PDA

View Full Version : Washing MF wax removal, all-purpose, and glass towels together?

Pages : [1] 2

PowerHaus930
12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
When I got my MF towels I washed them all together, but now that I have used them what should I was together/seperately? I have drying towels, all-purpose towels, glass towels, OCW wax towels, and my MF chennile wash mitts/sponges. I figured I would wash my mitts/sponges seperately as well as the drying towels but I dont want to have to do five very small loads of laundry because it seems wasteful. Any ideas?

Accumulator
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
PowerHaus930- Sometimes I think the multiple loads are simply mandatory to avoid cross-contamination, but I usually do it this way:

-Drying MFs

-Glass towels

-Really nasty MFs

-Really nice MFs

-Cotton towels

Yep, that turns out to be those five loads you were hoping to avoid, but if the "really nasty" ones aren`t all that bad you could do a pre-wash on those and then add in the nice ones for the regular cycle. I don`t have any problems doing my LSP/wash/all-purpose towels together; I`m more concerned with how dirty things are.

While I undertand the benefits of doing textiles right away, I`ll often let my used towels build up until I have loads big enough to be worth doing. If something has me worried (about the waiting) I`ll give it a spritz of APC/Dawn/something and I sometimes have a soak-bucket for the same kind of thing.

Lonnie
12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
That brings up another issue of what detergents/soaps/cleaning agents to use to get "dirty" microfiber clothes REALLY clean.

I have been using Super Clean (formerly Castrol) the Purple Stuff, cleaner-degreaser to wash my clothes in and then do a double-rinse and add white vinegar to the last rinse cycle.

Granted, you wouldn`t get out "stains` like tar and some paint pigments (from single-stage paints), or exhaust tip carbon, but it does a good job on waxes and polishes. I`ve used Super Clean to clean polishing pads and if it works on them, it seems to work on microfiber clothes.

I have not used a dedicated microfiber cleaning/wash soap, so I cannot comment if that is the way to go or not. I used to use Tide with Dawn, but P&G (Procter-and-Gamble) does not make that anymore.

What ever happen to Charlie`s Soaps that were all the rage some years ago, both their All-Purpose Cleaner and detergent??

Bill D
12-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I exclusively use Charlie`s Soap for my household laundry duties. I also use it for my MFs but I often pre treat with Dawn, an APC, even LA`s Totally Awesome. I`m sure to do the final rinse with vinegar. I have MFs that are over 8 years old, still performing well!

Lonnie
12-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Bill D:

LA`s Totally Awesome doesn`t seem to get enough credit as a viable cleaner, probably because it`s cheap and comes from General Dollar stores and the like. I would like to hear some more posts from Autopians how they use use this soap/cleaner and their results. I have it, but I really cannot admit to using alot. I washed a garage`s walls once with it because I ran out of Megs APC and it worked pretty good on spider dots (AKA poops) that can be a real bugger to remove without alot of hard scrubbing. But I digress... back to the cleaning of microfiber cloths.

Nth Degree
12-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I love LA`s Totally Awesome. I learned about it from a post on a forum a little less than a year ago. I picked some up to test it out and now use it all the time, primarily tires and wheel wells. It is great when something is really dirty and requires a lot of APC, like really bad floor mats or seat belts. Don`t have to think twice about how much I use. Always test a spot, first, of course. Hadn`t thought about using it as a pre-soak for my towels. Time to do some:washing:.

tom p.
12-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Bill D:

LA`s Totally Awesome doesn`t seem to get enough credit as a viable cleaner,

I`ve heard of this product, but have never tried it. Which one of the product do you use? Laundry Detergent? APC? They have a bunch. Thx.

Nth Degree
12-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I`ve heard of this product, but have never tried it. Which one of the product do you use? Laundry Detergent? APC? They have a bunch. Thx.

The APC, (Yellow one). The sprayers on them suck, though, so if you can find the bigger bottles without the sprayer it is a better deal.

Bill D
12-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes the yellow APC. I buy a gallon`s worth every time I visit a dollar store. I do wheel well and undercarriage cleaning with it as well as cleaning the garage floor and many household jobs with it. For Florida homes with outdoor screen enclosures, it brightens up the frame without fear of corroding the screws/bolts. I often use it diluted to get even more mileage out of it and it works effectively.

imported_tuffluck
12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
you guys are nuts! :D

i wash them all together and it hasn`t given me any grief. the only thing i don`t like is when something else gets included in the wash and fuzz sticks on the nap of the MF towels.

Nth Degree
12-09-2011, 12:52 AM
you guys are nuts! :D

Not nuts... OCD is an illness.:sick::loco:

tom p.
12-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Got it, thanks, Nth.

WaxManRonnie
12-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Unless they`re extremely nasty, I wash them all together. And I use Tide. They come out perfect and I don`t have to waste time with additional loads.

Bill D
12-09-2011, 08:05 AM
I think it`s worth the while to wash glass MFs in their own load. If it can prevent residue cross transfer, I don`t mind it.

Accumulator
12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I think it`s worth the while to wash glass MFs in their own load. If it can prevent residue cross transfer, I don`t mind it.

I do it primarily to avoid the chance of MF lint contaminating the glass towels.