PDA

View Full Version : Getting wax out of black cloth top.

edonthenet
01-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I bought a used car and the shop that detailed it got white splotches of wax residue on the black convertible cloth top. The weather is not car wash friendly lately but I`m not sure if letting it sit will make it worse or even permanent. So I might have to bite the bullet and get out there if you guys think it`s necessary.

So, what would be the best method to get this out of the fabric?

Dan
01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
You could be in for some fun with this one. Rubber trim is bad enough, but get something like NXT into fabric and you`ll be wishing for a new top. I`d start with a dedicated cloth top cleaner, 303 makes a nice one. Use that and a soft brush. If its a normal wax, it should be pretty easy to remove. From there you might want to try an APC. If that gets you nowhere, there are two other options that aren`t exactly safe, but if you have nothing to lose, first try a magic eraser and then move on to a strong degreaser like Meguiars.

Ron Ketcham
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
A good all purpose, mixed correctly, allowed to "soak" and kept wet for a few minutes will break the wax.

The "real key" is the correct brush!

Have made this correction hundreds of times and the brush is the main thing to get the residue out.

A "velour spotting" brush is that key.

They are not easy to come by, but once you have one, you will find it is the best for spot cleaning such as this or seats, etc.

The only place I know that carries them is ValuGard, and they are not cheap.

Special brush fibers, persimmon wood handle (got a couple and one of them I brought with me from when I worked for Finish Kare, so it`s at least 20 years old) they are the best.

Grumpy

Accumulator
01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Ron Ketcham- Hmm..."velour spotting brush" huh? I gather Beth will know what I`m talking about if I ask for one, right?

Ron Ketcham
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
It is shown and explained on the "store" part of the web site.

However, I have no idea of why they put that price on it, guess since it is so difficult to find, they took a bit of an advantage of that fact.

It is one great brush tool, no matter the price they are charging.

If I were still in sort of charge out there, no way it would be more than $25.

Grumpy

Accumulator
01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
However, I have no idea of why they put that price on it...If I were still in sort of charge out there, no way it would be more than $25.

Yikes, without even looking it up I`m a bit :eek: when you say it shouldn`t be *more* than $25!

Ron Ketcham
01-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Long time retired, but have approached the powers of the company regarding the pricing offered.

Who knows, they may wise up and start appreciating enthusists and individual detailers and what they are capable of when it comes to purchasing product.

Will let you know.

Grumpy