PDA

View Full Version : old skool detailer but new here

Spec-vroom
03-06-2006, 02:47 AM
Hi guys i stumbled across your site here by accident and was surprised buy some the things or ideas you all have. The problem is my nissan.....fast as all hell but the paint is bad <to me anyway> i did 6 years detail work but that was in my teens to mid twentys and like a moron i let a "DETAILER" <thats what he called himself> touch my car....bad idea...paint is dull...swirl marks...scratches, its a nightmare. So here i am in hopes to jog my brain on how to awake a old talent i use to have and hopes that u guys can help

peace

maximv1
03-06-2006, 06:33 AM
welcome, you have come to the right place. lots of great advice and help available. enjoy.

BLUELINE 1
03-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Welcome to DC. You`ve come to the right place. Lots of great people and tons of knowledge. Enjoy your stay.

cwcad
03-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Welcome to DC!!

Read, learn, and enjoy!!

mgm2003
03-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Welcome to DC. You`ll enjoy this place!

Do you plan to detail by hand or by machine?

crobinso
03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi guys i stumbled across your site here by accident and was surprised buy some the things or ideas you all have. The problem is my nissan.....fast as all hell but the paint is bad <to me anyway> i did 6 years detail work but that was in my teens to mid twentys and like a moron i let a "DETAILER" <thats what he called himself> touch my car....bad idea...paint is dull...swirl marks...scratches, its a nightmare. So here i am in hopes to jog my brain on how to awake a old talent i use to have and hopes that u guys can help

peace

How old are you now? "Old school" techniques do not apply to today`s finishes. Perhaps the best thing for you to do is to read, read, read, the posts in this forum to learn how it`s done today. Oh, and ask all the questions you want. That`s how I learned how to keep my then-new 2004 Grand Marquis clean.

Like you, I went to a man who called himself a detailer. He used a rotary on my 1988 Grand Marquis (this was back in 1998 or so). Although the flat surfaces came out shiny, even with paint that suffered from clearcoat failure, he damaged my chrome trim and burned the edges of my paint with that rotary. I was pissed, but the car was old and needed a new paint job anyway. I would never trust this man with a new car.

Of all of the detailing forums to stumble upon, I feel that you`ve stumbled upon the best! I`m subscribed to two forums, and everyone here knows about the other one I`m talking about, but I find myself returning to DC 10 times as often because of the comaraderie and fellowship that the guys and gals share with me and with each other. THIS IS A GREAT PLACE to learn new techniques and new technology for keeping your ride glistening.

Charles
Welcome Aboard!

Spec-vroom
03-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the welcome currently in 32 and back then i was detailing all metal cars like 77 mustangs, pintos etc with my father i started when i was 10. I now have a 03 nissan sentra se-r spec v,modified to 250 hp. I have never heard of using clay to detail a car lol when i saw that im like these guys r crazy but i saw the results. But anyhoo i need guidence here so hopefully u can all help me

thanks

Don Meschter
03-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome to DC, Visit often, read, read and read some more. You will learn of products to use and procedures to follow to clean up that Nissan, so that not only fast but again looks good. Enjoy the frequent visits.

Don

Beemerboy
03-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Welcome from Sonoma County CA

I`m ole school as well and I love this site...its helped greatly for me, over the last few years

audiboy
03-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Welcome to DC. Like the others said, it`s very important to read as much as you can on here if you want to learn.