PDA

View Full Version : dust on clear radio display plastic

imported_tuffluck
12-07-2011, 05:10 PM
whatever the plastic is that covers my radio and my speedometer on my car is very delicate. i test drove a few of my cars before i got my own, and even the "new" ones had scratches already. do you guys know how to get the dust off of these? i would think a MF towel that passes a cd test would pass the radio plastic application too...but i don`t want to try it until someone confirms that will probably work :)

Bill D
12-07-2011, 05:15 PM
I`d use the softest/ best known non scratching MF you have and use it with Novus #1 or Plexus for those plastic surfaces.

tom p.
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I`d use the softest/ best known non scratching MF you have and use it with Novus #1 or Plexus for those plastic surfaces.

+1. Same here, PLEXUS is a home run on many surfaces.

I recently found a Monster LED TV cleaning kit with its own special MF towel. Works really well. I bought a 2nd tiny kit for the car :)

togwt
12-07-2011, 05:33 PM
The screen is highly static and tends to attract dust like a magnet; so do not attempt to remove dust with a dry cloth. Use a damp 100% cotton micro fibre towel and electronics `safe` anti-static cleaner (Kiwi Brands Endustâ„¢ for Electronics or Plexus® Plastic Cleaner, Protectant & Polish to remove light surface scratches) also works well on both computer monitors and television screens. Wrap a micro fibre towel around a q-tip to get the corners.

Do not use a product that uses a stronger ratio of isopropyl alcohol than 1:1 (50%) as more than that could damage the screens.

A screen protection film would be good insurance against scratches

imported_tuffluck
12-07-2011, 06:03 PM
thanks guys...something like this?

Amazon.com: Vega Plexus Spray Cleaner-7 oz Can: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Vega-Plexus-Spray-Cleaner-7-Can/dp/B002MQAWIA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323298962&sr=8-2)

is there anywhere i can get it locally? if i wait for that stuff to ship the dust may get so intense i may not be able to see my speedo display after a couple of days!

Bill D
12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Yep. That would be it. If you have a good motorcycle dealer/Harley Davidson dealer near you,they ought to have it or the Novus

imported_tuffluck
12-08-2011, 07:15 PM
thanks, i actually got some today. easy peasy and it looks great! i probably overpaid a little and the people in the ducatti store thought i was crazy, but hey, what we do for our cars, right...