PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Glue Just Won`t Come Off!

bschaef95
12-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I have a real problem with some glue that is on my paint. My car is black, and the previous owner had installed a bug shield on the hood. I ripped it of without considering the consequences... So now I have a white glue spot on my hood that just won`t come off. Any product suggestions that won`t harm my paint? Thanks guys!

Richard Grasa
12-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Is the glue flexible at all or is it rock hard? Goo-gone works pretty well for glue that`s not rock hard and won`t hurt the paint.

C. Charles Hahn
12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
If the Goo-Gone doesn`t do the trick, go for 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Usually bug shields are just held on with double-sided trim tape, that adhesive isn`t too hard to remove.

Ron Ketcham
12-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Did I read a "white spot"?

Perhaps it might be a good idea to take some sort of magnifier and look closely before doing anything.

May be the paint is gone, most OEM blacks use a white primer.

Grumpy

rdorman
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
As mentioned, goo-gone, 3m adhesive remover, or even lacquer in that order. Do check to make sure the paint is not gone as suggested. If it is double sided tape, heating it with a hair drying can help. If you do get so far as the lacquer thinner, don`t let it dwell and clean area once done.

sirduncan773
12-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Goof Off Professional Strength has removed everything from glue to tire rubber from track cars for me. Available at Home Depot and DON`T use a colored towel (the color will rub into the paint), a white terry will do the trick.

Be sure to wear gloves though, it will dry out your skin like no other.

togwt
12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
OP take action on post #4 before you use any solvents...