PDA

View Full Version : Auto body orange peel

Pages : [1] 2

duke4ever
12-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Earlier this year I had my bumper cover replaced and painted by a body shop. For the first few I knew the paint had to cure, I never experienced a repaint before I didn`t really know what to expect although this is going to sound stupid posting it on here :). I`d wash the car and clay and etc... as normal, however I gave the bumper a long hard look and realized it has orange peel from the body shop painting. Problem is this was done about 9-10 months ago and I honestly haven`t had the time to notice it that in-depth. As we have bad winters, and wet weathers here in PA.

My question is, would it be appropriate to go to the body shop and bring this up to him being it`s so long ago or am I SOL and expected to try to buff it out myself?

Thanks guys!

Ron Ketcham
12-10-2011, 08:04 PM
One never knows when they are really SOL.

Suggest you return to the shop and voice your concern.

Maybe they will do the right thing and maybe not.

No matter what the answer is, such as "we will redo this" or " for XXX$ we will correct this issue.

Then, that is when you ask them to explain to your what the process they are going to use to make it right.

If, they should reply that they are going to "buff it out", right then ask them what is the exact process they will do.

Most likely they will "color or wet sand" the fascia and then buff it.

Not likely they will just "buff it".

The sanding is required in order to "even out the orange peel" before buffing and polishing to a gloss.

Depending on how "high is the orange peel", a simple compounding and polishing may make it match the other finishes on your vehicle. If condition is one that has a "high dry orange peel", the sanding is the first step, followed by the compounding and polishing of the surface.

It doesn`t hurt to ask, to nicely confront them and ask these questions.

Let us know how it turns out.

Grumpy

duke4ever
12-10-2011, 08:16 PM
This was one of those "ah ha" moments. I just always brushed it to the side that it looked a little different but didn`t bother to think about it. Then one day like I said I really took to paying attention and thought ahhh ha this is orange peel. I will ask him just to see; wouldn`t hurt to stop by.

C. Charles Hahn
12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Ditto what Ron said... all you can do is see what they say, and go from there when it comes to finding a solution.

Hard to say what that solution will be without seeing exactly what you`re dealing with, but keep in mind many body shops aren`t the most skilled when it comes to buffing out a finish, so you might be better off seeking the services of a detailer instead of letting the body shop hack away on it.

duke4ever
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
That is an interesting piece of advice Shiny, I guess I was under the incorrect assumption that a body shop would be good at finishes

C. Charles Hahn
12-10-2011, 08:59 PM
That is an interesting piece of advice Shiny, I guess I was under the incorrect assumption that a body shop would be good at finishes

Heh.... do a little reading around here on the forum if you really want to know the type of bad experiences folks have had with body shops and dealerships buffing finishes out:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/62012-why-i-hate-dealership-body-shops.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/40294-auto-body-shop-again.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/39347-body-shop-driving-me-nuts-w-weird-haze.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/75238-pulling-out-rotory-holograms-black-help.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/48133-fresh-paint-swirled.html

groundup
12-11-2011, 06:45 PM
If the orange peel is that bad on the bumper then it would be just as easy for the shop to watersand and then reclear..assuming the texture is in the clear and not the paint. There is too many places on the bumper that a buffer just cant get too. Bumpers are the easiest thing to paint and clear as long it is done off the car and on a proper bumper stand.

And no..not all bodyshops are bad a buffing. Atleast they know when not to sand thru the clear and if they were to sand thru... then its in the right place. Many but not all detail guys will just try to cover it up with touch up or even a magic marker just so they dont have to pay to have it repainted.

C. Charles Hahn
12-11-2011, 07:10 PM
There is too many places on the bumper that a buffer just cant get too.

Not necessarily true. Depends on the vehicle -- with the right setup you can get into the vast majority of areas on many bumper covers.

not all bodyshops are bad a buffing.

Never said all of them were. Just a substantial number of them.

Atleast they know when not to sand thru the clear and if they were to sand thru... then its in the right place.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Engineering/Geotechnical/PublishingImages/redflag.gif

Many but not all detail guys will just try to cover it up with touch up or even a magic marker just so they dont have to pay to have it repainted.

:lol: Wow. Yep, you sure joined the right forum if you`re looking to be surrounded by hacks :hm

duke4ever
12-12-2011, 02:06 AM
2005-2007 Nissan Pathfinder Bumper Cover - Replacement N010322PQ - Front, Primered, Plastic, CAPA certified, OE replacement (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQNissanQQPathfinderQQReplacementQQBumper_CoverQQ2 0052007QQN010322PQ.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85 c7ab9e&apwidxvhey4g)

That is my bumper cover :)

C. Charles Hahn
12-12-2011, 07:43 AM
2005-2007 Nissan Pathfinder Bumper Cover - Replacement N010322PQ - Front, Primered, Plastic, CAPA certified, OE replacement (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQNissanQQPathfinderQQReplacementQQBumper_CoverQQ2 0052007QQN010322PQ.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85 c7ab9e&apwidxvhey4g)

That is my bumper cover :)

My statement stands. For the most part that would not be a problem in the hands of someone competent.

Richard Grasa
12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I`d actually ask the bodyshop to let you see the equipment they would be using to do the wetsand/buffing. If all they have is a big ole rotary with a dirty wool pad, stay the heck away.

JohnKleven
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Most body work is warrantied for life. Just tell them the texture doesn`t match and you would like it wet sanded and they should take care of it for you. Keep in mind you need to have realistic expectations, they will not sand in every nook and crannie and likely they will leave swirls from the rotary polisher. After they are done make sure the paint has no sanding scratches ie DA marks in it and satisfactory in regards to orange peel, then take it home hit with a quick polish and put a coat of wax on it. Best of luck!

groundup
12-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry Shiny Lil Detlr...didnt mean to offend your abilities. I may be new here but with 5yrs as a detailer and then 16yrs running a bodyshop might just qualify me to know a little about this kind of work. But I am truely sorry if I offended anyone. I guess I shouldnt get offensive when I see a generalized negative statement written about bodyshops. There are hacks in every field.

But lets be realistic tho...no one is going to sand and buff in every nook and crannie like others here will agree. Especially on a Nissan Pathfinder bumper like that one.

The body shop probably sprayed only two coats of clear(which is standard) Sand and buff that then you will be left with maybe one coat of clear and that will be all the UV protection you will have.

Try to get the bodyshop to watersand and put two more coats of clear. Just suggest them to turn up their pressure or back off the fluid volume..( no you better not do that..they may get offended) but do whatever it takes to get it slick or atleast closer to the factory grain of your original paint. Good Luck!

Ron Ketcham
12-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Groundup, I understand what you are saying.

However, as you are aware, there is a big difference between operating a for profit business, with all the start up cost, equipment, taxes, employee`s, dealing with insurance carriers, etc and an enthusist and what they are seeking.

Grumpy

Barry Theal
12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Bring it down to me :buffing: I sand it out fo you. I`ve been known to fix a few body shop hack jobs!