Never get caught without something you need

You can take advantage of any sales, coupons, group buys, etc.

CTSV
01-28-2012, 12:52 PM
So I went in there, it turns out that they were mis-placed, and the stuff was actually $28.49! It came in under $30 with tax. yippe! It would appear that most of the stuff was pretty much only $1-3 more over online pricing too; not counting shipping, so for buying stuff 1 at a time it`s actually the same or a little cheaper

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/photo11-1.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/photo21-1.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/photo3-4.jpg

Also pickedup a bottle of their new waterless wash and wax-- it had a $5 MIR attached to it-- which is the only reason I bought it, since it was $14.99-- although that`s exactly how much it is online.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/photo41.jpg

Talk t your advane and set up an account. Im on there upper status and get huge discounts. It blows away most online pricing. All the stores do this. You don`t need credit either which will help those who hate bills

honestly I don`t go there often- this is only my second expenditure for the meguiars stuff, are there any fees? I could make the argument if we`re talking at least 15% and I could go there for my other maintenance items for the cars.

C. Charles Hahn
01-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I usually plan ahead and make online orders big enough to get free shipping. Add in any discounts and it`s hard to find a better deal locally, not to mention the difference in selection. But for the times I just need one item or something immediately I don`t mind a 10%-20% premium.

100% agreed. Generally the only thing that makes me buy products locally is getting into a pinch -- and then I expect to pay a premium because the retail store has higher overhead than an online retailer.

CTSV
01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
100% agreed. Generally the only thing that makes me buy products locally is getting into a pinch -- and then I expect to pay a premium because the retail store has higher overhead than an online retailer.

absolutely agreed. I don`t plan on making a habit out of this, I was running out of some detail spray for buff-off and I didn`t want to blow all my adams detail spray for just buff-off...

armoredsaint
01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
i rarely buy detailing items at a store, maybe a wash sponge is all

smokinfastlegen
01-28-2012, 11:29 PM
if you can find the product on advanced`s website, use code a123: spend $30, get $10, spend $50, get $20 off, spend $100, get $30 off. I got $50 of griots towels for $30!

Accumulator
01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
if you can find the product on advanced`s website, use code a123..

Huh, thanks for the tip!

smokinfastlegen
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
oops, had the page up when there was no responses, look how many popped in before i actually posted :blush:

Phishy4
01-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I found that one (out of a bunch) of the Advance Auto`s around here is keeping a pretty healthy stock of Griot`s stuff there. I don`t use much Griots, but I do like their Speed Shine as a clay lube and their shampoo is good too. Rolled in there one day and found out that it`s the same price as getting it online, plus they include a sprayer with every bottle which a lot of places don`t.

smokinfastlegen
01-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I found that one (out of a bunch) of the Advance Auto`s around here is keeping a pretty healthy stock of Griot`s stuff there. I don`t use much Griots, but I do like their Speed Shine as a clay lube and their shampoo is good too. Rolled in there one day and found out that it`s the same price as getting it online, plus they include a sprayer with every bottle which a lot of places don`t.

I had a cart this morning with 3 packages of towels, i had to convince myself i had enough towels as it is and more towels would just be a waste of money...............

thinking back, how can more towels be a waste of money? You can never have enough towels.