PDA

View Full Version : Should I reclay a month later to apply sealant?

Amberelise
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Last month I purchased a 2012 Hyandai Elantra. A week after purchase we clayed it, applied Mother`s Sealer & Glaze and then waxed it with Mother`s carnauba.

I mistakingly thought the Mother`s Sealer was a sealant - which I need because my car sits outside in Chicago. Now I realize it is not. I`m looking into purchasing Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to apply this weekend.

Should I clay the car again to remove the wax, etc. that I applied last month? Does it all come off anyway? Should I just wash the car, apply the sealant and then re-wax?

Thanks so very much for your help, all. I want to do it right. :)

pwaug
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I believe you need to get the Carnuba etc off of the car for any sealant to bond properly to the paint. Claying will not always remove all of the previous product. Some wash with a citrus wash others use a paint cleaner in addition to claying.

Accumulator
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Amberelise- Welcome to Autopia!

I agree with pwaug. Done properly (i.e., gently), claying isn`t really a good way to strip the existing LSP (Last Step Product). I`d either use a paint cleaner/All In One product or wash with something potent (P21s Total Auto Wash, ValuGard`s "A", FK1119).

Oh, and no...Dawn isn`t all that great for this either.

Eh, I`d do a regular wash and then use the paintcleaner/AIO. AIOs like Klasse are user-friendly and oh-so-handy to have around anyhow, so I`d buy some of that.

Amberelise
01-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Got it. Perfect. Thanks so much!

Amberelise
01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
So, quick question. I went out today, washed the car and then applied Klasse AIO. For no good reason other than it`s habit, I covered it with some carnauba wax. Now I`m reading that I should have used the AIO and then Klasse sealer. Is that really the case?

*sigh* Eventually I will get this right. My car sits outside 24/7 in Chicago. Should I do it all again?

pwaug
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I`m not familiar with the Klasse products so you`ll have to rely on some other responses. You could always use Duragloss (http://www.duragloss.com/) products which are resonably priced, available OTC from NAPA, CarQuest and some others. They are very durable. 501 from the Marine line is a good AIO with decent sealant protection and then topped with 105 should last through the winter. Mix each 4:1 with 601Bonding agent, apply a thin coat and then buff off after hazing. Then throughout the winter you can apply a coat of AquaWax spray when you have a break in the weather to extend durability.

2005GTPinMD
01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
So, quick question. I went out today, washed the car and then applied Klasse AIO. For no good reason other than it`s habit, I covered it with some carnauba wax. Now I`m reading that I should have used the AIO and then Klasse sealer. Is that really the case?

*sigh* Eventually I will get this right. My car sits outside 24/7 in Chicago. Should I do it all again?

Nothing wrong with that - you just layered a sealant (KAIO) with carnuba wax. The rule of thumb is that sealants will not adhere to wax. I would just leave it on - you got two layers of protection on right now. I use KAIO to clean and protect and then apply a sealant.

Accumulator
01-17-2012, 12:08 PM

-AND-

Nothing wrong with that - you just layered a sealant (KAIO) with carnuba wax. The rule of thumb is that sealants will not adhere to wax. I would just leave it on - you got two layers of protection on right now. I use KAIO to clean and protect and then apply a sealant.

Right, and many waxes will last a lot longer than the KAIO would by itself.

Amberelise- Did you actually *buy* the Klasse Sealant Glaze already? If so, I`ll offer advice about its use. If not, there are other options that might be at least as appealing.

Which wax did you put on top of the KAIO?