PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Resto - Barry Theal Article

dschribs
12-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Was doing a search on headlight restoration this morning and a few posts mentioned an article written by Barry Theal on the subject.

- Anyone have that post bookmarked or saved & care to share the link?

- Or maybe Barry himself can help me out...

Thanks!!!

dschribs
12-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Found it!!!!

Understanding headlamp repair - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/34259-understanding-headlamp-repair.html)

Barry Theal
12-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Here ya go straight from my new Blog.

Understanding Headlight Repair an article by Barry Theal of Lancaster PA. Car detailing at its best in Pennsylvania. | Presidential Details (http://presidentialdetails.com/?p=129)

dschribs
12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks Barry!!

Quick question. Working on a 2000 Honda civic. A daily driver. Do I need to start out as aggressive as 600 or 800 grit?? I see lots of guys starting out with 1500 - moving up to 3000 - then doing their polishing steps. You`re actually finishing with 1500 grit...

My final step would be with a sealant (845, Rejex - something along those lines) rather than the sort of UV coating that you finish up with.

Thanks!!

uniquedetailing
12-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks Barry!!

Quick question. Working on a 2000 Honda civic. A daily driver. Do I need to start I`ve out as aggressive as 600 or 800 grit?? I see lots of guys starting out with 1500 - moving up to 3000 - then doing their polishing steps. You`re actually finishing with 1500 grit...

My final step would be with a sealant (845, Rejex - something along those lines) rather than the sort of UV coating that you finish up with.

Thanks!!

I`ve been using the same system as Barry but the answer to your question, it really depends how bad the oxidation is. If you can remove it all with 1500 then start there if not go more aggressive but finish high as possible be easier polishing out.

Mobilejay
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
So what is the product that is being used in the article? I am curious about it and would like to try it out. Thanks

Mobilejay
08-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Can this be used with any type of lexan? Anything from Motorcycle windshields, plane windows/windshields etc. I don`t ever recall seeing a motorcycles windshield yellowing and same with a plane`s windows. If there are just scratches on those two types of windows would sanding them down and using this coating work or would it make problems?