PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Towels - Glass

Pages : [1] 2 3

vegan2
01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I`m learning a lot about detailing from posting here lately. One thing is that all microfiber towels are not the same - for example, those sold by Costco are not high quality - but, one gets what one pays for.

Anyway, I was searching around here and with google - ran across a 6 Pack Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel for $46.94 ($7.82 per towel). Is this an excellent glass towel for the price? Is the noted price per towel about what one has to pay for high quality?

It appears that microfiber drying towels can go for $15.00 or more.

Is there a microfiber glass and drying towel brand that is considered the best and the best price or is price - the most expensive the true factor to be used to assess quality? I`m a auto detail enthusiast, not a pro.

Any input will be appreciated.

tom p.
01-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Vegan, there have been a lot of recent discussions around MF and cleaning glass. Many of us find that the MF material leaves some sort of very fine lint that you see in direct sunlight. I label this stuff nano-lint :) Quite annoying.

I`ve got many brands of glass cleaning towels including Cobra. I`m not certain they`re the best tool for attaining perfect glass.

vegan2
01-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks. Well, nano-lint (in sunlight) exactly describes the issue that I`m attempting to address - a used the Costco MF`s recently and nano-lint was the outcome - which makes me a little crazy.

Do you know of a good alternative to eliminate nano-lint?

hacadacalopolis
01-01-2012, 03:13 PM
You know i have been dealing with this issue as well, as it seems whenever i try to buff off cleaner residue from glass cleaner with microfiber

it loves to lint into the pores. New microfiber tended not to.

However what i do is simply clean the glass then go over with another simple bath towel or hand towel and the results are perfect see through glass:headbang:

dschribs
01-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Obviously not MF, but I`ll be trying these in the Spring.

Lint Free Towels, 150 Count - Interior Detailing - Car Care - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/lint+free+towels%2C+150+count.do?sortby=ourPicks)

TLMitchell
01-01-2012, 03:55 PM
I`ve tried a variety of MF on glass and had the best results with some of the less expensive ones with very low nap. Cobra mangoes aren`t bad for that purpose, still occasionally find just a bit of linting. I`ve tried dedicated MF glass towels and find most I`ve tried get somewhat grabby when buffing the glass and they tend to bunch up and I end up leaving greasy paw prints on the glass. MF gloves help.

I like the thin MF covers that come on the Stoner`s and similar corner tools with a handle. Still, you need a bit of a final buff for spotless glass. I had a couple of Meg`s WW Water Magnets laying around that I really didn`t like much for drying. I cut one of `em up into smaller sizes and really like them for that final buff.

Although I usually spray whatever cleaner I use on a MF for the first pass, on really cruddy glass I spray it on directly and use blue, paper shop towels for cleaning. Work well but leave quite a bit of residue to chase down.

I`m convinced there`s no best product of technique for cleaning glass. Results are all about a thorough inspection with light shining directly through the glass so your final buff gets every last corner, streak and bit of residue. YMMV.

TL

tom p.
01-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Do you know of a good alternative to eliminate nano-lint?

Yes, stop using MF on glass :)

Mr. Vegan, take a look thru this thread when you have a few minutes. I`ve had some good success with it: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/138056-genuine-t-bar-water-blade.html#post1466835

FWIW, I bought some crappy white cotton towels from W0Wmart and am having good luck with them. Go figure.

wascallyrabbit
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
i`ve been using the microfibertech.com glass towels and haven`t really noticed any linting so far. i do drive directly into the sun on the way home. griots lint free towels (p/n 14910) are also pretty nice.

vegan2
01-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Obviously not MF, but I`ll be trying these in the Spring.

Lint Free Towels, 150 Count - Interior Detailing - Car Care - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/lint+free+towels%2C+150+count.do?sortby=ourPicks)

I`m had some good luck with Griot`s - thinking also about this product....Micro Fiber Window Kit - Interior Detailing - Car Care - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/micro+fiber+window+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks) - glass cleaning and three microfiber towels, but on the other hand perhaps the 150 lint-free towels (I doubt that they are actually towels - look more like a throw-away item, at least not reusable for long or perhaps at all) - have be the better route to go.

Now, the nano-lint needs to disappear and it needs to be picked up by the towel not just displaced from the window - two different jobs, one towel or whatever. I just tried a Swiffer - it actually picked up most of the nano-lint (90%), but not all of it.

vegan2
01-01-2012, 06:32 PM
tom p - interesting product.

Actually, I blow off water with my compressor - works pretty well, especially on wheels.

vegan2
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I problem with even trying the microfibertech.com route - shipping is $7.95 minimum - I hate paying that especially to try a $9.95 towel!

Thanks for chiming in on 14910 - free shipping over $25 at Griots, plus no tax (yet)!

wascallyrabbit
01-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I problem with even trying the microfibertech.com route - shipping is $7.95 minimum - I hate paying that especially to try a $9.95 towel!

the glass towels are sold in packs of 10. if your ordering other towels from them they might give you a sample if you ask.

Idz21
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
So what was the verdict here? I`ve always used microfiber on my windows and have only seen this nano-lint after a few drives. I think it`s more nano-dust that is picked up while driving which adheres to the paint & glass. My procedure is to wash, dry, then finish the glass with Sprayway & a microfiber towel. Autogeek used to sell these yellow with black border glass towels, which I found to have been best for this job.

dschribs - how has your experience been with Griot`s 150 disposable towel pack?

David Fermani
05-05-2013, 07:59 AM
I avoid MF for glass unless it`s Waffle Weave (way more absorbent). I stick to surgical huck or regular ole fashion cotton. Just make sure to keep your glass towels separate from the rest and wash separately too. Cross contamination reaps havoc.

Alfisti
05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
I only use small MF WW towels on glass. Works better than anything else Ive tried.

I bought a heap from eBay a while ago. They were for cleaning bowling balls. Perfect size, never lint, and cuts through window film very well.