PDA

View Full Version : Latest Acquisition: Meguiar`s M101

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

C. Charles Hahn
01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Since I`m not sure whether the source through which I obtained this wants to be named, he will remain nameless for now.

I recently managed to get my hands on a gallon jug of the Europe and Asia market only M101 Foam Cut Compound, and thought I`d share a few pics of the product labels/instructions for those who are interested:

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/M101/IMG_2144.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/M101/IMG_2153.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/M101/IMG_2155.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/M101/IMG_2158.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/M101/IMG_2161.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/M101/IMG_2170.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/M101/photo.JPG

MSDS: http://www.meguiars.com/content/en/msds/M101.pdf

I still have yet to get the chance to try this stuff out myself, but some of it is on its way to a warmer climate where it will be getting a good workout, and I will be giving it a try as well hopefully in the near future -- I will update this thread with information and a review as soon as possible.

Some of you may be aware that I was attempting to arrange a group buy of M101 through a vendor in Italy. After contacting them to get a quote I determined that it won`t be viable; when all is said and done it would end up costing as much or more than it would for individuals to buy directly from the vendor. In the interest of avoiding breaking forum rules I won`t post a link to the vendor`s site, but if anyone is interested I will provide a link via PM or email. (NOTE: The batch I have in my hands now did not come from this vendor.)

Anyone else have any experience with this stuff? From what I`m told it`s the true Holy Grail of Meguiar`s compounds -- cuts more than M105 and finishes down better as well. My initial impression is that it`s a very thick creamy formulation that feels a bit gritty like an old school compound, so I`m kind of intrigued. Can`t wait to unlock its mystical secrets!

**UPDATE** Just received another shipment on 1/12/12; pics on Page 4.

**UPDATE** Just received another shipment on 3/7/12; pics on Page 13.

PorscheGuy997
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Since I`m not sure whether the source through which I obtained this wants to be named, he will remain nameless for now.

Ah, no worries...

For those curious about M101, it is one of those interesting compounds that gets the job done. 1500 grit sanding marks are no match for M101 and a wool pad. While that can be achieved with most compounds, M101 can achieve this at less than 1200 rpm. It also takes 1/4 of the time to do the same work of M105. Or, you can match it with a DA MF pad and knock out the same marks with ease. As Kevin calls it, "It`s like they took M105 and boiled it down."

My likes:

- It`s super concentrated; a little goes a really long ways

- It cuts quick and leaves a finish similar to M105.

- Good luck trying to get it to fill. I smeared it on some sanding marks and got absolutely no filling at all.

- If you happen to get a little splatter, it will wipe off and not stain the surface, even plastic.

- Less is more. If you reapply M101 to a MF pad after each section, I tend to get less cut. After each section, it`s best to blow out the pad with compressed air and spritz the pad with a bit of water.

My dislikes:

- There is some dusting.

If you don`t like M105 because it has a short work time and dusts a little, this is not the compound for you. However, if you do not have the time to constantly go back over severe scratches that just have to be removed, this is the compound for you.

Garry Dean
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Charlie, I just want to say thank you for hooking me up. I have a large wet sanding job this week that this, Im sure, will come in handy with.

Im sure you all expect some video so I will be sure to make that happen.

Charlie says that my package should arrive Wednesday. Thats actually perfect. I will need it on Thursday.

I also still have some of the original M105 that I will also be comparing it to. It should be interesting to see all 3, M105v1, M105 d/a version, and M101, side by side.

David Fermani
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Holy crap. You got it! That`s awsome. You gotta give me a sample. :pray: I practically begged my Meg`s person for some of this, but had no luck.

Kevin Brown
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
If you paid $250 or less for it... it was worth it. You will forever be spoiled.

Don`t buy into: "It dries quickly.", or, "It has a very short work cycle." Not an accurate assessment.

Instead, what`s really happening is the abrasive particles are sticking to the buffing pad. So, rather than adding more and more M101, simply mist the pad or panel with water to pull or loosen the abrasives from the pad and back onto the paint surface.

Said in my whiniest tone: "It`s dusty." Yes, but only because there is so much abrasive in M101. If you think about "dust" in the realm of paint polishing, the dust is either abraded paint residue, or abrasive particles from the compound. To create less dust, use less compound.

This is why I use M101 primarily with small-diameter pads. The abrasives stick to the pad, I mist the pad or panel with water, and continue to polish until the pad is relatively free of particles. At this point, deem the "cycle" to be done.

The other thing you can do with great success is to prime with M101, add a bit now and then while you use M105 in tandem with M101. In other words, use M105 as your primary compound, but use the M101 as a "steroid" or "nitrous burst" of sorts.

There is currently NOTHING on the market that will compete with the SPEED or LEVELING POWER of M101 and a Meguiar`s DA Microfiber Cutting Disc. This is especially true if you use a backing plate that fully supports the entire diameter (http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/DM-COMBO-PK1) of the DA Microfiber Disc.

M101 will allow you to eliminate sanding marks by hand with ease.

There is no compound on the market that can cut like M101, yet leave the surface as scour-free. :rockon1:

I don`t even have a gallon of the stuff! Dang! :hurt:

Kevin Brown
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Holy crap. You got it! That`s awsome. You gotta give me a sample. :pray: I practically begged my Meg`s person for some of this, but had no luck.

You apparently didn`t use the right guy.

David Fermani
01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Kevin - Can you add a dot of D300 to M101 to reduce the dusting??

Kevin Brown
01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Kevin - Can you add a dot of D300 to M101 to reduce the dusting??

Sure.

Best thing is to use the M101 with small pads when rotary polishing.

Cut the heaviest defects with M101 first and water spritzing to extend work time and increase cut.

Then follow up with DA polishing.

3" discs (if that`s all you need), or 5" DA Microfiber Discs (for large areas) are best.

Prime with a bit of M101, apply, then mist, apply, then add M105 or D300 and bursts of M101 as needed.

Bam. Done.

C. Charles Hahn
01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Ah, no worries...

For those curious about M101, it is one of those interesting compounds that gets the job done. 1500 grit sanding marks are no match for M101 and a wool pad. While that can be achieved with most compounds, M101 can achieve this at less than 1200 rpm. It also takes 1/4 of the time to do the same work of M105. Or, you can match it with a DA MF pad and knock out the same marks with ease. As Kevin calls it, "It`s like they took M105 and boiled it down."

My likes:

- It`s super concentrated; a little goes a really long ways

- It cuts quick and leaves a finish similar to M105.

- Good luck trying to get it to fill. I smeared it on some sanding marks and got absolutely no filling at all.

- If you happen to get a little splatter, it will wipe off and not stain the surface, even plastic.

- Less is more. If you reapply M101 to a MF pad after each section, I tend to get less cut. After each section, it`s best to blow out the pad with compressed air and spritz the pad with a bit of water.

My dislikes:

- There is some dusting.

If you don`t like M105 because it has a short work time and dusts a little, this is not the compound for you. However, if you do not have the time to constantly go back over severe scratches that just have to be removed, this is the compound for you.

Awesome, Chris. Thank you again!

Charlie, I just want to say thank you for hooking me up. I have a large wet sanding job this week that this, Im sure, will come in handy with.

Im sure you all expect some video so I will be sure to make that happen.

Charlie says that my package should arrive Wednesday. Thats actually perfect. I will need it on Thursday.

I also still have some of the original M105 that I will also be comparing it to. It should be interesting to see all 3, M105v1, M105 d/a version, and M101, side by side.

No problem, Garry, I`m sure you`ll put it to good use! Incidentally that last photo is of the bottles that are on their way to you. UPS says everything is on schedule for Wednesday still.

You`ll definitely be getting some -- I sent you an email a few days ago about it, but you were busy moving so you probably haven`t seen it yet.

If you paid $250 or less for it... it was worth it. You will forever be spoiled.

Don`t buy into: "It dries quickly.", or, "It has a very short work cycle." Not an accurate assessment.

Instead, what`s really happening is the abrasive particles are sticking to the buffing pad. So, rather than adding more and more M101, simply mist the pad or panel with water to pull or loosen the abrasives from the pad and back onto the paint surface.

Said in my whiniest tone: "It`s dusty." Yes, but only because there is so much abrasive in M101. If you think about "dust" in the realm of paint polishing, the dust is either abraded paint residue, or abrasive particles from the compound. To create less dust, use less compound.

This is why I use M101 primarily with small-diameter pads. The abrasives stick to the pad, I mist the pad or panel with water, and continue to polish until the pad is relatively free of particles. At this point, deem the "cycle" to be done.

The other thing you can do with great success is to prime with M101, add a bit now and then while you use M105 in tandem with M101. In other words, use M105 as your primary compound, but use the M101 as a "steroid" or "nitrous burst" of sorts.

There is currently NOTHING on the market that will compete with the SPEED or LEVELING POWER of M101 and a Meguiar`s DA Microfiber Cutting Disc. This is especially true if you use a backing plate that fully supports the entire diameter (http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/DM-COMBO-PK1) of the DA Microfiber Disc.

M101 will allow you to eliminate sanding marks by hand with ease.

There is no compound on the market that can cut like M101, yet leave the surface as scour-free. :rockon1:

I don`t even have a gallon of the stuff! Dang! :hurt:

Thanks for the tips, Kevin; don`t be surprised if you get a phone call from me at some point for more advice as well :)

David Fermani
01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Wow. This stuff is God`s gift to paint correction....

David Fermani
01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
A

You`ll definitely be getting some -- I sent you an email a few days ago about it, but you were busy moving so you probably haven`t seen it yet.

Thanks belatedly. I did miss that e-mail. What addy did you send it to?

Edit: Got it. I haven`t been checking my MDAD lately. Sorry. I`ll reply to it asap.

darkonion
01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Oooo. This sounds cool. I am curious to see how M101 works.

So... it seems like the consensus so far is that you can use M101 with a DA, even though it doesn`t say on the instructions.

I would be interested in trying a little M101. Any advice on who/where to secure a small sample??

David Fermani
01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I would be interested in trying a little M101. Any advice on who/where to secure a small sample??

http://www.autopia.org/forum/good-deals/139030-fs-m101-quarts.html#post1477564

gmblack3
01-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Joey and I used M101 yesterday on a 2010 red vette that has some swirls and nasty RIDS. Following Kevin Browns always excellent tips (priming 5" MF with a little M101, water spritz assist, keep pad very clean and then adding M105 or D300) removing 90-95% of the RIDS and leaving a finish that will just require a quick going over with M205. Normally I would be using surbuf/M105 that would require a middle step prior to final polishing.

Here is what Joey and I are dealing with:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4504/p1030139o.jpg

Barry Theal
01-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Joey and I used M101 yesterday on a 2010 red vette that has some swirls and nasty RIDS. Following Kevin Browns always excellent tips (priming 5" MF with a little M101, water spritz assist, keep pad very clean and then adding M105 or D300) removing 90-95% of the RIDS and leaving a finish that will just require a quick going over with M205. Normally I would be using surbuf/M105 that would require a middle step prior to final polishing.

Here is what Joey and I are dealing with:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4504/p1030139o.jpg

What no after shots there bud? Are you serious. Talk about putting it in our butt, and not having the common courtesy to give us a reach around...:rofl: