PDA

View Full Version : How Deep Is This Scratch?

UBERKLEEN
12-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi all,

I was over at my girlfriend`s brother`s house tonight. On my way out, I took a picture of his door panel. He recently graduated from college and his car (Toyota Camry) has seen its fair share of wear and tear. This particular photo is of a scratch starting from the front passenger fender, all the way to the rear of the rear door. You can definitely feel the groove when you run your finger over the scratch and I am afraid it might be too deep to repair and will need respraying.

Here is the picture, let me know what you think.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Kastor205/Patrick.jpg

Thank you all!

imported_tuffluck
12-16-2011, 12:35 AM
fingernail means through the clear for sure. touch up + wet-sand if you know what you`re doing. if you plan for a respray regardless, good time to learn the wet-sand too.

dajonx
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Would a product like Dr Color Chip be able to fix that kind of scratch?

Richard Grasa
03-08-2012, 02:57 PM
From the pic it looks like it`s all the way down into the primer. Metallic paint is very hard to match when doing a spot repair, so the best bet would def be a respray if it`s in the budget. If cost is a concern you could go with something like Dr. Colorchip but you may be able to still see where the scratch was if you can`t get the metallic to match exactly.

C. Charles Hahn
03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Agreed, that`s down to at least the primer, if not down to bare metal in the deepest part of the scratch.

dajonx
03-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Hmm... Maybe I don`t have the same kind of scratch then. I`ll definitely have to post a picture of it, but since I`m at work I`ll just try to describe it to you guys. My apologies for highjacking this thread...

I have a 2006 Acura TL with Nighthawk Black Pearl. I have scratches where my fingernail can feel the scratch, but I don`t think it`s to the primer. The scratch looks white. That can`t be to the primer level, right? If I used Dr. Color Chip on it, would I also need to apply clear coat to it?

Thank you!