PDA

View Full Version : OptiCoat or similar to protect Polished Stainless Steel?

A.Bursell
11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
My car is OptiCoated, and so far so good. I`m going to be installing an exhaust with polished stainless tips on it soon. I`d love to have a product that can perform a similar function as OC does on the paint, but for the exhaust tips.

Can you use OC on polished stainless? Is there a similar or better product for this application? I don`t need the ultimate shine but would like it more for keeping the really nice new look, with minimal maintenance if possible. Protection is my goal.

Recommendations?

Adam

chrisguga
11-30-2011, 10:59 PM
The popular choice is usually Blackfire Wet Diamond all metal sealant. I just bought some and haven`t had a chance to use it yet, but I researched extensively and this was always the most common recommendation. It`s great on wheels and metal surfaces. The bottle states it`s good on any metal and anything clear coated as well. Supposedly it`s super slick so dirt doesn`t stick well at all.

A.Bursell
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I did a quick Google and the stuff is a little pricey. I`m going to look into it a little more before buying it-- but I suppose if it works it`s worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to toss them out there...

Adam

JohnKleven
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Collinite Metal Wax works great, and it`s very reasonably priced, or put a nano coating like Matrix on there, and it should be very durable.

Jngrbrdman
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Blackfire and wolfgang have some good metal sealants. I`ve been using the Wolfgang version on my motorcycles for years and it has done a great job of protecting it. I recently used the Blackfire version all over the leading edges of a private jet, so we`ll see how well it does at protecting it from bugs sticking to it. I`ve got high hopes because both those brands produce nothing but top notch quality product.

Kean
12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
I`ve been getting good results from FK1000P on the stainless tips of my `10 Challenger (which isn`t a surprise since it has worked so well for me keeping other things clean like wheels). The lower edges get stained quite a bit just over the course of a week but with the FK applied, they clean up with just soap an water. ....before that, the stains were much more stubborn.

I have been thinking about applying OC myself since I have some on hand and it`s a more permanent solution. In my case, the tips are relatively easy to access for polishing so I figure in a worse case scenario (i.e. the OC doesn`t work out) I can simply buff off the product and switch back to FK.

A.Bursell
12-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Adam