PDA

View Full Version : vinyl cleaning/protectant

imported_tuffluck
01-09-2012, 05:00 PM
i`m having a hard time finding something to clean my vinyl and protect it. it gets dusty and attracts a lot of dust. what do you guys use?

Accumulator
01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
tuffluck- What vinyl...interior? What about simply not doing much in the way of applying "protection", just use something like Meguiar`s Interior QD.

imported_tuffluck
01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
i just mean the dash and trim in the interior. some of it is leather for me and some of it is that fake vinyl leather. i have used meguiar`s in the past but thought about switching it up if there was another product that produced better results.

i`m considering trying 303 as i`ve heard good things about it.

i also have this feeling scottwax will recommend ONR at QD strength, which would be easy enough for me to try.

Dan
01-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I think most people here prefer nothing at all. As far as keeping dust away, Optimum Leather care dries about as dry as they get and seems to keep dust away as good as bare plastic.

Accumulator
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
tuffluck- Ah, OK, gotcha. For most such surfaces on the interior I just clean with whatever my Interior Cleaner of the moment happens to be (most often it`s been Griot`s) and then use a little of the Meg`s Interior QD or 1Z Cockpit Premium. If I think I can get away with it, I skip the proper cleaning and just use the Meg`s or 1Z.

addysdaddy
01-19-2012, 03:46 PM
http://addysdaddy.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v33/p579196300-10.jpg

Trying to get a matte finish on my all weather matts. The smaller mat treated with Adams sVRT and the larger one with Wolfgang Vinyl & Rubber treat. Though the camera phone pix doesn`t show it, the WG finish is much more even and slick to the touch. The WG is more matte in finish, less splotchy and less slick. I first cleaned them both with P21s TAW and applied the vinyl treatments with a mf rag. For my dash and other vinyl surfaces, I really like 303.

addysdaddy
01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
http://addysdaddy.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v33/p579196300-5.jpg

sorry, here`s a bigger version

Kean
01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree with Accumulator. 1Z CP was my favorite and then Meguiars QID came out. I found the performance and characteristics of that product very similar to CP. ....so similar in fact, that I started using it instead (it is cheaper). I actually started buying it by the gallon (sold as the same product under their "Detailer" line).

I like 303 (also buy by the gallon) but not for interiors. It leaves a bit of a sheen on surfaces even when buffed down per the instructions.

Here`s a comparison between 1Z CP vs. 303 I did on an interior panel a while back (I happened to have one laying around). It was cleaned thoroughly with Meg APC+ prior to application of the products:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z174/Kean_1/IMG_0252.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z174/Kean_1/IMG_0253.jpg

303 isn`t that bad but even a little bit of the satin sheen it provides I`m not fond of on my dash and other interior bits. Products like 1Z, QID, etc. on the other hand are great for wipedowns/light cleaning, leave a clean/fresh scent and don`t noticeably alter the finish. It really depends on what you`re looking for in a product though.

addysdaddy
01-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Have to say the 1Z looks great. LOL, thought the 303 didn`t have a shine until I looked at your side by side. Very revealing and thanks - I`ll give it a try.

justin30513
01-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Meg`s Quik Interior is the best I`ve used for my business.

Protects, cleans well, and smells great. Leave a natural look as well. Very inexpensive too.

Kean
01-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Have to say the 1Z looks great. LOL, thought the 303 didn`t have a shine until I looked at your side by side. Very revealing and thanks - I`ll give it a try. ....honestly, I would try the Meguiars QID first. It can likely be found locally wherever Meguiars products are sold, it`s cheaper (as a couple of us mentioned) and performs very similarly to 1Z CP. I`m not trying to steer you from 1Z since I believe it`s an excellent product (and what I used as a benchmark when I switched to QID), but you might find the QID a better option. ....plus, if you try QID and like it, then buy a bottle of CP to compare and go from there.

BrianBrook
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
I use Malco Clean and Shine, it works great and doesn`t leave to much of a shine. You can buy it buy the 32oz,gallon, or 5 gallon pail. Might be worth checking out, but the pictures of 1Z and 303 make them look like great products.

good guys
01-24-2012, 11:15 PM
1Z is great, a good cleaner and leaves no residue left over to attract dust. It`s my go to for interiors.

hacadacalopolis
01-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Im thinking i need to at least try this. The detail shoppe.com seems to be off anybody know anything????

Kean
01-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Im thinking i need to at least try this. The detail shoppe.com seems to be off anybody know anything???? ....not sure what your question is but Meguiars QID can be found at most retailers selling their product line. ....303 can be found at Ace Hardware, RV/boat stores or through a variety of online vendors. ....1Z CP can more easily be found online.

Autogeek and DetailedImage are just a couple of internet vendors I have sourced these products from and they both carry all three. DI also carries the 1 gallon size of QID which seems to be hit and miss with AG (DI is where I just bought a jug).