PDA

View Full Version : Sealant/wax longevity question

cpa5oh
11-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I`ve got a question about sealant/wax longevity that I think is a little different than any of the threads I`ve read on here...

About a month ago, after an attempt at a full correction using a Porter Cable/foam pads/Meguiars 105 and 205, I put two coats of Chemical Guys`s Blacklight on my black Camaro. Ever since I`ve washed the car about once a week using Optimum`s No Rinse. I have always followed that wash up with some kind of spray wax/instant detailer...I used Hybrid V07 a few times, Optimum Instant Detailer, and the last few times Duragloss Aquawax.

So my question is, given I`m always using ONR and an instant detailer/spray wax of some sort, my car is always looking shiny, feeling slick, and beading water. How would I ever know if the Blacklight is still there and protecting or not?

Associated with that question...does it even matter if the Blacklight is still there given I`m using an instant detailer/spray wax after EVERY wash (and sometimes in between washes?)

I used Poorboys` QD+ one time on my daily driver Scion TC and it was slick with water beading on it for a few weeks...so either the instant detailer/spray wax is good enough as far as protection or it`s hiding the fact that I`ve got no protection...

bill57
11-26-2011, 12:23 AM
You`ve got protection. Many of us use Aw or something like it after washes to keep the sealant or wax under it protected. Ideally, the spray product becomes the sacrificial layer, so that it - and not the sealant underneath - wears from washing and environmental exposure.

Scottwax
11-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Between the QD, ONR and the wax, you should be fine for a while, plus I am sure your car looks great. I have Optimum Coating on my car, still going strong after 2 years but I still add OCW to ONR when I wash it just to add some pop. You can do the same with your car, or just reapply the wax every couple of months whether it seems like it needs it or not. With your current regiment, you will have a hard time figuring out when it is actually time to rewax.