PDA

View Full Version : Check out the smoke damage in this VW Golf. Opinions welcomed.

Pages : [1] 2

WaxManRonnie
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I PM`d Accumulator on this car, But I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. Guy called me and I went out to see this VW. It was in the garage during a house fire. As you can see it`s sustained some pretty good black smoke inside. The outside I`m not worried about. I`m waiting on to see if he`ll accept my quote to detail it. :soscared:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/superman4evr/2-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/superman4evr/1-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/superman4evr/7-7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/superman4evr/3-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/superman4evr/6-6.jpg

I`ve never seen the inside of a car this bad. Anyone else have experience with this? What did you use or would you use? I`m guessing there will be many many rags involved with this one. Little worried about getting the smell out too.

I told the owner to park it in the garage and roll the windows down a bit to air it out...

RaskyR1
01-18-2012, 04:20 PM
:faint2:

Have fun with that one!

Paul Sparks
01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
I have no experience with this type of damage whatsoever. With that said I would start with completely removing the interior from the car. Cleaning the metal shell inside first and testing various parts of the upholstery to see what was necessary to restore to original condition. It could range anywhere from a APC wipe-down or a dry cleaning product or all the way to a complete power wash.Kind of like the expression of start with the least aggressive method and continue until you find the right combination. I know this is most likely not the answer you are seeking but just sharing what my process would consist of.I`m sure with the experience on this board, someone will have done similar work before that can chime in with helpful info that can help.

Brad B
01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
It would be great to see some process and finished pics!

Ben@3D
01-18-2012, 05:20 PM
You could try this method...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_sl_bj4z0A

Sorry, couldnt resist. Man that car is a mess! Good luck. Might I recommend purchasing rags in bulk!

C. Charles Hahn
01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
I have no experience with this type of damage whatsoever. With that said I would start with completely removing the interior from the car. Cleaning the metal shell inside first and testing various parts of the upholstery to see what was necessary to restore to original condition. It could range anywhere from a APC wipe-down or a dry cleaning product or all the way to a complete power wash.Kind of like the expression of start with the least aggressive method and continue until you find the right combination. I know this is most likely not the answer you are seeking but just sharing what my process would consist of.I`m sure with the experience on this board, someone will have done similar work before that can chime in with helpful info that can help.

Completely agreed. I`d strip that interior first, and don`t forget to run some sort of cleaner through all of the A/C vents since I`ll guarantee soot gathered in them as well.

Personally I think a steam cleaner would be your friend on this one big time.

justin30513
01-18-2012, 07:09 PM
You`ll have to take everything a part. I mean every panel. Anything that`s bolted, screwed, or snapped. You will have to wiped down all of the parts plus the car itself.

This will make for a nice make over!

Scottwax
01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
I`m with the others, the interior needs to come completely out.

justin30513
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Smoke is so hard to to get out. Might even need a new headliner and carpet.

Greg Gellas
01-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Your gonna need a counteractanct to break up the smoke molecules to remove the smell. Just search "counteractants smoke damage" and find a product you choose to use. GL that things a mess :(

Strokes77
01-18-2012, 08:55 PM
This is awesome. Please turn it in to a C&B.

Fast Eddie
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Well that looks like a nightmare to say the least. If you do get this car all cleaned up, please post some after pics. I`d be really interested to see how you tackle that project.

Paul Mitchell
01-18-2012, 11:59 PM
I agree with the others that you`ll have to strip the interior completely. An ozone machine should take care of any residual smoke odor as that`s what they use for dwelling fires. I spent 35 years in the property claims insurance business and these machines work really well. Ozone is also used to remove the smoke odor from clothing and upholstered furniture after a fire. You should be able to rent a portable ozone machine. I worked only with claims on buildings but I believe David Fermani works with auto claims and should be able to give you more specific advice.

salty
01-19-2012, 01:54 AM
I`ve done 4 in the last few months, insurance claims. Everyone is different, being the cause of fire and damage done. The last few have being electrical fires of some sort. To be honest the smell was not that bad on these ones.

The last one had the headliner, carpet and some seat covers replaced, but the rest of the interior looked like the OP`s pics.

Vacuum all fabric first and anything else possible

As soot is a very spreadable substance. My plan of attack is a dust cloth or two. Get as much as possible, removed dry.

Then I use a mix of APC and deodorizer, and soak terry cloths in it and wipe and dry with another cloth. All surfaces including glass. The worst will be any rubber grab handles, as it seems to absorb the black, but can be made to look good with strong APC.

Fabric. Deodorizer spray and then Pre-treater spray. Brush, dwell and extract. Spray deodorizer again. Let dry.

Ozone overnight.

Detail every inch of interior again with deodorizer damp cloth, changing as needed. Clean windows.

Kind of a shortened version, but the bones are there.

pixelmonkey
01-19-2012, 07:45 AM
dry ice blasting

chris<pixelmonkey>:D