PDA

View Full Version : American Courtesy Titles eg Mr Speaker

Lowejackson
01-21-2012, 04:47 PM
During the week I watched a bit of the Republican candidates debate on TV. The man asking the questions, on several occasions referred to Newt Gingrich as Mr Speaker. As a Brit I am not that familiar with American courtesy titles but is it formally correct to refer to Mr Gingrich as Mr Speaker. I have also seen previous American Presidents referred to in conversations as Mr President, so do you get to keep the title even though your no longer in that role.

bigltc
01-22-2012, 09:20 PM
I think the etiquette is to still use the title for retired or former politicians like Representative, Senator, and Mr. Speaker.

Listen to the radio in the SF bay area and they will have much less flattering names for him. :fencing:

C. Charles Hahn
01-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Well, if nothing else "Mr. Speaker" sounds better than "Hey Big Mouth!" :lol

Nth Degree
01-23-2012, 12:57 AM
I choose not to watch any of the debates. I feel like people get dumber the more they listen to these idiots. The fact that they vote for them is evidence enough.

Scottwax
01-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Well, if nothing else "Mr. Speaker" sounds better than "Hey Big Mouth!" :lol

Rather have him than the utter failure in the white house right now. Hell, I`d rather have Carter back in there.

bigltc
01-23-2012, 03:03 AM
Now you did it Scott! I`ve got Billy Beer coming out of my nose!

C. Charles Hahn
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Rather have him than the utter failure in the white house right now. Hell, I`d rather have Carter back in there.

I couldn`t disagree more, but I know better than to try debating politics on the forum here.