PDA

View Full Version : Correcting a BMW M6 Carbon Fiber Roof TODAY... NEED HELP ASAP!

Nopstnz8
01-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Ok so I`m detailing my dad`s 2008 BMW M6 and so far correction has been going GREAT with my Griot`s DA polisher using 4" LC CCS pads. Now the only area of concern is the carbon fiber roof which has your typical wash induced marring and swirls (it sadly became a victim of the "automatic swirl wash" =(

With that being said, I know I probably won`t be able to get it flawless, but I`m looking for a plan of attack because if I go too deep, it could be too late and there goes a $3000 roof! :shocked

I`ve read some people have had good results using M205 on a white LC CCS pad, but I feel this will be harder clear coat since the rest of the car is as hard as bricks. Lol. I`m scared to try orange because from a few click and brag threads, I`ve read there isn`t a ton of clear coat above the carbon fiber (Like one thread I saw there were only 49 microns of clear :shocked ). Sadly, being a college student I can`t afford a paint meter, so I`ve just been using common sense on everything and trying not to go EXTREMELY aggressive on everything for obvious reasons except for absolutely necessary areas I know have a ton of paint (metal panels).

I also have almost all the Menzerna Polishes, which I`d prefer to use over M205 since they produce better results, and are easier to use. Would SIP on a white pad, probably speed 4 on the Griots DA, be a good place to start? I`m just really stuck where to start with this being such a delicate area per say since I don`t want to remove too much clear, but at the same time get the best results possible, then probably use PO85RD on black, and finally KAIO for fillers if I have to.

Any help would be appreciated as I`m going back to school Monday and was hoping to finish everything today. Thanks.

justin30513
01-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Start light and work your way to a more aggressive combo if needed. I`ve done these before and I treat them like I do paint. Most have been soft and easy to correct.

hacadacalopolis
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Ive seen carbon fiber on cars, but rarely have i seen it trashed with scratches. It can be burned just like a GELCOAT, but with resin saturated coatings, they are harder to burn through

Most carbon fiber has casting resin applied to achieve its gloss- usually polyester or epoxy (polyester based resin will tend to yellow)

I have never heard of clear coating carbon fiber...

This is a very hard surface(epoxy is more flexible) IF all you have is swirls and light scratches I would agree to start light by using polishes.

Think about the tables you usually see at resturaunts they usually are coated with an epoxy decorative finish. "Probably One of the best things to practice on." LOTS of them are scored and extremely scratched up. Everytime i see one that has been polished it almost looks like 3m super duty was used on it.(because of the heavy swirling & circling)