PDA

View Full Version : New Car Prep?

Goldfever
12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I ordered a new car a few weeks ago and it should be coming in within the next week. Therefor I am looking for some advice on the first detail. My plan so far is as follows:

Wash

Clay

Wash Again

Pre Wax Cleaner or Light Polish (Is this needed?)

Sealent

Is this a good plan for a daily driver? Also is there a point of using a pre-wax cleanser or light polish on a brand new car? Obviously if the car has defects in the pain then polish may be called for but otherwise is there any point?

Accumulator
12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Goldfever- That`s a good plan if you want to do the clay instead of a chemical decontamination (which I prefer).

Since I consider the clay to be an imperfect means of cleaning/decontaminating the paint, the use of a paint cleaner is indeed something that I`d probably do. Something like KAIO or ZAIO would also provide a good base for your sealant. Doesn`t take long, so it shouldn`t make things all that tougher.

pwaug
12-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Don`t let the dealer touch it- no wash, wax etc. You might even ask to be present when they remove the protective sheets.

Goldfever
12-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Goldfever- That`s a good plan if you want to do the clay instead of a chemical decontamination (which I prefer).

Since I consider the clay to be an imperfect means of cleaning/decontaminating the paint, the use of a paint cleaner is indeed something that I`d probably do. Something like KAIO or ZAIO would also provide a good base for your sealant. Doesn`t take long, so it shouldn`t make things all that tougher.

I never thought about using KAIO before the sealant which is Blackfire Wet Diamond. I was going to use it on all the glass and clear plastic (headlights & taillights) but did not think to put it on before the sealant. You don`t think a pre-wax cleaner and KAIO would be redundant?

Goldfever
12-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Don`t let the dealer touch it- no wash, wax etc. You might even ask to be present when they remove the protective sheets.

Thanks for the heads up! I have already informed the sales team multiple times that I will refuse delivery if it is washed. I have also requested that the plastic stay on till I get there.

Thomas Dekany
12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
As per Accum. use a pre wax cleaner like Kaio or Zaio. Top it with your sealant

Accumulator
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
I never thought about using KAIO before the sealant which is Blackfire Wet Diamond. I was going to use it on all the glass and clear plastic (headlights & taillights) but did not think to put it on before the sealant. You don`t think a pre-wax cleaner and KAIO would be redundant?

Sorry, I was unclear. My idea is to use the AIO *as* the pre-wax cleaner.

You mentioned using KAIO on other parts, note that it won`t last long at all by itself, so maybe you oughta put the BFWD over top of it on those too.