PDA

View Full Version : Huge blotches disappeared

imported_pdsterns
12-23-2011, 08:55 PM
I was evaluating some huge blotches, about 2 inches by 2 inches on a red carrera last week and determined that it was under the clear after hitting it with the DA and some fine polish and looking at it under 10x magnification. I decided it was some sort of paint defect and not much I could do about it. I saw the car today and the blotches were almost completely gone. What the heck happened? He did not have it refinished and nobody touched it, totally amazing. Does anybody have any ideas?

Ron Ketcham
12-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes, paint is porus, it will absorb some moisture, depends on the density of the clear or single stage.

Red shows the moisture entrapment more than any other color.

The blotches were water/moisture entraped in the paint, over a little time, it evaporated from the paint film.

Next time, saturate the area with rubbing alcohol, 70%, 90%, whatever, do not dilute with water.

Let it set for a minute or so (the alcolhol will work as a drying agent) and then apply gentle heat, use a hair dryer, just don`t get it "hot`, keep the warm air moving over the area.

The "blotch" should go away while you are doing this.

Grumpy

imported_pdsterns
12-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Ron, very interesting, I neglected to say the car had been covered and outside for a few weeks prior to seeing the blotches. It then sat in a warm shop for a few days while having its engine replaced. The blotches disappeared after it went home to a normal outside NJ environment. The blotches were on the sun facing side of the car.

Ron Ketcham
12-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Cover held moisture to the surface.

Once outside and some sun hit it, moisture evaporated.

In your great state, Elizabeth are the area ports for Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, etc.

Hyundia`s main paint engineer out of Fountain Valley, Ca called me to meet him at that port several years ago to look at a very expenisve issue they were having.

New cars, removed the white transit wrap and most of the dark colored ones were exhibiting large, irregular "cloudy blotches`.

The port sub-contractor was making a fortune, repainting all the panels, 50 - 60 cars a day.

Took a look, sent the local port rep to the drug store to get me some IPA, wet down the areas on a car, applied the heat gun and ------"wall-a-a" , no more blotches.

I have done this at other ports around the world, same issue, just different manufactuers.

Grumpy

imported_pdsterns
12-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Cover held moisture to the surface.

Once outside and some sun hit it, moisture evaporated.

In your great state, Elizabeth are the area ports for Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, etc.

Hyundia`s main paint engineer out of Fountain Valley, Ca called me to meet him at that port several years ago to look at a very expenisve issue they were having.

New cars, removed the white transit wrap and most of the dark colored ones were exhibiting large, irregular "cloudy blotches`.

The port sub-contractor was making a fortune, repainting all the panels, 50 - 60 cars a day.

Took a look, sent the local port rep to the drug store to get me some IPA, wet down the areas on a car, applied the heat gun and ------"wall-a-a" , no more blotches.

I have done this at other ports around the world, same issue, just different manufactuers.

Grumpy

Who Knew? I really thought it was a hopeless situation as the clouding was under the clear. I heard years ago that car covers could cause problems like this but never heard about making it "go away"

Pic of problem below

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=747&c=3