PDA

View Full Version : Help fixing this door rust

Pages : [1] 2

dekeman
01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi all,

I`ve got an interesting rust problem on the edges of the doors of my `03 Mazda Protege. It has progressed slowly over time to the point where I can`t ignore it anymore. The worst is the driver door, but the rear driver`s side is also bad. The passenger side, oddly enough, is barely rusty. The problems are mostly on the lower corners on the inside, and extend the length of the inner door channel under the door panel. Behold:

This one is the worst, and it appears the rust is beginning to get scaly (not to mention bubbly as I look at it-ick).

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dsc_0334.jpg

The rust extends under the door panel in the little channel you see:

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dsc_0335.jpg

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dsc_0339.jpg

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dsc_0340.jpg

The rear driver side door- not quite as bad:

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dsc_0347.jpg

Here are the products I have to deal with this:

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/dsc_0349.jpg

I had planned on knocking some of it off with a wire brush and going at it with the Mar-Hyde, then the Rust Encapsulator, then the factory touch up paint-in-a-bottle (that isn`t pictured), but I think RE needs rust to bond to. So is a better route to just sand down and knock off the bubbling, then Rust Encapsulator, then paint? Want to get ahead of this as I need to ship out again with the Army (I`m on some leave from overseas and I saw this and can`t ignore it).

Thanks for any advice that may help!

SilverCivic
01-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

I`ve got an interesting rust problem on the edges of the doors of my `03 Mazda Protege. It has progressed slowly over time to the point where I can`t ignore it anymore. The worst is the driver door, but the rear driver`s side is also bad. The passenger side, oddly enough, is barely rusty. The problems are mostly on the lower corners on the inside, and extend the length of the inner door channel under the door panel.

Thanks for any advice that may help!

There is your problem. If you saw that the rust was forming why didn`t you do something about it then? If you notice it early it is a whole lot easier to deal with.

Your plan sounds about right. You need to get rid of all the rust from the surface before you paint it otherwise it will come back. I use Rust-Mort on my vehicles and it works great. It is about $35 a quart though.

tom p.
01-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Man, I don`t know that I`d attempt to repair that. That`s not topical rust. Do you think you can stop that :think:

From the perspective of pure aggravation, aren`t you better off getting a new door and swapping panels? Maybe search for a door from a bone-yard??

David Fermani
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
You won`t fix that rust. You`re wasting your time. Replace the door. Search Results (http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi)

dekeman
01-20-2012, 06:18 PM
There is your problem. If you saw that the rust was forming why didn`t you do something about it then?

When I noticed it, I had moved from Northern NY to VA after a deployment, and was getting ready for another tour by myself in Korea. Life has been hard enough without attempting body work I have no idea how to do.

Not sure about replacing the door, but from your replies I`m not hopeful I can slow the rust down enough to save it. It may take a few more years, but I suspect that what you haven`t said- the rust will eventually take over the door- will occur sooner or later.

tom p.
01-20-2012, 06:22 PM
It may take a few more years, but I suspect that what you haven`t said- the rust will eventually take over the door- will occur sooner or later.

Nothing to apologize for if you were in NY. Stuff like this happens all the time. David ran a search for you. I didn`t look at it, but have to believe you can find a blue door in good shape and get it shipped to you.

Return the Eastwood products. Move on and enjoy the car :) Mazda makes a nice car.

C. Charles Hahn
01-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Not sure about replacing the door, but from your replies I`m not hopeful I can slow the rust down enough to save it. It may take a few more years, but I suspect that what you haven`t said- the rust will eventually take over the door- will occur sooner or later.

Pretty much. The only way you could possibly fix that is to take the skin off the door, replace the rotted metal of the inner structure, and re-skin the door. Not really worth it on that car.

Ron Ketcham
01-21-2012, 12:18 AM
As you stated Charlie, pull the hem flange back, clean it, apply an acid etch primer (replacement for ecoat), surface prime and followed by repaint.

And go the one step that Mazda stopped doing in the early 90`s, after all the work, apply an ASTM-117B speced anti-rust, wax based to the inner cavatity, and it is good for years and years.

If Mazda`s bean counters would have allowed this in the first place (the anti-rust-wax based compound) to all the inner cavatities, no problem today.

E-coat, like all paint products, will crack and the bottom of door flanges is the first place this takes place.

Plus, the car was in N.Y., etc, where the mag cloride is used in place of cloride salt, it`s tough for the factory ecoat, etc to keep it from happening.

All that Eastwood stuff is just a band-aid, not worth the time and money.

The factory warrranty is expired, and it only, like all the others, covers "manufacturing defects" for time stated in the owners manual.

It could be cleaned and sprayed with the ValuGard Rust Inhibitor and that will slow it down, since the corrosion "creeps" into the flange areas and it stops or reduces the continued corrosion of the hem flange area.

Must work or Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Chrysler, etc would not require the product to be used on all collision repairs of their vehicles that are covered under their factory warranty.

Grumpy

A.Bursell
01-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Could this still be covered under warranty? Don`t some cars now come with really long rust warranties-- 10 years?

Adam

dekeman
01-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Hello,

I`ve made some headway in placing a band-aid on this to slow it down before I head back overseas with the Army til the summer. I know I`ll likely need to replace this door in the future; I`m doing something about it so my wife doesn`t have to worry about a rusted out door while I`m gone. I have read all your replies and appreciate all the great information. I`ve elected to abrade away all I can and leave enough for Mar-Hyde rust converter to penetrate. From there I plan to coat twice with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, then paint over and clearcoat; I`ve gotten as far as the rust conversion. I have figured out what I assume to be the hem flange on the bottom of the door, where the outer skin folds over the inner door. The corrosion is centered here; what I assume is a hem flange sealer caulk is covering the joint, and the road spray leeched underneath the sealer:

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/mazda-rust-002.jpg

I`ve left some of the sealer in place where it seems to be firmly bonded, but looking at the condition of what I removed makes me think I need to remove all the sealer under the door and treat accordingly:

http://davepear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/mazda-rust-003.jpg

Am I correct? Would hate to regret not doing this right while I`m across the globe while my wife deals with my poor decision. Also, how would I reseal the hem flange before painting? This was likely done by a robot at the factory, so my repair would be a little less pretty, but hopefully effective.

dekeman
01-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Anybody have any ideas about that hem flange sealer? I`ve gotta go back overseas in a week and thus don`t have much time to get it done. Thanks for any help you can give.

Accumulator
01-29-2012, 03:20 PM
dekeman- I really don`t think the flange sealer will make much of a diff.

I hate to post this, so much so that I almost didn`t...but I too think you`re pretty much wasting your time.

I`m a big fan of the Eastwood stuff, but I also have first-hand experience with how some Mazda door bottoms rust out. I really don`t think this is gonna work. Even my usually good bodyshop couldn`t stop it on my Mazda (and they *did* fix the same problem on my Jag and it`s stayed fixed for decades).

Do what you can with what you already have and start thinking about finding a door if you want a permanent solution. And treat that replacement door before you install it or you`ll be right back where you started after a while.

dekeman
01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks Accumulator. I was afraid of that. I`m gonna go ahead with my plan so it at least stays ok while I`m overseas, and when it starts to rust through again I`ll put another door on it. What a disappointment.

I still have not been able to find out how to replace a hem flange seal. I know there`s gotta be a way.

Ron Ketcham
01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Anybody have any ideas about that hem flange sealer? I`ve gotta go back overseas in a week and thus don`t have much time to get it done. Thanks for any help you can give.

In order to stop or slow down the corrsion, you MUST get a cavatity wax "inside the drain holes" by a fogging process.

A ASTM-117B approved/speced product must seek out bare metal, replace the water/moisture away from the areas "inside and in the hem flange", protect it from corrosion. A product that meets that spec has to "seek and creep" at least 3 mil into the seam/flange while displacing any moisture from the bare metal.

Spraying stuff on the outside is like waving your thingy in the wind.

The issue started on the inside of the door, the flange opened up a very small amount and allowed corrosive compounds to enter in that very small crack and start eating away.

Covering from the outside is NOT going to take care of the issue.

Grumpy

Accumulator
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
dekeman- figure out how to get the door`s upholstery panel off so you can get inside it.

IN THE ABSENCE OF THE PROPER STUFF AND EQUIPMENT (yeah, that`s a nod to you, Ron ;) ), I`d probably use Eastwood`s stuff for doing the inside of frame rails. You might use the stuff you have, but I don`t think it will seep/creep into the seam the way you need it to.

Then maybe spray what you have down in there too. Between that and what you can do on the visible/out side, I probably wouldn`t worry about the seam sealer. BUT ok, IIRC POR-15 makes a putty version of their stuff that *might* do what you`re after. Sorry, I don`t have anything better to offer, don`t think Eastwoods flange/etc. sealer would help.