PDA

View Full Version : I`m seeing many people use 845IW as a topper??????

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I have seen quite a few threads in the past few months where people are using Colli 845IW as a topper.

I have always felt that due to the high chemical content (solvents?) that 845IW would remove much (most) of what it is being applied over.

I know I will not use it as a topper and I am hoping to get some opinions from those of you that have a good deal of experience with 845IW to potentially assist others from reducing their objective when they use 845IW as a topper...

Let`s talk.....

Accumulator
12-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I use it as a "topper" over 476S, but I put it in scare-quotes because I let the 476S cure/whatever first, and don`t believe the 845 compromises it. It`s the "Collinite sandwich" approach of 845-476S-845 that simply works best for me (I then just refresh the 845 as needed for a long, long time).

I dunno about the 845`s solvents messing with previously-applied LSPs, but I guess there are a few variables there that might make all the diff.

But otherwise, yeah, I agree about it being questionable. Some people talk about topping KSG with 845, and IME/IMO it`s a lot better to just put on more KSG, unless there`s some big motivation to alter its look. The 845 won`t be more durable than more KSG or anything like that and will preclude adding more KSG later.

Other than my "Collinite sandwich", I`d say to just pick the right LSP for the application and use it all by itself.

Leadfootluke
12-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Can you spit-shine 845 to neutralize some of the solvents to allow it to better "layer" without compromising the previous layers bond?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I use it as a "topper" over 476S, but I put it in scare-quotes because I let the 476S cure/whatever first,

And therein lies the huge caveat!!! Letting the 1st layer of whatever FULLY cure is the only way I see this as being a remotely viable process.

From what I can tell (read) from the threads I have read over the past few, it seems as though the users are doing it as a topper immediately after application of the 1st layer of whatever....

Thx for pointing that out.....

Accumulator
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
And therein lies the huge caveat!!! Letting the 1st layer of whatever FULLY cure is the only way I see this as being a remotely viable process.

From what I can tell (read) from the threads I have read over the past few, it seems as though the users are doing it as a topper immediately after application of the 1st layer of whatever....

That does get trickier..note that I`ve used 845 immediately after products that fill, including some of the Meguiar`s "Pure Polishes" (which I consider pretty fragile) and I`ve never had a problem with the 845 messing with them. I just recently did 845 immediately after 1Z WaxPolishSoft, and there was no sign of solvent effect, and on the panel in question it woulda been pretty obvious.

Not :argue or anything, just saying that it doesn`t cause issues for me, at least not that I can recall. But that sure doesn`t mean that it wouldn`t cause problems with some other underlying product(s) and when I do that Collinite sandwich I definitely wait at least a day between the layers unless it`s some weird situation where I just can`t do that.

TroyScherer
12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I have used #845 on top of a sealant for winter before... It has always been either Menz PowerLocl or Klasse SG.

Did #845 remove some of the MPL when I applied it maybe. I`m not really sure. But I have never had enough durability from MPL on its own to make it through the winter here. But when topped with #845 I have had no problems. Maybe I could have just used #845 but I choose to apply MPL 1st.

Klasse SG on the other hand is a totally different animal. KSG is a bullet proof LSP IMO.... I have chosen to top it in the winter for my own peace of mind but never needed to. I am confident that #845 has not removed any of my KSG during application.

How do I know? I guess I don`t really but when a car with MPL / #845 only takes 1 dawn wash to remove any sign of beading after winter and KSG / #845 takes 3 to get the job done; I am pretty sure the KSG is still there.

I do think your point is well made though. #845 on top of almost any beauty nuba will surely remove it. And IMO some of todays polymer sealants aren`t strong enough to resist #845 either.

Also I have always waited about a week to "top" and sealant with #845 as I want to ensure that everything has properly cured....

imported_reeeko99
12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I agree, the previous sealant needs to cure properly before applying 845.

I usually wait 24 hrs if I`m in a hurry or the following week otherwise between a layer of 476 and 845 or multiple coats either for that matter.

But the smell of solvent in 845 sure makes you think twice....

Good topic...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
But the smell of solvent in 845 sure makes you think twice....

Yuuuuuppppp!!!