PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP and advice

robtrevino
01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
So it all started when I started seeing these weird spots on my paint:

imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/MlydB)

After calling the dealer and having them said they`d never seen it before, I went to the forums and eventually most people suggested they were water spots.

I eventually took the PC with a medium pad and some Wolfgang Swirl Remover.

I tested it on a small spot and it seemed to remove the spots. When I removed the PC, I noticed I kinda burnt the paint.

Please see this image:

imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com/Sn8t3)

How do I correct this? Will I have to repaint? I`m afraid to do anything anymore. I`d used the PC and the swirl remover in the past and had never had this problems. Confidence is now down the drain.

Accumulator
01-02-2012, 02:50 PM
robtrevino- Yikes, it does look like you killed the clear (and even the basecoat) in that area! It`s always hard to diagnose stuff over the internet, but yeah it does look like you`ll need to have that repainted.

I`m a little surprised that you inflicted such severe damage just removing waterspots. I`d guess that you need to check your work more frequently, keep the polisher moving, and give special consideration to areas where the paint might be thin and/or your polisher might behave more aggressively than normal (the edge of a panel satisfies both of those). And don`t do anything more aggressive than you really need to do.

To help figure out what`s needed, you might oughta try some experimenting using a "test spot". Like, for the waterspots, you could see what happens if you use your Swirl Remover by hand with a MF; this will give you clues about what`s required.

robtrevino
01-03-2012, 10:28 PM
robtrevino- Yikes, it does look like you killed the clear (and even the basecoat) in that area! It`s always hard to diagnose stuff over the internet, but yeah it does look like you`ll need to have that repainted.

I`m a little surprised that you inflicted such severe damage just removing waterspots. I`d guess that you need to check your work more frequently, keep the polisher moving, and give special consideration to areas where the paint might be thin and/or your polisher might behave more aggressively than normal (the edge of a panel satisfies both of those). And don`t do anything more aggressive than you really need to do.

To help figure out what`s needed, you might oughta try some experimenting using a "test spot". Like, for the waterspots, you could see what happens if you use your Swirl Remover by hand with a MF; this will give you clues about what`s required.

Thanks,

I`m gonna have to get it professionally repainted. It turns out they weren`t water spots. It`s a a problem with the clear coat, manufacturer`s defect, at least that`s what the guy at the shop told me. This explains why it took such a long time for the polisher to take out the spots, I was actually eating through the clear. I`ve learned a valuable (yet expensive) lesson though. :(