PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of products- Temperature

Suki22
01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey guys....been a while since posting....I saw threads addressing shelf life and extreme temperature changes. I see where they talk about temp not below 40 degrees but what about on the high side. Are products stored in temperatures of 82 to 84 degrees too hot?

Thanks.............

Ron Ketcham
01-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Keep the caps tight and those temps are not too hot.

Most compounds, polishes, waxes and sealants have a normal shelf life of two years, may go to 3 with some.

Grumpy

Accumulator
01-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Keep the caps tight and those temps are not too hot.

Most compounds, polishes, waxes and sealants have a normal shelf life of two years, may go to 3 with some.

Grumpy

Might go a decade or more, but that`s perhaps another of my unusualy fortunate experiences.

The vast majority of my stuff is at least five-ten years old, and I have stuff from the `80s that still works just like new.

High temps seem to kill some of my QDs, but that`s about the only problem I can think of.

Dan
01-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Yep, I have stuff that is over ten years old (liquid) and it is still fine. Key is STABLE temperatures and cooler is better. Pastes can last indefinitely if sealed well.

David Fermani
01-02-2012, 05:18 PM
The movers put all my garage detailing supplies back into my garage here in Michigan. They sat in 30 degree temps for over a week before I could move them into the house. I`m afraid to even open up the boxes..:yell:

C. Charles Hahn
01-02-2012, 05:25 PM
The movers put all my garage detailing supplies back into my garage here in Michigan. They sat in 30 degree temps for over a week before I could move them into the house. I`m afraid to even open up the boxes..:yell:

Ouch. Hope you didn`t lose anything too valuable or hard to replace!

Then again, most of my stuff stays in the garage year-round in ~40* temps and I`ve never lost anything. Freezing in transit is another story. :yell:

David Fermani
01-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Ouch. Hope you didn`t lose anything too valuable or hard to replace!

This move paled in comparison to my move down to FL where I ended up collecting an insurance check for over $12,000 for all the stuff that the movers damaged.

Brad B
01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
In winter I keep my garage heated, but only to around 50 degrees when I am not working in it. I keep things organized in bins and when the cool weather comes bring in waxes and lotions and things that tend to separate. This has kept things safe for many years.

Accumulator
01-03-2012, 12:18 PM
In winter I keep my garage heated, but only to around 50 degrees when I am not working in it. I keep things organized in bins and when the cool weather comes bring in waxes and lotions and things that tend to separate. This has kept things safe for many years.

I let my shop get a bit cooler than that, and I do suspect that the temps in some areas (gee, like the storage room :o ) get pretty chilly (and awfully warm in the summer). Heating and cooling the shop costs enough as it is and any product loss would be cheap compared to running the HVAC more than I do.

I should probably bring some stuff inside the house (and I do have my 476S and M16 stashes inside), but...eh, I`m never gonna do it. Part of the idea behind the shop was to keep all the automotive stuff in its own building.

Lowejackson
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
I keep most of my products in a unheated outhouse. It seems the only product which did not like such a regime was a bottle of Menz Power Gloss. Aside from not having enough room elsewhere to store everything I would expect most LSP`s to be able to cope with the cold and a bit of heat. Polishes are now keep inside the house.

Ben@3D
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Might go a decade or more, but that`s perhaps another of my unusualy fortunate experiences.

The vast majority of my stuff is at least five-ten years old, and I have stuff from the `80s that still works just like new.

The vast majority of stuff from the 80`s still work. (Boom box, alarm clock, XT 8088 pc, atari 2600, polishes, etc) Things were made differently back then.

With today`s biodegradable and voc compliant products, the shelf life of car care products isnt quite as long.

Accumulator
01-05-2012, 02:42 PM
The vast majority of stuff from the 80`s still work. (Boom box, alarm clock, XT 8088 pc, polishes, etc) Things were made differently back then.

With today`s biodegradable and voc compliant products, the shelf life of car care products isnt quite as long.

Oh, just get me going on how swell things used to be made back in the day! Heh heh, my place is like a time capsule, in part for that very reason. Even factors in with regard to some of my vehicles.

But that`s worth noting about the pre/post-VOC stuff, I`ll have to keep an eye peeled for any such diffs. I have pre/post bottles of 845 sitting side-by-side and so far I haven`t noticed anything.

Gee, if today`s products turn out to have short shelf-lives I`ll be ticked, takes me many years to go through most things.

Lonnie
01-08-2012, 09:01 PM
It`s still a wise idea to bring your car-care chemicals into a heated or semi-controlled area from an unheated garage where it will be below freezing (32°F) for any length of time.

The only product I know of that REALLY goes bad is Aerospace 303 Protectant. If it freezes, it seems to develop a bad body odor-type smell. This observation is from others experience within this forum, BUT I did notice this "odor phenomenon" when I purchased some from a local RV dealer. I returned it and pointed this out to the manager, had him smell it, and obviously he said it wasn`t that bad. Needless to say, it went back into inventory on the shelf. Now I sniff the bottles before I purchase them locally. Yes, it looks weird, but it`s my personal "quality control" check.

On the other hand, carnauba waxes like to be cool, but not cold. There are many car-care affectionados who keep there high-end carnauba waxes in mini-`fridges in the garage or shop during warmer weather. As any well-read or long-time Autopian knows, you can spend (ALOT!) more on the wax that what the mini-`fridge is worth.

HappyDestiny
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Grumpy, Does Valugard still make the finishing wax in the 16oz bottle? I got a couple bottles that curddled. (means I`m not waxing enough!!!!) The product is so soft and spongey! If not, got any recommendations for a similar look and feel?

thanks very much