PDA

View Full Version : Old man full filling a long time dream

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ron Ketcham
01-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Of course to you younger ones, it may not be a "dream", but a "nightmare".

Looks like I am gaining ownership of a car I have wanted for 19 years.

It`s styling is "iffy" at best, it`s got some things that go broke in the night, it is not an exotic European machine.

But, it was one of the most advanced vehicles out of Detroit and the world at the time.

Ready?

Really, I have to be, for I know I am going to get some "stuff" over this one.

So, let me take you back to 1993, Jim Gines and "Rambo" from Ford Vehicle Ops called me when I lived in SoCal and asked if I could get away to Kingman, Az for a day or so to play with a new vehicle that Ford was getting ready to bring to market.

Of course, with us three, there would be some imbibing of beverages in the evening, which would of course lead to a complete loss of sanity.

Early morning and we were at the proving ground for Ford`s desert testing, road course, etc, hung over and all.

What did I see, two low coupes, one black, one silver, with a "Lincoln" badge on them!

These were the two test mules for the MarkVIII coupes.

The black one had a standard Ford automatic trans, the silver one---well, it had a 5 speed manual.

First thing I commented on was "you mean Ford is actually going to put a manual tranny in a Lincoln?"

Gines explained that "no, it`s a test mule, so we can push the motor, suspension, tires, frame, etc to the limits.".

They drove me around the road course in the black one, letting me get used to the track, corners, etc.

Then, on went the helmet, strapped in and off I went in the standard black Mark.

Nice, handled very nice, had a ball.

Rambo waved me in and put me in the silver one, with the manual tranny.

Sent me out for 3 or 4 laps, which were a blast! Then waved me in.

Shut it down, opened the hood and Gines and Rambo went under the hood for a very few minutes.

They then informed me to "be careful" as this was now a completely different car.

WOW! Were they right, they changes the ECM chip, some other chips and it went from 300hp to over 400hp.

What a blast, and I never forgot it. (sort of reminded me of my 427 Cobra, but with a subtle touch).

The term "drifting" was not really around back then, but with the super suspension, for the time, the tires, the power band of the 4.6 dual overhead, drifting was easy as running down the main straight.

I have wanted one since, but at the price they were then, and vs now, looks like I got a "brass hat" that started in Dearborn in late 97, the last of the MarkVIII`s.

Car has been well maintained, air suspension, coils, etc all in good shape, tires have 4,000 miles on them, no rust, interior is perfect, etc.

I may regret it, but then it is not going to be my daily driver, and it`s got a "hole in the roof", black with saddle tan leather.

Accumulator, what do you think?

Old man going to be 68 next month, ain`t it time I get one more I wanted? (we won`t talk about the 308, OK?")

Let the kids start the "what are you thinking" responses, for we old farts still have dreams of the past.

Grumpy

C. Charles Hahn
01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice, Grumpy! Congrats on the purchase.

You won`t get any "what are you thinking" from me, I still lust after a `96 Impala SS. I took drivers` ed in a `95, and haven`t forgotten the cars since. Came close a few years back, even test drove a few, but they needed too much work for the prices being asked.

Incidentally, I`m 26.... probably a "kid" by your standards. ;)

Ron Ketcham
01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Those Impala`s were beasts!

Yeah, not to say you are much younger than me, but in reality, I got shorts older than you.

LOL!

Grumpy

911fanatic
01-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I client of mine had just purchased a MKVIII when I opened my business....in 93/94. I got to drive that thing every week for a couple years until he sold it. Nice car. Have fun with it.

MarcHarris
01-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Still some nice ones around the Metro-Detroit area now and then. First vehicle in North American with HIDs I believe. Some real nice things about them and I`ve always liked their looks. Now for some pics! :D

Ron Ketcham
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
They can "lull" you, and then when you hit the loud peddle, find some good curves, hang on.

The other car I was looking for to buy this year was a 2005 or 6 Marauder, but those things just don`t come on the market.

Found three of them, all very high milage and "trashed" completely.

Roush did a heck of a job on those big sedans.

I got to get more storage area for my toys, making a bit of room, selling my Honda VT1100 Shadow this week.

Grumpy

C. Charles Hahn
01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Those Impala`s were beasts!

Yeah, not to say you are much younger than me, but in reality, I got shorts older than you.

LOL!

Grumpy

...and if you wait a few more years, they might actually come back to being in style! :chuckle:

Still some nice ones around the Metro-Detroit area now and then. First vehicle in North American with HIDs I believe. Some real nice things about them and I`ve always liked their looks. Now for some pics! :D

Correct! 1995.

They can "lull" you, and then when you hit the loud peddle, find some good curves, hang on.

The other car I was looking for to buy this year was a 2005 or 6 Marauder, but those things just don`t come on the market.

Found three of them, all very high milage and "trashed" completely.

Heh... sounds familiar. Loved the Marauders as well... took Ford a decade to respond to the Impala, but they did it very well.

Roush did a heck of a job on those big sedans.

I got to get more storage area for my toys, making a bit of room, selling my Honda VT1100 Shadow this week.

Grumpy

VT1100 Shadow, eh? What year/color is yours? I have a neighbor with an `02 in orange with the factory flame job. Nice bikes!

Ron Ketcham
01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
2000, red with the shadow flames, loaded, light bar, crash bar, Mustang seat, leather bags, National windshield, extended foot control pegs, some other stuff, 11,700 miles.

I didn`t mean to buy that big of a bike, was going to get a 650 or so to run around town on, but when it came up at the yearly collector car/motorcycle auction, price was right.

Had fun, but just to big to buzz around on at my age.

My son had the same bike but it was the dark blue. Now has some sort of Hardly a Davison.

Grumpy

David Fermani
01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Congrats Ron and thanks for sharing your special purchase with us! I loved those cars back in the day. The chome wheels always failed, the quarters were prone to rust and the air suspension is a ticking time bomb. Did you buy this local to you?

Can we round up a group of trained perfectionists to perform an Autopian excorcism on it?

David Fermani
01-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Were you ever familiar with the shop across from Ford`s World Headquarters that modified the Marauders?

imported_ZimRandy
01-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Congrats on the new ride!

My friends have had the Mark VIII`s and Marauders and I have a `95 Impala SS (with a six speed manual) so this thread hooked me right away. I`ve always liked the big cars and luxury cars that are still `sporty`.

Please post pics of the new car!

Randy

Ron Ketcham
01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
The air suspension has all new parts with few miles on them, no rust, wheels are not in bad shape for the age of the car (I will probably replace them anyway).

Never been in an accident, etc.

The one thing I have not checked out yet (on my way up to see it when I finish here) is the paint, other than pics of it. It looks good in all the photos, but at it`s age, a couple of owners, it may be hammered and if so, that could kill the deal.

Ron Ketcham
01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Never got there. Bonnani told me about it and we were going to go visit.

Spent most of my Ford time out at Yipsi and the body/paint tech center or at the Blue Lagoon, or Vehicle Ops in Allen Park.

Grumpy

shirtman
01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Ron - this site The Mark VIII Site (http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/) might be of interest to you if you haven`t found it already... Personally I was a big fan of the predecessor - the MKVII. My father bought one new and held on to it for many years until he let it go, a decision he regrets to this day (he is now 92). Good luck to you in your hunt!

Jeff

Accumulator
01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
..Accumulator, what do you think?

I think that if you like the MKVIIIs then more power to you! Glad to hear you`re gonna indulge yourself this way. We`re not getting any younger so why wait?!?

Note that the same guys who work magic on Panthers do some good stuff to the MKVIIIs ;) Check out "J-modding" the transmission and/or at least get somebody good to do a reflash of the chip (if you don`t bother getting it dynotuned); as you learned, the programming can make an incredible diff.

Here`s another linkie worth a peek: TCCoA Tech Articles (http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html)

One big caveat though- AFAIK, replacement headlights are utterly impossible to get. Period. None out there. I really would look into that because I hear it`s a "gotta just part it out!"-serious issue, and please do it before you write that check.

If you *don`t* pull the trigger on it...well...[insert my usual Panther-mania here]... Sorry, couldn`t resist :chuckle:

C. Charles Hahn- Having lived with a few `95-`96 Caprice 9C1s, I`d look for a `95 instead, lots of advantages IME with zero downsides (as far as I ever found).

Never woulda guessed that you`re half my age :eek: And yeah, I absolutely mean that as a compliment.