PDA

View Full Version : Product question: When to use Paint Cleaner or Clay?

spotcom
01-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Hi all

Great forum - I pop on from time to time to read tips & tricks. I`m not a pro - just trying to do the best for my car & bikes.

I looked in my cupboard today and found I`d bought some products that I didn`t know I had:

Meguairs Paint Cleaner (says "Step 1" of 3 on the bottle)

Meguairs Polish (Says "Step 2") and

Meguairs Carnauba Wax ("Step 3").

I also have some clay bars and some quick detailer for use with the bars.

My question is: When would I ever use the Paint Cleaner? My understanding is that I`d wash the car, then clay it, then polish it, then wax it. So, what`s the paint cleaner for, or is it no longer used? :noidea:

imported_RedlineIRL
01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
I haven`t touched the Meguiars 3 step products in what seems like forever, but from what I remember the cleaner is more for cleaning light stuff off the surface and any old LSPs. If you can feel or see any contaminants bonded to the vehicle surface you will want to use the claybar first. The step 2 polish is nothing more than a glaze

Thomas Dekany
01-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi!

Paint cleaners are still used today. Use it right after claying or if there is no contamination on the paint to get wax off and prep it to put a fresh layer on.

spotcom
01-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Ahh..., yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

Thomas Dekany
01-06-2012, 02:58 AM
You are welcome.

the other pc
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Bear in mind that Meg`s "step2" polish is what Meg`s calls a "pure polish," a.k.a a "glaze." It has no ability to remove defects or perform corrections. It`s strictly a cosmetic product. Using it is optional but it can enhance the look of the finish, especially on darker colors.

Most of the time, when people talk about "polishing" they`re talking about using a product that has cleaning/correcting ability. Meg`s calls that a "cleaner" or "cleaner/polish."

Meg`s "step 1" cleaner is used to remove surface defects like stains or very fine swirls.

pc