PDA

View Full Version : If Jesus was a compound... Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - Premium Custom Detailing

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Garry Dean
01-07-2012, 09:32 AM
His name would be M101.

My good friend Charlie Hahn was so gracious to send me a bit of his private stash of Meguiars M101 Foam-Cut Compound. This product was developed in Europe for their paint types and buffing styles. It is NOT available here in the US...

As soon as I put the pad to the paint I could tell I was working with a monster.

This compound not only cuts faster and deeper than M105, but dusts less and finishes better. Believe it or not!

I put together a Meguiars Compound Shootout on the Corvette I just finished (video soon to come) in this video that shows a direct comparison between Meguiars D300, M105v1, M105 current version, and the best thing since sliced bread... M101 aka Pimp Juice.

I am SOOOOOOO spoiled now. I know that there is a better compound out there and I cant buy it on a regular basis... Its just not fair!

Meguiars, if you`re listening, please consider bringing this to market here in the US!

Meguiars Compound Showdown D300 M105v1 M105 current version M101 aka Pimp Juice Garry Dean Tampa, FL Premium Custom Detailing - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1Ld1m2FG4)

Thanks for watching!

Scooby24
01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
It looks like 101 hazed a lot more than the current M105.

Garry Dean
01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
It looks like 101 hazed a lot more than the current M105.

Not at all. If you watched the video I put a caption in that said I forgot to get a shot of the M101 after a mist of distilled water and a quick wipe. It actually finished much better than M105v2.

Scooby24
01-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Not at all. If you watched the video I put a caption in that said I forgot to get a shot of the M101 after a mist of distilled water and a quick wipe. It actually finished much better than M105v2.

Ah, I must have closed out too soon. I wonder why it`s not marketed to the US?

Garry Dean
01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Ah, I must have closed out too soon. I wonder why it`s not marketed to the US?

Did you read my post?

togwt
01-07-2012, 10:18 AM
OK, we`ll try to distill down the discussions that have taken place on other forums after some folks managed to obtain this European only formula here in the USA.

[This is the first product that Meguiar`s actually developed outside the US. It was still created by our chemists here in Irvine, CA, but we actually shipped our lead man for the project to Europe, along with a mini lab set up, so that he could quickly respond to testing and inputs and tweak the formula as needed. Pretty cool stuff, actually.

What is M101 designed for? Rotary buffing with a dedicated foam pad on European aftermarket (ie, body shop) paint.

Why "European" aftermarket paint? Because, unlike factory paint which is the same whether the car is sold in Europe, North America or Asia, aftermarket paints vary in different parts of the world. It`s a high solids versus low solids situation with these different paints, and that can require different compound formulations to achieve maximum results. Oh, and for the record, factory paint is vastly different from a chemistry standpoint than the paint used in a body shop. If a body shop, whether in Europe or North America, were to shoot factory paint it would virtually never cure due to a body shops inability to bake it at sufficient heat and for sufficient time. It`s just not economically feasible for a body shop to have that sort of equipment.

Why "dedicated foam pad"? While use of a wool pad is commonplace here in the US for sanding mark and swirl removal, in European body shops they almost never use wool. And rarely do they compound the entire vehicle - it`s mostly spot repair following a repaint, and it`s almost always with a foam pad. They also tend to run the rotary at fairly low rpm. So we`ve developed a dedicated foam pad to use with this compound, taking into account the cultural toward low speed rotary and anti wool bias.

Why did we send a chemist and mini lab to Europe? Lead time, really. Imagine if we sent product over there, had it tested, then had to tweak and send a new batch across the pond, repeat, repeat, repeat? It would have taken months. And we couldn`t do the testing here because the aftermarket paint used in Europe is very different from that used here, due to environmental regulations.

So basically what we have here is a product developed for a very specific type of paint system and a pretty specific work flow. That a handful of guys have imported this back to the US (it is made domestically, just like all the rest of our products) and are finding success with it using either wool or microfiber pads is interesting, to say the least. At the moment we have no solid plans to introduce this product to the US market.] Michael Stoops, Meguiar`s Inc.

€ 50 – 63 USD Per Litre

Barry Theal
01-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Garry,

Great video bud! :rockon:

Barry

Garry Dean
01-07-2012, 10:24 AM
OK, we`ll try to distill down the discussions that have taken place on other forums after some folks managed to obtain this European only formula here in the USA.

[This is the first product that Meguiar`s actually developed outside the US. It was still created by our chemists here in Irvine, CA, but we actually shipped our lead man for the project to Europe, along with a mini lab set up, so that he could quickly respond to testing and inputs and tweak the formula as needed. Pretty cool stuff, actually.

What is M101 designed for? Rotary buffing with a dedicated foam pad on European aftermarket (ie, body shop) paint.

Why "European" aftermarket paint? Because, unlike factory paint which is the same whether the car is sold in Europe, North America or Asia, aftermarket paints vary in different parts of the world. It`s a high solids versus low solids situation with these different paints, and that can require different compound formulations to achieve maximum results. Oh, and for the record, factory paint is vastly different from a chemistry standpoint than the paint used in a body shop. If a body shop, whether in Europe or North America, were to shoot factory paint it would virtually never cure due to a body shops inability to bake it at sufficient heat and for sufficient time. It`s just not economically feasible for a body shop to have that sort of equipment.

Why "dedicated foam pad"? While use of a wool pad is commonplace here in the US for sanding mark and swirl removal, in European body shops they almost never use wool. And rarely do they compound the entire vehicle - it`s mostly spot repair following a repaint, and it`s almost always with a foam pad. They also tend to run the rotary at fairly low rpm. So we`ve developed a dedicated foam pad to use with this compound, taking into account the cultural toward low speed rotary and anti wool bias.

Why did we send a chemist and mini lab to Europe? Lead time, really. Imagine if we sent product over there, had it tested, then had to tweak and send a new batch across the pond, repeat, repeat, repeat? It would have taken months. And we couldn`t do the testing here because the aftermarket paint used in Europe is very different from that used here, due to environmental regulations.

So basically what we have here is a product developed for a very specific type of paint system and a pretty specific work flow. That a handful of guys have imported this back to the US (it is made domestically, just like all the rest of our products) and are finding success with it using either wool or microfiber pads is interesting, to say the least. At the moment we have no solid plans to introduce this product to the US market.] Michael Stoops, Meguiar`s Inc.

Thanks for posting this. I was going to but you beat me to it.

Garry,

Great video bud! :rockon:

Barry

Thanks, Barry.

Scooby24
01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Did you read my post?

I did, but don`t understand how their paint types would make a difference, since we have european manufacturered cars here as well...and buffing styles I don`t know how that is different for them.

Sorry, I`ll quit asking questions. Sheesh.

Garry Dean
01-07-2012, 10:33 AM
I did, but don`t understand how their paint types would make a difference, since we have european manufacturered cars here as well...and buffing styles I don`t know how that is different for them.

Sorry, I`ll quit asking questions. Sheesh.

I didnt mean to sound rude. I just thought I had answered the questions you were asking already. If you just read what TOGWT posted you will thoroughly understand the situation with M101.

Bill D
01-07-2012, 10:34 AM
If this compound continues to show it is a "grail product" on any type of paint, I don`t think there`s any corner in the world that an Autopian wouldn`t go through the lengths to order from to be able to get it. It`s the first hyped ( apparently rightfully so) product of the New Year already.

C. Charles Hahn
01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
If this compound continues to show it is a "grail product" on any type of paint, I don`t think there`s any corner in the world that an Autopian wouldn`t go through the lengths to order from to be able to get it. It`s the first hyped ( apparently rightfully so) product of the New Year already.

That`s an accurate assessment, Bill; it took me quite a while before I found a supplier, and then right before I was preparing to buy, I was lucky enough to have Chris Dasher offer to sell me some of what he had obtained.

If Meguiar`s is listening, I hope they bring it to market domestically!

pixelmonkey
01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
how would you say it stacks up to uno?

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Lowejackson
01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
This product must create a bit of a problem for Meguiars. If it has a better cut and finish this makes their flagship compound redundant. Could 105 be better on softer paints?

Edit. Forgot to add, I really liked the video, very informative.

gmblack3
01-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Props Gary for taking the time to do this video!