PDA

View Full Version : Car moisture and musty smell problem

schiddy
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Hey all! Bought a new cabin air filter with what I believe was charcoal layer last summer. I`ve always noticed my car retained moisture inside easily but it`s been pretty bad this winter. Windows fog up pretty fast compared to normal, and mats take a long time to dry out. I`ve used inside air (which I know can make problems worse) with allergy prone family members in car, and when it`s wicked cold out this winter. Occasionally I smoke in the car but have been trying not too.

Well, while driving in snow yesterday, immediately horrible musty funky smell come out of the defroster. We immediately pulled over and tossed the cabin air filter, opened all the windows and tried to blast air through the vents with the windows open to air everything out a little. It was freezing and snowing so didn`t have much time to do this, still was a little funky. Being winter here it`s a little tough to find time to air out the car. Thinking of buying two filters, one to use for the initial trying to air and dry out. And a fresh clean one for afterward.

Any suggestions on how to air and/or clean out ventilation system?

Any techniques for drying mats and carpet out in winter time? (Should I take the mats inside and clean them?)

Any effective charcoal or silicon products that I can purchase to suck up moisture?

Ron Ketcham
01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
First and foremost---What is the vehicle, what age is it, did you buy it new, or used.

Has it ever been in a bodyshop due to an accident?

Then, once these questions are answered, we may be able to move on to finding a resolution to the concern.

Grumpy

schiddy
01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks Ron. 2007 honda civic si sedan. Bought it used with 35k on it about a year and half ago. Previous owner was a smoker by the looks of a couple burns in fabric. No odor when purchased until now. Never been to autobody shop that I can tell. Carfax was clean, just denoted it came off a lease, but sometimes I wonder if it`s ever had any work done to it. I`ve replace the cabin air filter twice before this occurrence. Original filter was just paper, the most recent one I replaced with looks like a paper/charcoal combo. I threw in a new filter today. I blasted the heat and opened the windows for a while today but don`t know if that was a good idea. Pretty moist out here today, off and on rain. Still quite a smell but greatly reduced.

Bought some ozium but not so sure I want to use it now. From some googling, sounds like some mildew grew in the filter, vents, or AC evaporator.

JohnKleven
01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Is the windshield original? If it has been replaced, it is likely it was not done properly and is leaking just enough to fog up your windows. I would have it checked out. First you need to fix the problem, then cleaning will be the next step. 1Z Klima Cleaner works great for musty odors in your a/c

John

schiddy
01-17-2012, 10:00 PM
hmmmm good question! How can I check? If it has honda markings does that point to being original?

schiddy
01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Oh and to add to the facts, the car does not smell at all until the heat is turned on. (outside or inside air)

Ron Ketcham
01-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Sounds like, from your info, that there is water coming in from somewhere.

Could also be the evaporator, for the H/A/C. which on Honda`s is know for the evaporator tray holding mositure, therefore creating a breeding ground for bacteria.

Then, it may be the windshield leaking concern as mentioned, but doubt that is the concern.

Check the trunk area, pull up the carpet, look into the wheel well areas for moisture that could have leaked in.

Check under the front carpets around the under dash area (evaporator can get plugged, create what I mentioned), plus the drain hole being plugged will allow some moisture to overflow onto the carpet area.

Not enough to see happen without close inspection, but has been known to take place.

Let us know what you find when you check these areas closely.

Grumpy

Nth Degree
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Could be a leaking heater core as another possible source.

I have had some success with silica gel placed in the car for absorbing moisture. You can pick some up at craft stores like Michael`s or A.C. Moore for $15-$20. I cut up an old T-shirt and made little bags and place them around my car after I had a 12 pack of soda explode when the temps hit 100+. Not an immediate solution, but might help reduce the fogging a bit after you find the source.

schiddy
01-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks a million guys, needed some direction. I`ll try to check those things out tomorrow morning when I have some light.

togwt
01-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Identify its source

Without identifying and eliminating the source of the odour / mould you can`t get rid of it, there are many products that mask odours; what you need to do is remove and clean and thoroughly dry the whole area; carpets (inc rubber backing), upholstery (inc foam and etc) that is affected, including the headliner and metal floor pan (don’t forget to clean/replace the cabin air filter).

“Odour Elimination” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/138884-odour-elimination.html#post1476120

“Air Conditioner Cleaning” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136495-air-conditioner-cleaning.html#post1447731

tom p.
01-18-2012, 07:01 AM
schiddy, make sure you don`t have the RECIRCULATE button pushed.

I would probably give strong consideration to cleaning the evaporator, but that doesn`t sound like it`s the root of the problem.

Do you experience winter where you live? Are the floor mats wet on the underside?

schiddy
01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
It`s on recirculate now, I didn`t want it on outside air blowing air in through the vents until I figured out what was wrong. Should I switch it to outside air and leave it?

schiddy
01-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I live in CT Tom. And we`re in a cold spell right now. 12 degrees right now. Tried to look at the car this morning as I couldn`t yesterday because of work. So freaking cold hard to look for clues. Carpet under the mats seemed dry and didn`t see any ice but it`s so cold. Didn`t see any headline water staining by the sunroof or anywhere else on headliner. I didn`t turn on any ventilation in fear of spreading spores and just tried to look for signs of water leakage.

Only clue I could find was some ice on the INSIDE of of the windshield by the defroster vent.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/photo2-6.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/photo-10.jpg

Have the windows and sunroof open now to air the cabin out a little. Is it too cold for this to even be effective? How should I proceed from here? Should I just go ahead and clean the evaporator with klima cleaner?

How to apply einszett Klima-Cleaner (http://www.1z-usa.com/klima-cleaner_application.html)

Have to drive to the parents 50minutes away this weekend. Not looking forward to this as this probably won`t be solved before then. (Even if I know what it is/what to do, I`ll have to order products).