PDA

View Full Version : Longtime lurker looking for a true pro to work on my cars....

kapflaco
01-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I just want to say that this is a fantastic site. What you pros do is truly an art. I have learned so much about detailing, new products, techniques, etc, after lurking for 3+ years (my wife thinks I`m nuts for the time I spend on this site.).

As an enthusiast, I have tried to apply everything I have learned and have bought A LOT of products as a result (G110, ONR, OC, OS, OCW, OPC, M21, M205, M26, M34, ColorX, UC, P21S Wax, TAW, Wheel Gel, BFWD, 845IW, 476, you name it, etc.). That being said, I am looking for a "true" pro in NOVA to properly correct my Jet Black e39 BMW 530i and apply Opti-Coat. The paint is deep and glossy, but I just can`t seem to polish out all of the swirls that you can see up close. I have no garage and also have a 1997 Porsche 993 Cab., and 2009 Mazda CX-9 that would be good candidates as well.

Am I correct in thinking that the Opti-Coat will make the Jet Black paint more resistent to swirling as a semi-permanent layer over the soft clear coat? Or, am I be better off living with the minor swirling since Jet Black is so difficult to keep up?

Please let me know if you are interested or can put me in touch with a fellow Autopian in the DC area that has used Opti-Coat.

Thank you!

David Fermani
01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Welcome to Autopia. I moved your thread/request to the regional forums. Good luck with your search. There are tons of qualified candidates that can assist you.

Thomas Dekany
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
I may go back to NOVA to do several cars very soon - When do you need it done?

howareb
01-10-2012, 12:57 AM

If you can hook up with Thomas you would be in GREAT hands.

YES Thomas I am still kicking, look me up if you come into town.

TLMitchell
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the Opti-Coat will make the Jet Black paint more resistent to swirling as a semi-permanent layer over the soft clear coat?

I used Opti Coat on the soft black finish on my bike for precisely that reason. The ititial test was on the front fairing that bears the brunt of weather and bugs. Before Opti Coat removing bugs with a bug sponge produced marring. After Opti Coat I had no marring using the same washing procedures. While care must still be taken when washing there`s no doubt the Opti Coat is harder than my original clear and resists marring much better. Another contribution to reduced marring, while not as slick feeling as a fresh wax or sealant, dirt, bugs etc don`t adhere to OC and surfaces are much easier to clean.

Or, am I be better off living with the minor swirling since Jet Black is so difficult to keep up?

IMO, before applying Opti Coat you want the finish as perfect as you can live with. I expect you`ll find considerably less swirling after using OC so you may as well bring the paint to it`s potential before coating.

TL

kapflaco
01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
David, Thank you for the welcome. I`ve admired your work on Autopia.

kapflaco
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks for responding. I`m not in a big rush...when are you back in town?

If you can hook up with Thomas you would be in GREAT hands.

Do you come this far north on your jobs?

YES Thomas I am still kicking, look me up if you come into town.

I used Opti Coat on the soft black finish on my bike for precisely that reason. The ititial test was on the front fairing that bears the brunt of weather and bugs. Before Opti Coat removing bugs with a bug sponge produced marring. After Opti Coat I had no marring using the same washing procedures. While care must still be taken when washing there`s no doubt the Opti Coat is harder than my original clear and resists marring much better. Another contribution to reduced marring, while not as slick feeling as a fresh wax or sealant, dirt, bugs etc don`t adhere to OC and surfaces are much easier to clean.

IMO, before applying Opti Coat you want the finish as perfect as you can live with. I expect you`ll find considerably less swirling after using OC so you may as well bring the paint to it`s potential before coating.

TL

Thanks! That`s just what I was hoping to hear.

speedfreak81
01-31-2012, 03:38 PM
I know Thomas personally and if you can hook up with him you`re in great hands. If not, feel free to send me a PM and I can get you taken care of.

-Brian

SpeedFreak Detailing