PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Coating on Exterior Plastic on a Hummer

Trendkiller Z28
01-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a customer who has a Hummer and he had the exterior plastic coated with some sort of clear coating to protect the plastic. At this point half of it has pealed off and he just wants it removed completely. Should I use an APC solution to remove it? If so, what percentage. If not, what should I do?

Ron Ketcham
01-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Good luck, since you are not informed of what the coating consist of.

Try the all purpose, but if you move to hydrocarbon type solvent know what is in it.

You could make matters worse if you use the wrong type.

Please don`t try lacquer thinner! Or any other clorinated solvents.

Grumpy

Trendkiller Z28
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
I will try the APC method first and if it comes to something more I will try it in a hidden place on the vehicle first. Should I try 100% APC first or go with a percentage mix with water?

Ron Ketcham
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Always mix the APC according to the directions.

The water is the solvent that creates the reactivity of the various surfactants and corrossive elements of the product.

Allow some "dwell" time before agitating, allow the product to work, do NOT use hot water when mixing as this increases the reactivity of the chemicals beyond safe usage.

Grumpy

Trendkiller Z28
01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Sounds good. Thank you for the info.

David Fermani
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
APC with some decent dwell time and blast them with a pressure washer (carefully).

Trendkiller Z28
01-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Cool, thank you!

David Fermani
01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
I figure it this way, the shop probably didn`t prep the finish correctly or didn`t use the approved refinish materials and is why it`s failing in the 1st place. What you need to do is loosen it just enough that the pressure behind the powerwasher will blast it away. I`ve done it with paint failure and decals and as long as you don`t get too close, you`ll be just fine *if it going to lift*.