PDA

View Full Version : Building a cliental base

CalgaryDetail
03-07-2006, 12:14 AM
So it looks like i will 90% open a mobile shop this summer. I have looked into it and have an investor (my dad) I have looked into products, trailers, and all the rest. My question is how do you find customers, right now I have just some freinds of the family about 5. How did you start? Thankx for the help

Brenton
03-07-2006, 06:06 AM
-Get in the Yellow Pages. Deadline for Calgary is NEXT WEEK. In Calgary, everything is yellow pages.
-start by April 1st, detailing season is fall & spring, not summer
-Check out OCdetail.com (jng`s page) for tips.
-get wicked logos on your truck & trailer; good phone #, good website; put your logos on your work tent and your water recovery system and your little sister`s trike and...
-in fact, buy an ambulance for your truck and you might not need a trailer; most ambulances have full electrical and some water softening systems in them already, and after 450000k tend to go out into the market (minus the lights)
-do free work for office managers, church pastors, car dealers, drug dealers, school principals, university profs (they drive nice cars), etc., etc.; don`t expect to get paid much for the first couple of weeks--nothing for the first few days; build a contract/wholesale client base of about 30% of your work so that you`ll always have it--these are the kind that will stay with you in the colder months when you are doing specialized work out of somebody`s garage your rent
-one member of DC would get up in the morning and knock on doors until he/she made the money they wanted for the day--they never went hungry and built a customer base
-get a killer business card; mine is sharp, but not killer
-do a search; this has been discussed before

Reflections KoP
03-19-2006, 06:58 PM
-Get in the Yellow Pages. Deadline for Calgary is NEXT WEEK. In Calgary, everything is yellow pages.
-start by April 1st, detailing season is fall & spring, not summer
-Check out OCdetail.com (jng`s page) for tips.
-get wicked logos on your truck & trailer; good phone #, good website; put your logos on your work tent and your water recovery system and your little sister`s trike and...
-in fact, buy an ambulance for your truck and you might not need a trailer; most ambulances have full electrical and some water softening systems in them already, and after 450000k tend to go out into the market (minus the lights)
-do free work for office managers, church pastors, car dealers, drug dealers, school principals, university profs (they drive nice cars), etc., etc.; don`t expect to get paid much for the first couple of weeks--nothing for the first few days; build a contract/wholesale client base of about 30% of your work so that you`ll always have it--these are the kind that will stay with you in the colder months when you are doing specialized work out of somebody`s garage your rent
-one member of DC would get up in the morning and knock on doors until he/she made the money they wanted for the day--they never went hungry and built a customer base
-get a killer business card; mine is sharp, but not killer
-do a search; this has been discussed before

haha drug dealers.... haha ROFL.. well hes right they do have money that they need to spend on their Bling bling rides.

Brenton
03-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Just remember, if a drug dealer wants to pay with credit card, you run over to the restaurant nearby and offer them whatever it takes to put it through.

sneek
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
hmm how do you plan on being a mobile detailer because the water laws don`t allow you to wash car on the street here

Brenton
04-10-2006, 05:14 AM
hmm how do you plan on being a mobile detailer because the water laws don`t allow you to wash car on the street here

I think he`s looking into water recovery systems. Basically, he puts a hula hoop around the entire car, which sucks it into a recovery tank. Then you dispose in a friendly way, which in Calgary means dumping it in Okotoks to infect American drinking water.

jdoria
04-10-2006, 08:34 AM
PEI - you have the right adivce, take themoney any way you can get it.

CalgaryDetail
04-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Thnkx PEI, i am looking into a water mat. unfortunlty i didnt have time to get into the yellow pages, and will only being doing detailing part time this summer. I had to go get another job.. what a sad day. However this summer i do plan on saving up and buying some of the things i need. For example after 1 or 2 paychecks (after savings) ill buy a water mat from the states.(looking at the right look one as it comes with the tank and pump) also i will be sotcking up on things like mf and brushes so come next summer all I have to do is get a buisness licence.

On a side note, and i know it soudsn weirdb but does neone know if an altima can pull a trailer with 90gallons of water, a generator, vacume and presure washer. Its the only car I have and i woukld prefrer for now not to have to buy and old truck. However iif i need to I will. Thnkx for the help

Jngrbrdman
04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Do you really want your altima to blow it`s transmission pulling that much weight? 90 gallons of water is going to weigh over 750 lbs. That isn`t even taking into consideration the weight of the container and trailer. If the Altima has a half ton (1000 lbs) towing capacity then I would say that is probably as much as it could pull. Any more weight than that and you are going to cause serious damage to your car`s suspension and transmission and probably motor too.

This thread might give you some more hints. (http://www.detailcity.org/forums/professional-auto-detailing/17211-hobby-detailing.html) It is directed toward hobby detailers, but professionals use some of the same tactics and methods.

sneek
04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
go for a smaller tank

Mizzuri
04-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi,

Try to look at your new venture as a business and take the emotional aspect out of it. (We all love detailing, but sometimes making a business work takes more than just being a good detailer.)

If i had to do it all again I would;
- Get professional business advice as to setup and structure from the start.
- Not over capitalise at the start, choose the items that are nessessary to start the business and plan to grow and add items.
- Business Plan, especially the marketing aspect. Make sure before you start you know who your target market is, how you are going to get their business and what services will applpy to them. ( By determining your local demographic you can see what percentage of potential cliental will choose what services. If your demographics median income is high then it might be an idea to aim at full service packages with maintence plans. IF low then maybe target mini or express detail services.)
- Find businesses that may be able to work with you. Ie a private golf club offering a detailing serivice to members while they are playing or attending club events. business that sell bodykits and accessories for vehicles etc..
- Setting up a database to record customer details and what services provided can aid in mailouts, referal networks and repeat business.
- the most important is keep an eye on your cashflow. We all hate maintanence plans or regular washing of vehicles but this is an area where you can find the customers to pay the bills. In this situation up selling is everything.

These things ideas are for normall business practices no matter what you are offering, whether it be food or lawn mowing. IF you treat your new venture as a business then it will succeed! Advice from the start will save you and make you more money in the long run.

Good luck

p.s It might sound from this post that I think I know everything. I have started a detailing business the wrong way and learnt these lesons the hard way. Ask as many questions to as many people as possible.

Regards
Anthony

sneek
04-10-2006, 07:36 PM
i agree you gotta start out doing dealer work or else you`ll go broke

CalgaryDetail
04-10-2006, 10:30 PM
cool thnkx. Its advice like that, that makesme love this forum. I was leaning toward my car couldnt pull it however i thought i would save money. I have talked to an investor who said that if i can right up a proper buiness plan he will lend me the full capital needed. So i guees my next question is how do i go about it. I know how to wirte the buisness plan but i dont know how to get the info on potental cilents and waht not. Any advice. or is that somthing i should leave out? Thankx for the help

sneek
04-11-2006, 12:06 AM
hmm this is a plan
you send out flyers that offer a draw prize thingie if they send the flyer back with their information about purchasing habits

PM me preferably on meguairs onlinesame name but i can send you tell you some of the research that i have done about opening a detailing shop( not marketing info just over all) also go to the library and pick up books on opening a detailing place... i might have the boook out lol

( i am a meguiars user because i have never found a product that i didnt love! and their customer service is unbeatable)